Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Incident with foreigner students

Options
  • 15-07-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,

last evening there was a small incident in Bray seafront, where 2 thirteen year old girls were surrounded by spanish (could have been Italian) students and one of them touched one of the girl's bum and all laughed at them. The girl in question is my sister-in-law, and she felt quite upset about it.

I know is not a big deal but my mother-in-law would like to put a complain soemwhere but we dont know where. Basically we want someone to tell these kids that this behaviour is not acceptable, although i know is difficult since there are thousands of students in Bray at the moment and they all come with different agencies.
    Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

beatrice33 wrote: »
    Hi,

last evening there was a small incident in Bray seafront, where 2 thirteen year old girls were surrounded by spanish (could have been Italian) students and one of them touched one of the girl's bum and all laughed at them. The girl in question is my sister-in-law, and she felt quite upset about it.

I know is not a big deal but my mother-in-law would like to put a complain soemwhere but we dont know where. Basically we want someone to tell these kids that this behaviour is not acceptable, although i know is difficult since there are thousands of students in Bray at the moment and they all come with different agencies.
    Any advice will be appreciated.

There's an international school on the way down into Greystones. Maybe ring them and ask where to complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Best of luck with it and please don't be initially discouraged by the stark unwillingness to engage which I assume you will meet - You may need to be mindful of our States poor past and present record in any and all related areas etc.

- We did after all breed, nurture and unleash the horrific Beast that is the HSE, living as it is on the Misery of others and serving only its own financial and careerist interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

try ATC language school on the Seafront beside espanade hotel

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't call a sexual assault on a thirteen year old 'not a big deal'.
    The students who did that knew well it was not acceptable, hence their laughing. It wouldn't be the school I'd be contacting, it would be the guards.
    Rattle their cages a bit for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

spurious wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a sexual assault on a thirteen year old 'not a big deal'.
    The students who did that knew well it was not acceptable, hence their laughing. It wouldn't be the school I'd be contacting, it would be the guards.
    Rattle their cages a bit for them.

+1

13 year olds of any sex are a mess of insecurities and normal confidence issues even when in certain everyday situations or whatever, I have no problem believing that this could be upsetting on many different levels that they might not handle easily.

- The very fact that this issue is correctly and comprehensively addressed should go most of the way towards reassuring them in certain regards.

I'd assume that a couple of Squad Car visits to the Language Schools will make them attempt to deflect the bad press involved by perhaps revising whatever conduct guidelines they pass on to Students - Perhaps something in the order of sent home without a refund etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

yeah talk to the guards about it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A friend of mine had a similar random groping from school kids in a Dublin suburb a few years ago. She phoned the gards who were very sympathetic and they called into the school to talk to the class.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'd definitely go to the guards and make a formal complaint about the incident. You could also contact the language schools in the area informing them about the incident and that a formal complaint has been made to the guards. It might wake up the schools who organise these trips over here and maybe encourage them to ensure that their students behave themselves better when they're over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

That was very scary for those two girls. I hope they are o.k.
    I think a gang of kids whether Irish or Spanish when abroad will do things that they think they can get away with. It may be that these are not the only girls they hassled that night. Better then to tell the guards, so that they are in the picture. Wouldn't you think that with all the people down on Bray Prom that two teenagers would be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

Thank you so much everyone for all the advice.

We are going to contact the garda and the language schools.
    The two girls are fine, thank you for asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

You mean a whole week has passed and you still haven't done anything about it? Can't expect our uniformed guardians to pull rabbits out of hats, besides these student's might've gone home by now

Advertisement