Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First hip-hop song that broke you in

Options
  • 28-06-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Thought I'd begin a thread as to what was the first hip-hop song you heard that introduced you to/and made you love hip-hop. This was mine...albums are accepted too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

First song that really made me love hip hop is this:

First hip hop album I loved was The Chronic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The album that got me interested was the Slim Shady LP, "Guilty Conscience", in particular.

Then the Marshall Mathers LP really had me interested in rap, my favourite song on the was "The Way I Am".#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Earliest rap song i can remember falling in love with was Coolio's Gangsta's Paradise,i know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It was like whoa what is this?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back. The intro with the californian airhead women seemed endlessly amusing when I was 9. After that House of Pain and Cypress Hill. And probably a bit of Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer and Snow - Informer if I'm to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gary_bre

Warren-G "Regulate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trotskee

Gotta be honest, quite different to how i roll these day, but i was only an impressionable young fella

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

That song still goes hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

When i was 11 i heard ''My Name Is'' on the radio and i was amazed with the unusual type of song, as in a hilarious comedic melody tune the type of music that i have never heard before that song, I was transfixed and that began my love of Eminem's music and hip hop:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Jakob

Probably was this for me -

NWA-Express Yourself

Then I was hooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

When i was 11 i heard ''My Name Is'' on the radio and i was amazed with the unusual type of song, as in a hilarious comedic melody tune the type of music that i have never heard before that song, I was transfixed and that began my love of Eminem's music and hip hop:)

I was 12 and saw Eminems My Name Is on the tv and my sister rang into Corks 96fm to request it. The next year, when I was 13 she bought the Marshall Mathers LP when we were going on holiday. I popped it in the CD player (no 40,000 mp3s back then!!!) and was very impressed.

That is how my love for Hip-Hop started. The next year in 2001 Devils Night by D-12 came out and I bought it straight away and listened all summer, and I couldn't wait for Eminems next album :) I listened passively to music over the years before then, but that was when my music in interest really grew.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 carlowed

ice t i am your pusher or "Girls L.G.B.N.A.F." both were wkd

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The earliest ones that grabbed my attention where Naughty By Nature O.P.P and Arrested Developents Mr. Wendal. But the first song/album that i got my hands on was Eazy E - Eazy Duz It. The first track on it called Nobody Move sucked me in, mostly because of the bad language, but also for the whole bank robbery story of the song.

After that it was NWA, Snoop, Dre, Paris, Cube and havent looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

First hip-hop song I really remembered loving was the remix of It's Like That by Run DMC. That was '97 or '98.

My brother had a copy of the original on a compilation of old skool hip-hop and I started playing that CD to death.

It had songs like The Breaks, Rapper's Delight, the original It's Like That, a remix of I Know You Got Soul, Bonita Applebum and Express Yourself, along with loads of other stuff that I'd never heard of before, or since. That's what got me into hip-hop and, then in the next few years, hip-hop started getting more exposure and I was drawn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,618 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Chronic!

I remember sleeping over in my brothers house when I was 10 or 11 and he gave me his walkman and said check this out. I was hooked ever since.

I also remember in school looking at the back of a cassette box where I had written down the song names for Tupac - All Eyes on Me. Teacher took the box off me and when they saw Rather Be Ya N*gga, they called me a racist and confiscated my walkman and tape! I had to laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

When we got MTV for the first time Jay Z had hard knock life out, and I remember getting real excited by de la soul and Red man (i think) doing oooh.

I think, if a lot of us are honest, The Fugees in about '95? where the main introduction to Hip-Hop that sustained any length of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avIqTrX2eac

Just checked this on youtube, forgot How feckin good it is, enjoy:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

are you sure it wasnt this.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 lawlor.08

Eminem's the slim shady lp, my aunty bought it at fist i use to just listen because of the curse words but as i grew up listening to the meaning of songs i loved it more

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oilburner2

Hi All
    Don't know if any of you young folks ever heard of this one, Doug E Fresh and the get fresh crew - The Show, original beatboxing and scratching.
    Hell yeah
    Toe

Advertisement