Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever watch Discovery Animal Planet...

Options
  • 17-07-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

...and see a creature and wonder what it tastes like?

I mean, take the duck-billed platypus. I always wonder if it would taste like fish or like duck. Or like chicken.

And panda. Would that taste like beef or chicken? And what would you serve it with - a creamy sauce, or a more meaty gravy?

So, what creature would you like to see on your plate, or perhaps in between two buns with a dollop of ketchup?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I reckoning that a nice steak of Blue Whale would be interesting, one of the most interesting things would be the size of the pan they'd cook it in!
    I mean, picture the size of the Bundys it's take to wrap around that!
    Probably a lot of lettuce as well.
    Would such a burger be considered "Super Sized"?
    Would MaccyD's give you a medium cola as standard?

A side order of crispy chimp ears may be taking it a tad too far though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Probably a lot of lettuce as well

What? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I know Des, I know.

Lettuce FFS

In the old days Smashey would have come around and . . . . . err . . . . . smashed anyone with veggie tendencies around here.

*sigh*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Apologies about using the "L" word, I was imagining building the burger in the eyeline of my missus, the lettuce would of course be discarded, quietly, before consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I had an Ostrich burger (though it was more of a fillet) in a restaurant in Dublin (don't think it is on the menu anymore) and it was lovely

It had a distinctive taste but not unlike beef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And panda. Would that taste like beef or chicken? And what would you serve it with - a creamy sauce, or a more meaty gravy?
    With sweet and sour sauce!

As for the L word, it can be a necessary evil, it keeps the bun from getting too soggy.

Had octopus before, was really chewy, not great at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I think bear would produce a fine steak. Marinade it with plenty of spices and salt and pepper and smash that aul bad boy on a big BBQ. Serve with plenty of very buttery mash and let the blood run into them turning them red. Oh yes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Had octopus before, was really chewy, not great at all.

Yeah, I had octopus last year and I chewed it for about 5 hours. Wasn't the most visually appealing either. Good job I was hammered.
    greetings wrote: »
    I think bear would produce a fine steak. Marinade it with plenty of spices and salt and pepper and smash that aul bad boy on a big BBQ. Serve with plenty of very buttery mash and let the blood run into them turning them red. Oh yes :D

Noice. Yum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

red panda...pan fried...yes, or a lion burger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Nat Geo Wild is better.
    One word,
    Hogzilla,
    Check it out

• Advertisement

I saw a programme earlier called 'Cannibal Hippos'. The hippos' carcasses looked delicious. I can just picture one left hung over an open fire being roasted for several hours. So big,but so tender.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

greetings wrote: »
    I saw a programme earlier called 'Cannibal Hippos'. The hippos' carcasses looked delicious. I can just picture one left hung over an open fire being roasted for several hours. So big,but so tender.

I have it on good authority that the breast of the hippo is the most tender meat. After that it's the meat along the back.

I think armadillo would be interesting. Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zebra and then all the memebers of the ibex family and then I would start on all the
    different types of moose, elk, deer and antelope.

Really the canivores are not all that tasty from what I have been told.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Zebra and then all the memebers of the ibex family and then I would start on all the

The deer would be my preference. It won't be gracefully running after I tear into it's lean,barbeque sauce soaked thighs.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thaedydal wrote: »

I've had antelope, or gazelle, or springbok. Not sure what it was really other than a distant relative of Bambi. Pretty good too, iirc.

It's be like some sort of drinking game, having Gazelle on the BBQ, a National Geo DVD in the player, and everytime a lion takes one down, you have to turf into it using only your teeth.
    Good points: Fun times promised
    Bad points: chin burns from dripping fat, not recommended for owners of beards.

Or for women,or men who are afraid of stuffing their faces with delicious barbeque,aka,wo-men.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's be like some sort of drinking game, having Gazelle on the BBQ, a National Geo DVD in the player, and everytime a lion takes one down, you have to turf into it using only your teeth.
    Good points: Fun times promised

You, sir, are a legend.

*notes idea for next BBQ*

Advertisement