Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA/BTEA/VTOS questions

Options
  • 06-07-2010 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have been accepted on a VTOS course this year and at present I am currently waiting to hear from Social inspector to visit me as I am applying for JSA, I was just wondering what do I do now I have been accepted on a VTOS course, I will now be applying for BTEA so does that render my JSA application void??

sorry for confusing thread :confused:

Just bit mixed up at the moment.....

jj
    Tagged:

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 85 Verified rep Citizens Information: Graham

Hi john-joe

The VTOS scheme is a bit different to the Back to Education scheme so you will probably be applying for that. While you're doing a VTOS course your Jobseeker's payment usually becomes a 'training allowance' paid to you at the full rate. You should definitely keep going with your application for Jobseeker's Allowance.

You can find out more about the VTOS procedures here: http://www.vtos.ie/main/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=About+VTOS and here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/vtos.aspx

Graham Long
    Citizens Information

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abi sant clare

hi, i'v been accepted into college which starts next week and i'v also sent them out my VTO application form. I still haven't found out if VTO is going to cover my tuition fees or not and it says make sure you make your payments before college starts. Should i go into the college before class starts to see what the story is with VTOs. So confusing!

Hi abi sant clare

can I just check - are you starting a third level course and you've applied for a student grant (higher education grant or maintenance grant, either from your local authority or a VEC) or are you planning to take part in a VTOS course?

Graham Long
    Citizens Information

hello, ya its a VTO third level course, the college sent me out a VTO form when i applied and told me to fill it out and send it back to them which i did. I got a letter of acceptance into the college and it said make sure your payments are paid before you start college. I'm starting Thursday but i don't know if my VTO application is approved. If i got accepted into the college does that automatically mean I also qualified for VTOs? Thanks

hi abi sant clare

it sounds like you may not have been accepted yet for VTOS but this shouldn't be a problem. You should contact the VTOS coordinator in the college as soon as you can and see what the procedure is in that college.

If you're not sure who the coordinator is, there is a list here: http://vtos.ie/joomla/index.php?option=com_peoplebook&Itemid=28

Graham Long
    Citizens Information

• Advertisement

Can you apply for BTEA while your waiting to hear from VTOs? I contacted the VTO coordinator of the College and she said i'll hear about my VTO application form over the next few weeks and should pay cash to secure my place on the course and will be refunded at a later date IF i get VTO approved.

Hi abi sant clare

Normally I would say you should apply for everything, but in this case it's a bit complicated and might depend on processing times and your underlying social welfare payment. I'm sorry to refer you on again, but I would suggest you discuss this with someone in your Social Welfare Local Office as soon as you can and hopefully get a steer from them as to whether it's a good idea or if it might confuse things.

Graham Long
    Citizens Information

ok Graham thanks

i didnt get VTOs because i had a FAS cert already in payroll and accounts, i was applying for Accounting Technician course. i cant believe it! i'v been looking up BTEA, i get my €196 plus E500 at the start of the accademic year for books. What about the tuition fees and travel? i went into social welfare an my local citizens advice and they said they didnt know and cudn't help me

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dontbossme

Normally I would say you should apply for everything,

Hi Graham can i ask about entitlements as i am lost on this i am doing a VTOS PC maintenance and repair course at Ringsend institute of technology also i study ECDL, customer service and commutation. I have been unemployed for 3 years!! I received details about this course from my local welfare office in Dublin 2 and jumped on the chance to do it but am confused if i can ask for help form any body such as a grant for a PC as i get a load ho notes and videos to bring home to study and i have to borrow my friends notebook, also books i should have and tools to practice with at home iv so far had to buy my own usb memory stick that is full already and i am only on my second month there so i will need to buy a bigger one plus folders pens etc please let me know what i should apply for if i can apply at all.....

Thanks Alan

• Advertisement

Hi Alan

I'm going to assume you were receiving Jobseeker's Allowance before you started the VTOS course - apologies if you were getting a different payment. You should be getting the equivalent of your maximum JA payment and probably an extra EUR31.80 per weeek as a training bonus (if you were receiving JA for one year or more before starting the course). You may also be able to claim a small meal and travel allowance. You should get the books (and materials) you need free at the start of the course.

I'm afraid I can't think of any grant to help you with meeting the costs of the PC or similar equipment. Maybe 'materials' could include something like a USB key - you could certainly discuss this with the VTOS coordinator in the college. If you're not sure who the coordinator is, there's a list here: http://vtos.ie/joomla/index.php?option=com_peoplebook&Itemid=28

Graham Long
    Citizens Information

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dontbossme

Ok Thanks Graham

Advertisement