Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Bruton For President?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

I heard that John Bruton is expected to be a candidate for president of Ireland according to MEP Sean Kelly. Sean said he would be interested himself but thought John would be the FG candidate. It would have made a fairytale ending, John as President in the Park and his brother Richard as Taoiseach in the Dail.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Wide Road wrote: »
    I heard that John Bruton is expected to be a candidate for president of Ireland according to MEP Sean Kelly. Sean said he would be interested himself but thought John would be the FG candidate. It would have made a fairytale ending, John as President in the Park and his brother Richard as Taoiseach in the Dail.

why not get david trimble or dr paisley instead , same thing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

danbohan wrote: »

How is it the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Care to explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mr j tayto

Hell no!!! He already gets far too much money from us taxpayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I say no president. How long would it take the rest of the world to notice?

• Advertisement

Wide Road wrote: »
    How is it the same thing?

well if your going have a unionest president , might as well get the real deal , bruton would wet himself if he was president when queen comes , he was like a poodle when prince charles was here

well if your going have a unionest president , might as well get the real deal , bruton would wet himself if he was president when queen comes , he was like a poodle when prince charles was here

John Bruton is a unionist how?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

he was like a poodle when prince charles was here

Its called good manners

To show a bit of respect to your near neighbour and biggest trading partner is a bad thing?

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    John Bruton is a unionist how?

have a little look at his history as taoiseach , he damm near scuppered the peace process on his own

Winty wrote: »
    Its called good manners

To show a bit of respect to your near neighbour and biggest trading partner is a bad thing?

respect yes , forelock touching , gringe by our prime minster to a british leader /royal with their history here is a bad thing

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

have a little look at his history as taoiseach , he damm near scuppered the peace process on his own
    No, he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Just don't ask him about it.

"I am sick of answering questions about the ****ing peace process."

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No, he didn't.

in your opinion , in mine and many others he did .

Just don't ask him about it.

"I am sick of answering questions about the ****ing peace process."

true
    ok lets make him president , this country is a total embarresment as it is anyway , lets make john bruton president and john gormley taoiseach and lets show the world what we really are

In your opinion, anyone who doesn't subscribe to your Republican worldview is "unionist, Protestant, British".

Excuse me for not taking your opinion too seriously.

Think you will find your opinions are just that, opinions and not facts.

In your opinion, anyone who doesn't subscribe to your Republican worldview is "unionist, Protestant, British".

you dont like any opinion that is not like yours , , and i dont take you very serious either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

true
    ok lets make him president , this country is a total embarresment as it is anyway , lets make john bruton president and john gormley taoiseach and lets show the world what we really are

OK so you dont like Burton or Gormley (100% agree on Gormley).

Who should we have ?

Who should we have ?

how about you and me winty , we rotate it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

I say no president. How long would it take the rest of the world to notice?

+1. We are only a small country, the size of a decent size city in England or mainland Europe, and we cannot afford to be spending millions on presidents, ex presidents, ex ministers, ex presidents, hangers on and admin for same. Give McAleese the dole / old age pension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Its called good manners

There's good manners and there's just cringeworthy fawning.Bruton fell into the latter bracket.I mean, "Johnny unionist" was his nickname-forgive me if I have some doubts about his statesman appeal.

In fairness, I think that while he did a very bad job on the peace process, it wasn't only his fault that the talks broke down.Other factors came into play, such as the fact that John Major was reliant on unionist support in Wesminister and that unionists generally tend to be fairly intransigent by nature(that is an observation by the way, not a criticism).

Who should we have ?

Bertie.

I mean, "Johnny unionist" was his nickname...
    I'm open to correction, but wasn't it only Albert Reynolds that called him that?

The fact that a political opponent calls you names doesn't define your political beliefs.
    Bertie.
    Oh, dear sweet jebus.

There's good manners and there's just cringeworthy fawning.Bruton fell into the latter bracket.I mean, "Johnny unionist" was his nickname-forgive me if I have some doubts about his statesman appeal.

In fairness, I think that while he did a very bad job on the peace process, it wasn't only his fault that the talks broke down.Other factors came into play, such as the fact that John Major was reliant on unionist support in Wesminister and that unionists generally tend to be fairly intransigent by nature(that is an observation by the way, not a criticism).

Bertie.

Bertie.

ogh god no , even winty and i shall agree on that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Unless you are joking, that is an ignorant and populist comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

I'm open to correction, but wasn't it only Albert Reynolds that called him that?

The fact that a political opponent calls you names doesn't define your political beliefs. Oh, dear sweet jebus.

I don't know really, whenever he comes up in personal conversation with me (this obviously fairly rarely), someone always mentions that nickname.Gerry Adams also mentioned it recently enough on that "Taoiseach" programme on tv3.

And I never said it defines his political beliefs-I just said that I have doubts about his statesman appeal when you look at his reputation with regards NI and so on.

Oh, dear sweet jebus.
    Bertie.

ogh god no , even winty and i shall agree on that !

I knew it would be a controversial choice tbh, but that's my opinion, and I'm not changing it, at least not until the Mahon tribunal's report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

Imagine if Richard got leadership of FG and John got the nomination for President. It would be very possible that we could have 2 brothers, 1 as Taoiseach, the other as President. Some achievement. Was this their plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I would like to see Gerry Adams as president actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

id never vote for bruton as president. id like to see john hume run for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

i highly doubt he would be viewing protestantism in a negative light considering protestants huge contribution to the republican movement. so that is not true what you are saying about dan

• Advertisement

aDeener wrote: »
    i highly doubt he would be viewing protestantism in a negative light considering protestants huge contribution to the republican movement. so that is not true what you are saying about dan
    I was quoting him, actually.

Advertisement