Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA Entitlement?

Options
  • 23-06-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

I'm wondering if I'll be likely to be successful if I claim for Job Seeker's Allowance...

I'm basically just finished 1st year in college and don't plan on continuing the course because I just can't afford it anymore, and completely regret choosing the course anyway, I know its a stupid thing to give up with the recession etc but I really am utterly sick of it.
    I live at home with my parents, my mother being unemployed and my father on Invalidity Pension, I'm unemployed obviously and haven't worked before but I'm looking and have several letters etc ready to prove it to the SW, so I'm fairly sure I would pass the means test at least...
    The only thing is that I read somewhere that students who have finished their 1st year and don't intend on continuing to 2nd year are not allowed to apply til September, (i.e the start of the next academic year)...I'm not completely sure this is true, so I was wondering if anyone knew for sure?

Also, wondering if anyone knew if it is the case, if I would be able to apply regardless, to avoid the ridiculous wait that I know there is in my local SW office and then not collect any money until September? If I asked if I could do this at the SW office, do ye reckon I'd have any luck?
    And in the meantime would I have a chance at claiming for Sipplementary welfare allowance?

Desperate for money at the mo, hence the desperate post:(
    Any advice/info would be hugely appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

you will need to get a letter from your college stating that you have left the course and that you wont be returning in september, without this letter you will have no hope of getting anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The timing of eligibility depends on whether or not you sat your exams

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx

(b) Students who sit exams, but state that they do not intend to return to college :

Third level students between academic years who sit summer examinations but state that they do not intend to return to college in the autumn should be regarded as following a course of study up to the commencement of the next following academic year. As such, they are subject to disqualification up to the commencement of the next academic year (in September/October, as appropriate).

(c) Students who leave college mid-year :

Third level students who state that they do not intend to continue with their studies and leave before the completion of the academic year (without sitting summer examinations) may be regarded as no longer "attending a course of study". As a result they are not subject to this disqualification. Colleges should be requested to confirm that the student has left and does not intend to sit end of year examinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Thanks for the replies:)

Haven't gone into SW yet, but called up my college, they're sending me a course withdrawal form but said they can't send a letter to say I've left the course but can only state the facts as of now cos I've finished the year now...:confused: But they said they would send out a copy of my (awful) exam results, to show SW and that I could get SW to phone them if they needed confirmation that I'd withdrawn the course...still not sure if it'll be any good applying before September but I might as well have all the documentation, etc ready...

Advertisement