Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny on Saturday Night With Miriam

Options
  • 10-07-2010 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

on NOW, for whoever is interested... big pressure on Enda to do better than he did on the Late Late Show...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

This time he does not have to deal with tubs and his FF agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pretty meh interview tbh. He just doesn't inspire me as a speaker at all, or interest me to any great extent. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Looks like he did give a better performance than when on the late late though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I like Enda Kenny, he's done a great job with FG, but I think I know why he doesnt convince people in interviews :

1. He is "too nice" and lacks the spine to stand up to fight his corner. He let FF-ubridy walk all over him... Tubridy quoted a number of tabloid assertions of Kenny (not having the balls to ask the questions directly himself of course) and basically asked him his opinion on these assertions. He should have called Tubridy on his i) lack of moral courage in quoting somebody as a means of asking a tough question and ii) his own FF background, and his objectivity.
    2. He lacks passion. Maybe he has been advised not to do so by whatever PR company FG employs, in case he would come across as being aggressive... or maybe it's his disciplined background being a teacher.... but I think Irish people appreciate when people fight for something they really believe in. And I never feel any true conviction/belief/passion from him.
    3. His body language / mannerisms ... he tends to nervously smile at inappropriate times (not unlike Miriam herself) .. making him seem a bit like an idiot. He should sit up straight, look the interviewer straight in the eyes, and answer the questions confidently, without smiling... and interrupt if there is something that you dont agree with...

He could learn a lot from Bill Clinton, or *get sick* Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It looks like the image is going to be the downfall of FG - ( by reading the above posts )

Ordinary people don't seem to look at their policies at all .

What will they have to do to win over the Irish people ?

• Advertisement

It looks like the image is going to be the downfall of FG - ( by reading the above posts )

Ordinary people don't seem to look at their policies at all .

What will they have to do to win over the Irish people ?

That's what annoys me, I *like* quite a few of their policies (the health one in particular), I'll probably vote FG, I just can't bring myself to like Kenny. And I *want* to!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

nesf wrote: »
    Pretty meh interview tbh. ...

Agreed. It's only a few minutes since it finished, and I watched it all -- and I can't remember anything he said.

Agreed. It's only a few minutes since it finished, and I watched it all -- and I can't remember anything he said.

I remember having to hear than "the long grass has been shorn" line over and over again. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

He could learn a lot from ..... *get sick* Bertie Ahern.

Ah Jaysus no.......Kenny mightn't be the most inspiring, but he doesn't need to get all used-car-salesman fake and and corrupt and a hundred times worse! :(

EDIT : Apologies to all decent used-car-salesmen!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

what a horrible interview never let the man talk kept repated seme **** which he kept addressing bad interviewer, this is sat nite tv not prime time, makes me remember tub interview berti the fraud all smiles and then attack enda for 20 mins, is fianna "FAIL' (the people) hiring all rte workers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

You have summed up Enda. Brilliant post. He is a nice guy, but......

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭65bl

That's what annoys me, I *like* quite a few of their policies (the health one in particular), I'll probably vote FG, I just can't bring myself to like Kenny.

Agreed but dont think i can vote for Kenny

would he be more popular,

65bl wrote: »
    Agreed but dont think i can vote for Kenny

Who else is there though? FF? Lab? I mean, I'm fairly happy with how FF dealt with the fiscal situation but I do feel it's time for a change of the guard. Labour I just can't stand really, too populist, too weak on fiscal/economic issues. I could vote Green but I'm not an environmentalist and don't feel drawn to their policies. SF and me just don't get along on policy, they're about as far as you can get from me on economic issues and stay in the mainstream of politics.

So, eh, either I don't vote at all (which feels wrong) or I vote FG.

I remember having to hear than "the long grass has been shorn" line over and over again. :/

I may have done him a favour by forgetting that infelicitous line.

It appears to me that he was once advised to illustrate any point he was making by referring to real people, and so he tries to shoehorn in mentions of individuals or groups that he encountered. For example, if asked a question on science education and the smart economy, he might mention having met with the parents' association of a national school in Wexford last Tuesday, and clumsily try to springboard his answer from there. And he is clumsy in constructing his utterances: he seems to get lost on the way from the beginning of a paragraph to its end.

He lacks the acuity to represent policy positions in succinct and memorable phrases (in other words, soundbites), and when he tries to give us soundbites provided by his backroom team, he sets them in such verbiage that seem wordy and lack bite.

Listening to Enda is like drowning in treacle.

reading the above post makes me wonder just how stupid irish people are, brian cowen has about as much charisma as my dogs ball sack, berti was a fraud , and we still put up with them ,a bunch of chickens we are who wont vote change

reading the above post makes me wonder just how stupid irish people are, brian cowen has about as much charisma as my dogs ball sack, berti was a fraud , and we still put up with them ,a bunch of chickens we are who wont vote change

As "the above post" was mine, I think you should note that I speak only for myself, and not for the Irish people.

In this thread we have not been discussing present or former leaders of FF.

In this thread we have not been discussing present or former leaders of FF.

No, but some people interpret any criticism of Kenny as coming from a FF activist. Man, I hate politics sometimes.

No, but some people interpret any criticism of Kenny as coming from a FF activist. Man, I hate politics sometimes.

It's weird especially when some FG politicians in Leinster House openly criticised Enda during the leadership heave. I know Power was their objective and when it failed, they tried to slip back into Enda's good books again. Why? Power. It's what the Bruton's and others want. They proved it before.

its just getting boring very boring, same dribble, media dublin driven, and you cant say its not true, anyway, ill def vote fg, cant wait for change, yahoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Tbh, at this stage I almost prefer Biffo to Kenny - at least Biffo can show real anger and channel it respectably - not the imitation of life that Kenny puts across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Kenny does get in a fluster when angry, but I hope one day the majority of people will vote on policies rather than showman slickness. But I guess we need the leaders get their points across first.
    Cowen has a lord of the manor vibe about him, which I don't like, apart from the obvious.

Tbh, at this stage I almost prefer Biffo to Kenny - at least Biffo can show real anger and channel it respectably - not the imitation of life that Kenny puts across.

Almost being the crucial word in that sentence. ;)

Kenny does get in a fluster when angry, but I hope one day the majority of people will vote on policies rather than showman slickness. But I guess we need the leaders get their points across first.
    Cowen has a lord of the manor vibe about him, which I don't like, apart from the obvious.

What we want is a party with solid policies with a frontman/woman who can sell them to the masses. FG have the policies but not the man, Labour the man but not the policies (imho). If only Gilmore was a blueshirt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

A general election is not about voting for a Taoiseach it is about voting for a government.

Vote for whoever but vote on policies.

I don't give a fiddlers if Enda is believable or if Biffo is charismatic.

Vote for the party you would like to form a government.

How does your opening sentence reflect on Mr Gilmore?

CoalBucket wrote: »
    A general election is not about voting for a Taoiseach it is about voting for a government.

Vote for whoever but vote on policies.

I don't give a fiddlers if Enda is believable or if Biffo is charismatic.

Vote for the party you would like to form a government.

If a Government has a crisis the Taoiseach has to calm and sell a solution to the people. Policies are all well and good but a Government needs to be able to bring the people with them when those people aren't amenable to carefully constructed policy documents (i.e. most people most of the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

If a Government has a crisis the Taoiseach has to calm and sell a solution to the people. Policies are all well and good but a Government needs to be able to bring the people with them when those people aren't amenable to carefully constructed policy documents (i.e. most people most of the time)

Thank God then that we have a great leader who takes tough decisions going forward it's important to say!

This government is not exactly bringing people with them; it is going through the motions and stepping aside when the eejit lemmings fall over the NAMA/levies/paycuts cliff.

The Taoiseach will be holidaying in a caravan park and dining on chipper food. Role modelling and the foolish electorate believe it all. They can't get enough of this man and his car crash government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Who else is there though? FF? Lab? I mean, I'm fairly happy with how FF dealt with the fiscal situation but I do feel it's time for a change of the guard. Labour I just can't stand really, too populist, too weak on fiscal/economic issues. I could vote Green but I'm not an environmentalist and don't feel drawn to their policies. SF and me just don't get along on policy, they're about as far as you can get from me on economic issues and stay in the mainstream of politics.

So, eh, either I don't vote at all (which feels wrong) or I vote FG.

NESF,
    though i m a FG supporter, i am never one for getting people to vote for negtive reaons, such as to get at someone else,e.g.
    you want a change ,and cannot stand Labour. So you must vote FG as then there may be a slight possibility that we will get Fg govt without labour or with less labour(this neg stuff is not my way ,but takes your stated comments as being your view).

Everybody who wants change needs to anaylse the candidates in their area. Ones vote can be wasted if not transferred, or worse still trapped ,untransferred in the count of a "does well but not elected"candidate.

rugbyman

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I always have my head in my hands any time Enda is speaking. Did anyone notice the queasy smirks he would come out with, the bad jokes about oxegen, the 'aww shucks dad' comments about his son, his completely blank persona that screams 'dead wood'?

I'm sure he is a nice man, but he doesn't inspire me in any way in terms of intellect or charisma. It'd be great if he at least had the former, but without the latter you are dead in politics.

Advertisement