Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fruit and Veg market?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Does anyone shop for fruit and veg at the Dublin Corporation Fruit market? Am sick of having poor selection and pre packaged stuff at supermarket, I like to feel before I buy:D! Also, is it necessary to go at 5am? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I dont shop there but I believe that you need to buy in bulk from them as it's not a regular commercial fruit n veg place, but a wholesaler that supplies other shops around Dublin. I walk by there regularly as I live a few mins walk from it, will enquire about it anyway and post back.

Oh early in the day would be best to get your choice of fresh food yes, but I'm not quite sure what time they are open.

There are lovely home grown fruit and veg stalls in the ifi market on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Howth and St.Annes park have farmers markets on sundays too, really nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Dublin Food Coop www.dublinfood.coop

It is in newmarket square... open 9.30 - 4.30 on a saturday, does a great range of organic veg.. not cheap but really good quality so you dont need to buy a lot.. and their staples ie beans, grains, washing powders are a lot cheaper than healthfood stores or supermarkets

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Oh I totally forgot to respond to this thread >.<

The opening time for the market is 6am and normally closes by 11am, commercial produce can be bought but in bulk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

never shopped at the Corpo market, but there's tons of markets at the mo,

check out these bad boys:

* http://www.supernatural.ie/
    [andrews centre is about a third of the way down pearse st]

http://www.irishfarmersmarkets.ie/markets/marketlist.html

also ranelagh now has a fixed one, think it's a wee bit pricier, but delicious.
    [for the tunatarians, apparently the fish is excellent!]

* sorry i forget how to make those into proper link things. Oh it just happened! Yip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Interesting place to look around in the morning. Most of the cities smaller fruit and vegetables shops and even some stalls would source from there. As other posters said it only sells in bulk but if you band together with friends even the non veggie that like to eat fruit or veg it could be a cheap and fresh alternative. The Dept of Agri compile a mon-fri list of average market prices at the market. If you click on the link below and scroll down the page a bit I think you be surprised by how cheap it is to shop in bulk. The table lists the case size and count.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/agri-foodindustry/tradeexports/dublinwholesalemarketprices/

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭face2face

Thanks very much everyone for all the responses.

Advertisement