Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Documentaries

Options
  • 16-07-2010 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I love watching any movies about rappers or hip hop scenes, so I thought a thread to share our favourite ones would be a good idea. So tell us about you're favourite hip-hop docs and if they're legally available link us.

Big Pun: The Legacy

I just finished watching this. Pun has always been one of my favourite lyricists and this movie gives a great insight into his story, from his childhood background to his early days in the game to his development into one of the greatest ever rappers. It equally covers his career and his personal life and it's absolutely amazing the number of talking heads they got in on this, from Raekwon to Xzibit to Snoop to Lord Tariq. Try and check it out.

The Carter
    tumblr_l16soydOtj1qzc4eao1_1280.gif?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1279381106&Signature=81rGZBCT1xrLEq3646ygMAPPxx4%3D

The Carter follows Lil Wayne from the release of Tha Carter III up to the recording of Rebirth. It's an all access, fly on the wall type documentary covering the period where Weezy was both blowing up and breaking down. It highlights him coming to terms with success and his deepening surp addiction. It's a great film, Wayne is really charismatic and there's great segments of him laying down tracks, aswell as turning his back on childhood friends. He actually tried to get a court injunction to stop the film's release and has publicly disowned the movie.

and speaking of surp
    VBS.TV: Screwed in Houston

This edition of VBS TV's music world covers the Houston scene, chopped and screwed and its connection with syrup abuse, codeine cough syrup drinking. It's light enough and the interviewer is hilarious. Part one is linked above, you'll have to search around for the rest as its not on the VBS site anymore, but its still legal.

Biggie and Tupac
    biggie-and-tupac.jpg

Biggie and Tupac is a documentary seeking to expose the conspiracy underlying their murders. I'm not really into conspiracy theories, and i find the interviewer grating as hell but it's still an interesting watch and covers the history of the east coast/west coast rivalry as well. The whole thing is legally available to watch here on 4OD
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/biggie-and-tupac/4od#2919859

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

It's not hip hop but 'American Pimp' is pretty dohpey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

That Weezy documentary was really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Freestyle:The Art Of Rhyme is decent enough, The Hip Hop Years on channel 4 years ago was quite good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I absolutely love The Carter Documentary aswell. I knew I would going in as a big Wayne fan but it was above my expectations. He didnt support it because he felt it portayed him as dependant on syrup, but I thought it was fascinating how he acted and performed in the booth when he was on it compared to not. The scene right after he gets tatooted where he moves along to one of his unreleased tracks had me in awe, and the internet blew up looking for it on Weezy fan sites on twitter as it was coined "30 mins to New Orleans".

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

Check out Scratch, its the history of turntablism.

Rhyme & Reason

The Show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Show is excellent, there is another one called Deep Crates which is supposed to be really good. It's sitting on a shelf gathering dust for the past 2 or 3 years now, must actually watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Jay Ru wrote: »
    Check out Scratch, its the history of turntablism.

I could watch this all day long, watching YoMTVRaps back in the 80's and seeing DJs cuttin' and scratchin' made me want to do nothing else, I finally started a short few years later after my brother bought me the equipment I needed..
    Check out Style Wars, BOMB, also check out Wild Style, not a doumentary but still very important with alot of the early stars of hip hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Biggie & Tupac, Life After Death 10 Years On (D-Roc made this about Biggie), Both Junior Mafia DVDs, The Big Pun DVD, and a few others name escapes me right now!

colin29 wrote: »
    I could watch this all day long, watching YoMTVRaps back in the 80's and seeing DJs cuttin' and scratchin' made me want to do nothing else, I finally started a short few years later after my brother bought me the equipment I needed..
    Check out Style Wars, BOMB, also check out Wild Style, not a doumentary but still very important with alot of the early stars of hip hop.

seen em all dude, absolutely love Wildstyle, must dig it out and watching it again

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jay Ru......thank you so much! When I saw the thread title, I came in to post if anyone saw The Show. I rememeber it from years ago. Wu-tang were unreal on stage, then hilarious all arguing on a bus.

Anyoen know where I can get this? I was looking for ages but couldn't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Jay Ru......thank you so much! When I saw the thread title, I came in to post if anyone saw The Show. I rememeber it from years ago. Wu-tang were unreal on stage, then hilarious all arguing on a bus.

Anyoen know where I can get this? I was looking for ages but couldn't find it.
    I have it on VHS

you can get it from amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Show-Craig-Mack/dp/B00023GG7Q

i think the whole thing is on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cool! Will go youtube surfing tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Downloaded The Carter documentary lastnight and really enjoyed it. I love his reaction when the German(?) journalist was asking him about jazz & poetry and he just ended the interview. Also who are those two stunning latino girls he travels with??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

For everyone who liked The carter documentary check out the Nino Brown story parts 1+2. Part 2 is a behind the scenes of No ceilings good viewing sick mixtape. Fade to black is also well worth a watch was on RTE recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Glottal Mots

Raekwon wrote: »
    I love his reaction when the German(?) journalist was asking him about jazz & poetry and he just ended the interview.

Ha, yeah i was pissing myself at that bit

Advertisement