Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New IR carriages need repairs

• 15-07-2010 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭

What a f***ing joke, I know they say CAF will pay for the repairs but surely the deliveries shouldn't hav been accepted in the first place, sounds like the dart 8200 units all over again
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0715/rail.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't see the problem. The problems likely only became apparent after the trains were in use for a while and CAF are picking up the tab anyway. If you buy a car under warranty and end up bringing it into the garage after a few months, are you a fool for having bought the car in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Stark wrote: »
    I don't see the problem. The problems likely only became apparent after the trains were in use for a while and CAF are picking up the tab anyway. If you buy a car under warranty and end up bringing it into the garage after a few months, are you a fool for having bought the car in the first place?

Good point, I never really thought of it like that, I suppose its just my frustration having to pass through clontarf station and seeing the alstom carriages sitting there, I really hope it doesnt happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

IÉ surely tested the carriages before they were used for services and should have found the issue then.
    RUI had discussions about this back in the days before they were rui.

If there has been an issue since 206, then surely IÉ should have refunded their customers for failing to provide a service up to their high standards....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

IE are still to blame: they should have kept the shagging mkIIIs in service (still loads and loads of sh!ttier mkIIIs over the water all running away merrily) and spent the millions on actually FIXING the Dublin-Cork (flagship!!!) railway, rebuilding the foundations if needed. The permanent way is the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Lets be honest its doesn't really matter what the problem was, IE will always be at fault in the eyes of the majority. People love to hate them. If there's any chance to apportion the blame then they'll get it.

Thats not a defense of them, just an observation of years posting on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Lets be honest its doesn't really matter what the problem was, IE will always be at fault in the eyes of the majority. People love to hate them. If there's any chance to apportion the blame then they'll get it.

Thats not a defense of them, just an observation of years posting on boards.ie.

Well that's because it usually is their fault. In this case over a year ago this tender for repairs was first issued what has happened in the meantime? Are the carriages any nearer to being sorted out and why another tender? Meantime the same fools who oversaw this botched order are busy getting rid of perfectably serviceable MkIII's. IE should be relegated to looking after the maintenance of PW and rolling stock - under strict supervision - and all future ordering of locos, stock etc should be taken out of their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well that's because it usually is their fault. In this case over a year ago this tender for repairs was first issued what has happened in the meantime? Are the carriages any nearer to being sorted out and why another tender? Meantime the same fools who oversaw this botched order are busy getting rid of perfectably serviceable MkIII's. IE should be relegated to looking after the maintenance of PW and rolling stock - under strict supervision - and all future ordering of locos, stock etc should be taken out of their hands.
    Not even sure they are capable of that: how many speed restrictions are there across the network now? How many bridges have collapsed under IE's watch in the last 5 years? Not good enough by a mile.

Advertisement