Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Chips

Options
  • 20-06-2010 1:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I've always been a big fan of chips and ever since ive become vegan im becoming more conscious of there nutritional value. B4 i wouldnt think twice about having 2 plates a chips a day but now there becoming unappealing to me but I find myself addicted to them!! The vegan diet I follow is quite healthy. Out of all the foods I eat chips and crisps are the hardest foods to get rid of. Do any vegans/vegetarians find they eat alot of chips?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hard at first to avoid them, for years for me! I was a potato monster. hehe. Only eat them when drinking anymore really. have pretty much replaced potato with couscous at this stage and soon quinoa. Nothing wrong with them now and again, not that much though, I think planning meals helps so you just don't head down teh canteen or shop for chips at lunch etc. I try to go for things like soup and fruit at college...sometimes wedges, but not so much anymore. If you are having potato boil em!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I do love chips but loved them before going veggie so it's not a case of eating chips to replace something else. Did go through a period of eating way to many as they were just cheap and easy filler on a plate but don't eat nearly as much anymore. I do try and mix it up and make chips with sweet potatoes rather then spuds or use baked kale if I want something crunchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

It's fine to have them every now and then. Just not every day or every couple of days.
    Wedges are better though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 karen86

I love chips, but I also eat them less than I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i'd say i eat chips once every two or three weeks. cut from spuds myself, with baked beans and maybe redwood basil and oregano sausages. mmmm yummy vegan meal :) i agree on the nutritional content, but it's great for filling you up. plus, as a vegan i find i don't consume much fat, and i like to believe that one should make sure to include some in one's diet, so that's my excuse for justifying the oil used (i coat them in oil and oven cook them).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I love my homemade chips! It's just a bit of spud, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I eat chips maybe once or twice a week. Sometimes more. I wouldn't worry about the nutritional value really. They're just potatoes. I'd stick to oven chips rather than deep fried ones and I think you'll be alright. A couple of years ago I saw a programme about healthy foods and apparently McCain oven chips are healthier than a lot of 'super foods'. The same programme claimed that beans on toast was a very healthy meal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Love spuds in any form really once it's not gratin. Highly recommend rosti.. can't seem to get it right myself though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I eat chips maybe once or twice a week. Sometimes more. I wouldn't worry about the nutritional value really. They're just potatoes. I'd stick to oven chips rather than deep fried ones and I think you'll be alright. A couple of years ago I saw a programme about healthy foods and apparently McCain oven chips are healthier than a lot of 'super foods'. The same programme claimed that beans on toast was a very healthy meal too.
    What constitutes a healthy food really depends on the rest of your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Beans on wholemeal toast is one of the best meals for a vegetarian as it contains all the essential amino acids that we need and often don't get!

• Advertisement
Advertisement