Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormley to relax rules on one-off housing along certain National Secondaries

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    He hasn't quite. While appearing to concede narrowly on the one off issue Gormley will make planning permission much more difficult overall. One Off houses will normally require an "Appropriate Assessment" study be carried out from 1 July in most of rural Ireland. By conceding the possibility of an entrance onto an N or R road the "Appropriate Assessment" process will require a traffic study as well. Traffic studies would not be required on L roads, particularly L secondaries and tertiary that go nowhere.

Therefore you will have to spend €1500 on an 'eco consultant' to do the "Appropriate Assessment" ...and best ensure they are An Taisce members with membership card to avoid that lot causing problems down the line. You will notcie that many of these 'eco' chancers are paid up members of An Taisce :D . Then you will need to spend €1500 on a traffic engineer to produce that particular report as part of the planning application.

Now you are ready to employ a normal Civil Engineer to plan the house itself and wastewater treatment to satisfy the modern EPA guidelines. I should think that €5,000 will henceforth be spend before the application is even submitted.....not counting Further Information requests during the planning process which may incur further costs.

That is what Gormley is really up to :cool: Building an onerous cost stack for country people to level the playing field with villages full of ghost estates.
    in my neck of the woods one has to be prepared to spend 15k in an effort to get planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

two interesting planing decisions, near me, both within one mile of each other, case one in a line of new builds one house owner had to build a stone wall frontage, but all the rest of the houses had wooden frontages,
    case two a house built 10 years ago has a wooden fence enterance, planning for a new walled enterance, sorry but it has to be all wood, all his neighours have stone.

• flutered wrote: »
    two interesting planing decisions, near me, both within one mile of each other, case one in a line of new builds one house owner had to build a stone wall frontage, but all the rest of the houses had wooden frontages,
    case two a house built 10 years ago has a wooden fence enterance, planning for a new walled enterance, sorry but it has to be all wood, all his neighours have stone.
    Hmmm, left hand, say hello to right! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

A friend of mine wanted to build a wooden house, he was told it had to be concrete, no wooden houses allowed no way no how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Stonewolf wrote: »
    A friend of mine wanted to build a wooden house, he was told it had to be concrete, no wooden houses allowed no way no how.

Where was he building it?

• Advertisement

• Stonewolf wrote: »

Do you mean timber clad as opposed to timber framed!

Do you mean timber clad as opposed to timber framed!

Both, built to a set of modern Finnish plans that have a large number of established structures already (in Finland).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Bizarre. Timber frame housing is common in Ireland now and timber cladding could hardly be an issue? :confused:

• Wild Bill wrote: »
    Bizarre. Timber frame housing is common in Ireland now and timber cladding could hardly be an issue? :confused:

I get the impression it's not the timber frame that's the issue, but the look of the finished building, would it look out of place?

Timber cladding is rare here.

I get the impression it's not the timber frame that's the issue, but the look of the finished building, would it look out of place?

Timber cladding is rare here.

yeah, it has to be white and you can only have windows that are shaped thus ... and ... and ... and ... and you have to plant X number of trees despite the fact that it's built on the edge of a whole forest which you own ...

You get the impression that only whitewashed rectangular blocks are allowed, god forbid anyone should have any imagination in this country.

• Advertisement

Stonewolf wrote: »
    You get the impression that only whitewashed rectangular blocks are allowed

If only that was the case most of the excrescences polluting the countryside would never have seen the light of day!

Until the mid 1800s mud-huts were the common form of dwelling, before that is was wood and wattle (except for the British Gentry and their serf's dwellings) - and now they are saying it must be Spanish Hacienda or fake Georgian style? Doubt it.

You need to challenge the dolt opposed to timber housing. :cool:

I mean..."out of place"...would ye ever look around at what's been built in the countryside in the past 10 years!

In Wicklow, where these things have been controlled much better than most counties (not saying a lot admittedly) a wooded house in a forest setting greatly increases your chances of getting permission.

Advertisement