Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG - leadership battle losing voters

Options
  • 16-06-2010 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

As a long time FG supporter I now find I am looking for alternatives for the next elections (whenever they may be). Although not a particular fan of Kenny I could note vote for a party with Bruton as leader. He has demonstrated poor judgement in the timing of this challange and naivety with respect to his oponent and current leader. The fact that he thought he could just challenge Kenny and expect him to meekly step aside shows an extreme lack of judgement. On the other hand Kenny's lack of public charisma will be a distinct weakness in any general election. To me it seems that FG is shooting itself in the foot again. I for one am sick of it and will be looking for alternatives in the future. Unfortunatly, in Ireland, the options are not thick on the ground. I'm beginning to understand why labour are now No.1:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

goldrun wrote: »
    As a long time FG supporter I now find I am looking for alternatives for the next elections (whenever they may be). Although not a particular fan of Kenny I could note vote for a party with Bruton as leader. He has demonstrated poor judgement in the timing of this challange and naivety with respect to his oponent and current leader. The fact that he thought he could just challenge Kenny and expect him to meekly step aside shows an extreme lack of judgement. On the other hand Kenny's lack of public charisma will be a distinct weakness in any general election. To me it seems that FG is shooting itself in the foot again. I for one am sick of it and will be looking for alternatives in the future. Unfortunatly, in Ireland, the options are not thick on the ground. I'm beginning to understand why labour are now No.1:D

Kenny is the one who brought it out into the public sphere. It was Bruton who wasn't showing his cards to the media. He wanted to discuss it within the party and behind closed doors. Kenny jumped the gun and now it's all over the place. Kenny has no one to blame but himself for all the extra media attention. He made his bed and now he has to lay in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

goldrun wrote: »
    He has demonstrated poor judgement in the timing of this challange and naivety with respect to his oponent and current leader.

The timing of the challenge wasn't his. It was the papers who published the poll last week and it was Kenny who fired him and made this into a spectacle. Otherwise it could have been dealt with discreetly, to a certain degree.

Anyway, people like Bruton and they don't like Kenny. I can't see this hurting FG. In the long run (election in two years) it will attract more voters, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭8mv

Anyway, people like Bruton and they don't like Kenny. I can't see this hurting FG. In the long run (election in two years) it will attract more voters, in my opinion.

I disagree, Eliot. FG had my cast-iron first preference up untill two days ago. If EK is forced out of the leadership, that will no longer be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I can't see the reasoning behind the OP. You're already and FG voter, which I presume is a judgement call you made for a good reason. Why not see how the next few days fare out. I will be looking at how Bruton does as leader as I think the issue is all but sorted after todays announcements by O'Donnell and Flanagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

8mv wrote: »
    I disagree, Eliot. FG had my cast-iron first preference up untill two days ago. If EK is forced out of the leadership, that will no longer be the case.

Well either way, we'll know after tomorrow. If Fine Gael is down in the polls even further, if Kenny survives tomorrow, which I doubt, then Fine Gael is a lost cause with him as leader. The other scenario also applies. If they're up in the polls after Kenny is gone then it's pretty obvious that it was the right thing to do. While polls are flawed, they are a good indicator of the general mood out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

You're in the minority then. I forsee a major spike in FGs vote if they dump Enda, especially in urban areas. Ask any pollster and they'll tell you the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I had intended to vote FG in the next election particurarly being from Mayo, however I am seriously reconsidering, the complete lack of Judgement shown by Bruton & Co is appaling and I will not vote for FG with him in charge. I am not sure if I could still vote for them even with Enda in charge to be honest which leaves me with little or no options, Fianna Fail, never have and never will, they should all be in mountjoy, Labour, once I was young and idealistic and leftwingish now I listen to them whitter on with totally unrealistic ecomnomic policys and I fear, so they will be a no too, the greens, while I am generally in support of the macro green policies on climate change and energy efficiency I couldn't vote for the greens due to their complete fascist animal welfare / rights agenda and their total opposition to rural housing and development. Which leaves sinn fein, definately not ever!! so its a few independants who have yet to declare or not vote which for the first time in my 40 years is looking like the best option, disenfranchised or what!!! Any monster raving loney canditates thinking of running in the west, god even Luke Ming flanagan is getting sensible in his old age.....Help!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭8mv

KerranJast wrote: »
    You're in the minority then. I forsee a major spike in FGs vote if they dump Enda, especially in urban areas. Ask any pollster and they'll tell you the same thing.

I agree that I'm probably in the minority. Unfortunately it seems that the electorate in general use some sort of likability factor in judging political leaders - look where that got us. Richard Bruton is a fine politician and likable guy. He stood in my house many times and left a great impression. But after his (maybe successful) shafting of Kenny, I feel somewhat betrayed. It certainly leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There's an age old and colourful expression that says "Sh*t or get off the Pot"

- Kenny's lack of Pot performance was an epic era of constipation that needed to be brought to a close by somebody nudging him off the thing......

The fact that he could not be asked to, or forced to excuse himself in a discreet and dignified manner speaks volumes on the state of Fine Gael as of June 2010 and it is all negative in every respect and from every perspective.

Schoolyard rows are more organised, dignified, wonderfully productive and worthy of our support and encouragement than this fiasco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I don't know why people have a down on Bruton over this. As has been said it was Kenny's actions that created the problem.
    I don't dislike Kenny and I'm sure he's a decent guy but there have been numerous threads about Fine Gael's inability to capitalise on FF's poor showing and Kenny seems to be the common denominator.
    Nice guy, maybe; inspirational leader, definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I am having a hard time to decide whether I will now vote of FG regardless of who is the leader. Originally I would have declined to vote for them with Kenny in charge but would have had Bruton taken over. Alas whoever takes charge now will have done so leaving the party in a shambles.

I just wonder how Enda was allowed lead the party considering they lost the last general election. I can't ever remember a leader of any British party being allowed hold such a position after a failed general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Kenny is the one who brought it out into the public sphere. It was Bruton who wasn't showing his cards to the media. He wanted to discuss it within the party and behind closed doors. Kenny jumped the gun and now it's all over the place. Kenny has no one to blame but himself for all the extra media attention. He made his bed and now he has to lay in it.

Mary Harney once said that the Irish voters memory span is 6 months, after that they forget everything. Seems that for some people its 6 days.

This crisis started when Bruton did not back up Kenny when questioned on Prime Time last Thursday night. If he had any sense he would have backed him up publicly and worked behind the scenes to oust Kenny. The moment he did not back him up the media quite rightly smelt a rat and went after the story. Nobody to blame here but Bruton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

Why is it that Kenny, the man who surprised all in his own party by promising (rashly) to abolish the Seanad now has the backing of most of the Senators?

Turkey's voting for Christmas methinks.

Advertisement