Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I moved the boat forward by putting a few bits of pipe under the building frame and just rolled it out, next I added two 8 foot lengths of 4x2 to the boat to use as handles and to keep it off the ground.

2012-03-30170312.jpg

It was a bit tight on one side :D

2012-03-30170348.jpg

Sorry no photo of the turn as my hands were full, but with the help of 3 mates and a few beers we got her on her side then lifted it up from the bottom and over she went.

2012-03-30200211.jpg
    2012-03-30200127.jpg

For the first time she is looking like a boat :D

2012-03-30200056.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Looks superb although I struggle with the idea of it holding that big V without twisting or splintering - particularly on the trailer on a bumpy road. I know plywood and GRP are a formidable combination but ....:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The V8 can do a bit of twisting alright, I'll just have to hang on tight like these guys:D

DA%20P-9r.JPG

P-9.JPG

P-9%20boat.JPG

Neat barrel roll! The important thing is their engine didn't go under!

The first coat of epoxy on the inside I will give it one more then sand and varnish.

2012-04-20142650.jpg
    2012-04-20142716.jpg

• Advertisement

Two coats of epoxy and two of varnish and boy was it a pain to sand in between each coat.

2012-05-05121517.jpg

Hopefully I will have the engine sitting here in the next week or so :D

2012-05-05121418.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

Looking very well Fergal

Back to a proper engine:D I'm just doing a dry fit to make sure everything lines up.

Don't drop please don't drop :eek:

2012-05-14160921.jpg

Went in fine and spot on with the shaft, boy it looks big when your sitting behind it :eek: The risers are a bit higher than the deck beams that were in the plans so I will have to make up new ones with a bigger curve, I did price some nice low risers but they are silly money.

2012-05-15164759.jpg

Brummmm Brummmmm :D

2012-05-15171258.jpg

Yum that looks sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

beautiful Fergal

• Advertisement

More like scary :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

will this boat have a curved piece of timber on the front?like a bonnet and whats the best way to do it something like this only curved

davlacey wrote: »
    will this boat have a curved piece of timber on the front?like a bonnet and whats the best way to do it something like this only curved

I'm not sure what you mean :confused:

the front of the boat like the white piece on this boat

the front of the boat like the white piece on this boat

Most boats have a curved foredeck to allow water to runoff, so I'd say the one in your photo has but by the look of it not much.

yea what would be the best way to do this with thin ply covered with fiberglass?

This is the way I did it cut your curve beams to the shape of curve you want then run laths to the bow.
    010.jpg
    009.jpg
    004.jpg

cheers u did u do it in 2 pieces? and is that mdf with epoxy

cheers u did u do it in 2 pieces? and is that mdf with epoxy

It's marine ply "Don't use MDF" and as it's comes 4 ft wide I had to do in two pieces to keep the grain running in the right direction if I was going to paint it I would have done it in one piece.

I got a good deal on some oak so I started laying the deck beams.

2012-06-02170628.jpg

As you can see here the raisers and carb are a bit tall so I will have to raise the engine hatch I might design it to look like an air intake scoop.

2012-06-02170825.jpg

2012-06-02170711.jpg

There is also a lot of space under the deck but I'm not sure if I want to put another access hatch in :confused:

2012-06-02170836.jpg

• Advertisement

u could stick the fuel tank in there and have a filler cap in the centre of the deck and just have a small inspection hatch

u could stick the fuel tank in there and have a filler cap in the centre of the deck and just have a small inspection hatch

in such a small boat that needs a lot of fuel the difference in weight between a full tank and a nearly dry tank would upset the balance too much plus the bow on these boats do alot of bouncing at high speed:D
    I might just put a crawl space along one side of the engine and make the bow space into a bedroom :D

yea and a sleeping bag least u will have a roof over ur head if u get on the wrong side of the missis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

That's some nice work your doing there.

Out of interest, if you were to tear around a lake flat out for an hour on that thing how much petrol would you use?!?

whitesands wrote: »
    That's some nice work your doing there.

Out of interest, if you were to tear around a lake flat out for an hour on that thing how much petrol would you use?!?

Flat out about 3.5 MPG :eek::D

Here is a little clip of what they can do :eek:

Some where in this plank of wood is the dash :)

2012-06-11122901.jpg

Just checking what parts to cut away and what to leave.

2012-06-11123033.jpg

This is the shape I have gone for.

2012-06-11154550.jpg

Sanded and drilled for the clocks, I won't add the switches till I'm sitting in the boat and can get a feel of where to put them.

2012-06-13162440.jpg

First coat of varnish and a little look to see how it will turn out :D

2012-06-14151316.jpg

I will do another 5 or 6 coats and then compound and wax.

2012-06-14151250.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Gauges really suit the boat , nice choice.

breghall wrote: »
    Gauges really suit the boat , nice choice.

€25 on ebay :D:D:D I think I will change the bezels from gold to chrome as there is nothing else gold on the boat but there will be lots of chrome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

that was a great bargain, well done.

Advertisement