Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Listened to her prog.today sat what a load of old recycled rubbish. giving about ryanair & Aerlingus with their advertising of cheap fares until you go to book when your hit with taxes landing charges etc this woman could hire her a private jet with the money shes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

bob50 wrote: »
    Listened to her prog.today sat ... giving about ryanair & Aerlingus with their advertising of cheap fares until you go to book when your hit with taxes landing charges etc

She was commenting on what Noel Dempsey had said during the week.. When commenting on people who book their flights through the Internet, Dempsey said (paraphrasing) "people dont worry about the charges added on, they just click on to the end" .... I thought the same as you about Marion, tbh.. making out like she was very observant of the accumulative charges.. But more so Dempsey is an idiot to say what he said...

Neither of them would give a fuk about the accumulative charges on Ryanair's website because they would be first/business class on Aer Lingus, funded by the taxpayer..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Yesterdays show was only 1 hour live, she had in the first half hour a recorded interview with Paul McGrath and then the show was over at 12.30pm as Saturday View had to start a half hour early due to the Leinster rugby match being broadcast from 1.30pm! Nice job if you can get it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Wertz wrote: »
    Who's the real disgrace here though...the employee in question or the fools that negotiate her wage contract?
    If someone turned around to me and offered 10* my salary for doing effectively ther same job as anyone else, I'd be a fool not to take them up on it.
    It's the people operating behind the scenes in management and HR in RTÉ that are the true disgrace...no doubt on high enough levels of remuneration themselves...

Does anybody have names for the people in RTÉ who are responsible for this? It is immoral that she's getting more than Cowen, who, despite what anybody might think of him, has arguably the worst job in Ireland.

Could we even start a petition for legislation to be passed whereby no RTÉ presenter is paid more than €100,000 per annum (which is still excessive given their huge holidays and small airtime)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Does anybody have names for the people in RTÉ who are responsible for this? It is immoral that she's getting more than Cowen, who, despite what anybody might think of him, has arguably the worst job in Ireland.

Could we even start a petition for legislation to be passed whereby no RTÉ presenter is paid more than €100,000 per annum (which is still excessive given their huge holidays and small airtime)

= jealous band wagon communist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Rebelheart wrote: »

Cathal Goan, as Director-General of RTE since 2003, would ultimately have been responsible. But he was earning around a 100 grand more than Brian Cowen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Derryleigh wrote: »

Really?
    You have no wish to see a fair and balanced return for the funding RTÉ derive from legislatively enforced revenue collection from the general public?
    I suppose they should just carry on spending telephone number money on mediocre presenters who happen to be household names because they've been at the station so long, using the tired old excuse that if they didn't pay these vast sums, commercial radio would pinch said presenters?
    If RTÉ were a wholly private company they could quite happily pay their staff and stars whatever they liked without any of the complaining from listeners/license payers since it would not really be anyone else's business bar the management and shareholders/owners of said private company...but they're not.

Personally I pay my license fee (more the fool) and for that reason I expect a value for money service...I get more value from the like of Matt Cooper (whom I don't partly fund) than I do from Marion, Pat, Ryan or Joe (and the faceless management who preside over them)...I think every license payer is entitled to expect the same (value for money)...that's not a communist aspiration, it's a consumer demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Wertz wrote: »
    Really?
    You have no wish to see a fair and balanced return for the funding RTÉ derive from legislatively enforced revenue collection from the general public?
    I suppose they should just carry on spending telephone number money on mediocre presenters who happen to be household names because they've been at the station so long, using the tired old excuse that if they didn't pay these vast sums, commercial radio would pinch said presenters?
    If RTÉ were a wholly private company they could quite happily pay their staff and stars whatever they liked without any of the complaining from listeners/license payers since it would not really be anyone else's business bar the management and shareholders/owners of said private company...but they're not.

Personally I pay my license fee (more the fool) and for that reason I expect a value for money service...I get more value from the like of Matt Cooper (whom I don't partly fund) than I do from Marion, Pat, Ryan or Joe (and the faceless management who preside over them)...I think every license payer is entitled to expect the same (value for money)...that's not a communist aspiration, it's a consumer demand.

Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Well she does travel Ryanair because sometime back didn't she have a barney with them when she didn't have her passport & they wouldn't let her on the flight from London I think it was .... 'Do you know who I am'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

robo wrote: »
    Yesterdays show was only 1 hour live, she had in the first half hour a recorded interview with Paul McGrath and then the show was over at 12.30pm as Saturday View had to start a half hour early due to the Leinster rugby match being broadcast from 1.30pm! Nice job if you can get it!!

I tuned in the hear Paul McGrath, and she did mention briefly that the interview was prerecorded. That's handy alright.
    Derryleigh wrote: »
    Derryleigh, you've a great track record here for defending Marion, and FF. Could you elaborate in more than two sentences why she worth it in your opinion

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    I tuned in the hear Paul McGrath, and she did mention briefly that the interview was prerecorded. That's handy alright.

The interview was recorded of Friday.... Say she was worried Paul would head out on the beer Friday night and not be able to make it in... Paul is such a decent guy, such a pity things didnt work out better for him.. Must be hard going from hero to zero when you retire from professional football..
    Derryleigh, you've a great track record here for defending Marion, and FF. Could you elaborate in more than two sentences why she worth it in your opinion

I would be interested to hear any argument that could justify her earning 650k a year for four hours a week...

Michael Caine... interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang on Michael Caine is on Finucane but not on the Late Late Show. I take it this is taped?

mike65 wrote: »
    Hang on Michael Caine is on Finucane but not on the Late Late Show. I take it this is taped?

Sounds like it's recorded, AND Michael Caine is on the phone.. He's promoting a book

Caine became very uncomfortable when Marian asked him (about the Korean War):

"Did you ever kill anyone?"....

He muttered, got a small bit emotional and responded:

"Can we.. can we leave that one out?"

Good ding dong battle between Harney and Finucane now... Harney has the weight advantage, but I fear for Marian's stamina after all the years of puffing..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Good ding dong battle between Harney and Finucane now... Harney has the weight advantage, but I fear for Marian's stamina after all the years of puffing..

Just listening to Mrs Healthy talking to the other Mrs Heathy on the late night repeat now.

Now I know why Joe Duffy didn't contact her last week.

He wouldn't have got a word in sideways. :(

Just read elsewhere she was missing again today, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Unless it was pre-recorded, no it is not right, she was on this morning.

mike65 wrote: »
    Just read elsewhere she was missing again today, is that right?

No Mike, she was there today alright... Homebase may have the Christmas trees up already, but even Marian hasnt the brass neck to go on her Christmas holidays yet..

But, there was a pre recorded interview in the second half of the show..

• Advertisement

Radio Bored just called me a professional lifter on other forum! Hey I browse.

She's talking to a guy called Simon now who owns loads of property in smithfield and whose partner was called Paddy. A quick google and it appears to be Simon Kelly. He's doing a superb job at making himself look reasonable and likeable.

Roll on those Carr Communications courses!

Surprise, surprise - Simon Kelly's house is in his wife's name! Like father, like son. There isn't enough rope to hang them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Blownin smoke up Liam Neesan's arse now, Saturday radio is gone to pot.
    I really miss the biz show on newstalk

It got a bit awkward when he mentioned the Natasha Richardson award... I thought Marion would ask him about how he was coping or something..

(good joke by Rachael there on the news ... lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

€650,000

€650,000

Jaysus they discussed cutting all public service wages by 25%, TDs to be cut to €80,000, all head of semi-state bodies cut to €150,000 .. etc etc.. and nobody again mentioned the elephant in the room... i.e. the elephant whose back Marian carry's home her wages on..

Give the show to Mooney, he said he'd work for €100k or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

He'd be good at it too.

Asks all the right questions.

• Advertisement

He'd be good at it too.

Asks all the right questions.

as long as he leaves Neena ni nawnaa and the other fruit loops back on the nature reserve

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement