Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

The sunflowers are a lovely touch.

Its been a while,
    Have you given up or are you gearing up for the summer?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Still looking been out twice so far this year :) , this is a map of the area I covered last year the tracks are uploaded here as I go you can use this link to zoom in. https://www.genesismaps.com/SocialMap?fbclid=IwAR2c78bWhr2fXTY20C2k_orEHY-VDWz6rAK2prx_eoy0GKMCWPzhiCw_4sU when I get a bit more Tech savvy I will also be able to make a sonar mosaic of the lake showing all the boats found.

Screenshot%202019-10-30%20at%2008.40.17_zpsfmemuxij.png

Fair play,
    I wish you the best of luck.
    Keep us posted if you have time !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fergal I admire your persistence and hope it pays off. I hate to be the one to ask this but its been on my mind- is there any possibility that someone got to your boat soon after it sunk then raised it to the surface and effectively stole it? In the area where it went down would someone have had the opportunity to do that without being seen?

Other than that you've checked a very large area of the lake, Im wondering how far a boat of that size could move with undercurrents? Like can they gain momentum in stormy weather and move say 100m in the space of a couple of days? Or is it a slower process where it just does a single flip every now and again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Fergal I admire your persistence and hope it pays off. I hate to be the one to ask this but its been on my mind- is there any possibility that someone got to your boat soon after it sunk then raised it to the surface and effectively stole it? In the area where it went down would someone have had the opportunity to do that without being seen?

Other than that you've checked a very large area of the lake, Im wondering how far a boat of that size could move with undercurrents? Like can they gain momentum in stormy weather and move say 100m in the space of a couple of days? Or is it a slower process where it just does a single flip every now and again?
    I think he said before there might be inflated lifejackets or some kind of bladder in there that would have let it go wandering with the currents.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Muahahaha wrote: »

I feel if someone had lifted her I would know about it I have eyes everywhere :cool: also she is not worth a lot of money to anyone else it's not like she is a Chris craft or a Riva the cost of raising and rebuilding her would not be worth it to anyone else.

As to what happens on the bottom of the lake I have no idea I have been on it for a few years now and still don't trust what the water is like on top, on the day she sank I hit some waves that were out of sync with the others possibly a wake moving up the lake and getting bigger with the conditions its something I have seen since but its not as big a problem in a larger boat as I can ride them where in the fifteen foot I was up on one and smack down on the next, I'm sure some of you have felt this in a boat before it's hard last time it happened to me I landed my back on a railing and got winded thought I was done for as I tried to catch my last breath :eek: When I do find her I wouldn't be surprised if the motor stringer went through the bottom of the boat as I hit it so hard and she went down so quick. Time will tell hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Fergal this thread is an outstanding read during times of limited entertainment.
    You're patience is limitless.
    Hope your find your vessel.
    And keep posting about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Fergal this thread is an outstanding read during times of limited entertainment.
    You're patience is limitless.
    Hope your find your vessel.
    And keep posting about it!!

Yep, it's an amazing thread, and one day, one day *shakes fist at sky*, we (and Fergal!) are going to get one hell of a pay off!

The safe in the garage thread kinda fizzled out a bit at the very end, but this one is going to be a longform masterwork of a thread.

One day...
    One day....!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

check_six wrote: »
    Yep, it's an amazing thread, and one day, one day *shakes fist at sky*, we (and Fergal!) are going to get one hell of a pay off!

The safe in the garage thread kinda fizzled out a bit at the very end, but this one is going to be a longform masterwork of a thread.

One day...
    One day....!

It reads like a thriller. This thread could be a film.
    Guy spends years building a boat from ideas and drawings. Powers and sails it!
    Then in a plot twist it sinks out of the blue and so begins a search!
    BTW I struggle assembling Ikea bedside lockers so I appriciate how talented this guy is

• Advertisement

Well as you would expect not much searching getting done on the water but have being doing a bit of searching on the net for the best and latest bit of kit that might help me :) one of the problems I have with the under water drone is that the water is so murky that it is nearly impossible to find the boats on the sonar as I have no idea where the drone is without a visual and the sonar only works while the boat is moving, well now Garmin has come out with the LVS32 transducer with this I will be able to see the drone live while the boat is stoped and guide it towards any objects I find, in livescope mode you can look out wherever you point it and in perspective mode you can look down. If anything it should be fun to see what the drone looks like on it. :D
    Hope you are all keeping safe and well and hopefully will be back out on the water soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Wow! That is just incredible technology to have available to ordinary boaters - at any price! I remember back in the Nineties wreck hunting and GPS receivers were only just becoming available to the public. They all had Selective Error meaning +/- 100m position variation -even planted immobile on terra firma.
    A Differential GPS to acess the correction signal to reduce that error needed an annual subscription which alone cost way more than this transducer -every year!
    Colour echo Sounders were beyond the reach of amateurs and took a lot experience to discern anything manmade from the VGA display.
    So this gear is just mind boggling in both capability and price as well as ease of installation and use and no doubt reliability.
    A shrewd investment in search capability and if you can't find the boat with this Fergal you can take comfort that Robert Ballard couldn't do any better!
    Can't wait to see the videos - best of luck.

So I was out this weekend with the intention of sending down the ROV on the image of the one with the trim tabs but as I was going over it I got a good side image of it and it looks nothing like mine :( possibly a Simms super V with a wrap around screen, On we go :)

83fd0ee5ea5026af6c635ec7ef3f8e15.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Amazing image Fergal what depth are we talking about there ?

She is at 57 feet.

2e04b90509602fc1e288ab0fdf86021f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

fergal.b wrote: »
    She is at 57 feet.

2e04b90509602fc1e288ab0fdf86021f.jpg

Lads have tried to sell worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I also spent more time and money building her than she was worth :) it's more about the story than the money, sure I could have built another one but I had already done that challenge now I have a different challenge finding her and rebuilding her I thought I would have done it by now but I'm not writing the story she is :)

Jaysus. He’s a poet too...

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Jesus that looks like a space ship Fergal.
    What sonar/equipment have you got on the boat to show that????

mufflets2 wrote: »
    Jesus that looks like a space ship Fergal.
    What sonar/equipment have you got on the boat to show that????

A few bits and pieces :D that was on the Lowrance HDS carbon with 3D structure scan.

0a7b2b0798798bd7ce120778980c4f16.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I have a feeling that your next project, after you find your boat, will be a trip to Loch Ness for a look around...

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    I have a feeling that your next project, after you find your boat, will be a trip to Loch Ness for a look around...

Been there done that :D

b71ac2050527e660d1ee9ac2af57d35d.jpg

If you'd put up that sonar pic without the commentary I would have 100% bet the farm that you'd found her...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

I have just finished reading this thread. What a roller coaster.

I have no experience with boats really, apart from varnishing a lough Sheelin boat for a friend. It was built by Jimmy Furey, one of the last he built. The craftmanship of working with wood is second to none. The time and effort that goes into it is amazing and has to be respected amongst all other hobbyists.

I'll be watching this thread with bated breath!

I have just finished reading this thread. What a roller coaster.

I have no experience with boats really, apart from varnishing a lough Sheelin boat for a friend. It was built by Jimmy Furey, one of the last he built. The craftmanship of working with wood is second to none. The time and effort that goes into it is amazing and has to be respected amongst all other hobbyists.

I'll be watching this thread with bated breath!

Funny you should mention Jimmy Furey I have just been asked by Cathy Mcaleavey "who was his apprentice" to restore an old seagull Jimmy gave her to go on one of the Wags or Shannon one's she is building, It was the Hands program that sparked my interest in boatbuilding back in the day and it will be an honour to restore and pull on the same little seagull that he had used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ahh jesus - I've just read this thread linked from Alpha Betas thread on the car hoard.
    This id so depressing. I hope you get your boat back from the depths. How much of the lough have you covered and would it be shifting so you're effectively searching for moving goalposts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Also here from the car thread, great read , that mirror finish is insanely good, also your methods to solve problems at a good price are top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

When someone new comes along, who has just read the thread for the 1st time its almost like there is a sense of pity as you watch them freshly grieve, and come to terms with the shock.
    You almost want to say, don't worry it will get easier, give it time, acceptance will arrive, the sense of shock will reduce.
    On the bright side the OP has since has the opertunity to buy some very cool tech and is now probably better equipped than the irish naval service for underwater exploration

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Funny you should mention Jimmy Furey I have just been asked by Cathy Mcaleavey "who was his apprentice" to restore an old seagull Jimmy gave her to go on one of the Wags or Shannon one's she is building, It was the Hands program that sparked my interest in boatbuilding back in the day and it will be an honour to restore and pull on the same little seagull that he had used.

That's brilliant. The detail on the Lake boat was fantastic, I was in awe by the end of it... although I vowed never to sand and varnish it again.. me feckin fingers! It's still going strong though!

What's the car Hoard thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement