Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History's in the Past ... the verdict (merged)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

kfpt wrote: »
    thats nearly 3 times what ur expected to write .....how many words on a line is that??..4??

no about 7 or 8 words per line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Mmmmkkay! And what grade are you expecting then well so? 27/28 pages must contain some amount of facts

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Delighted with history. I really thought I was going to start crying at the lunch break though before it. I messed up my french so badly :(

I wrote about 4 pages on each and I did eucharistic congress and culture, stalin's policies and communism in eastern europe and hungarian uprising :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kfpt

hokeypokey wrote: »
    no about 7 or 8 words per line.

im sorry mate but u cant write that much in an exam its impossible most people would manage 10 -12 pages wtiting that much ..and u did 27?? ....what questions did u do???

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

kfpt wrote: »
    im sorry mate but u cant write that much in an exam its impossible most people would manage 10 -12 pages wtiting that much ..and u did 27?? ....what questions did u do???

the partition one, germany 1920-1940 and LBJ,...

• Advertisement

Mmmmkkay! And what grade are you expecting then well so? 27/28 pages must contain some amount of facts

its a feckn book by the sound of it

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Happy with Document, DicDem and America......didn't revise Cultural identity, as i was going to do the NI question, but I didn't like it......
    Wrote 2 for the Document
    2 1/2 for cultural identity (big wrting)
    3 1/2 for Church State
    3 1/2 for Economic boom (both small writing)

Was pretty happy with what I wrote, but hopefully they'll go on quality not quantity............:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DayTripper

Fairly happy with how it went, everything I studied for came up!
    I did
    - Documents: about 3 pages, with 1 for Contextualisation
    - Eucharistic Congress about 2.5
    - Lyndon Johnson (or Vietnam basically :p), 3.5
    - Church-State Relations... Only got a page full of points about what I would have written down with more time :rolleyes: better than nothing though!

Just wondering, how many words would you's fit on a line?
    Someone was asking about it before, just curious! I'd get around 16 or 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Fionaxoxox wrote: »
    Delighted with the paper! All the things I hoped would come up came up! I did:

Irish: Cosgrave and DeValera: Anglo-Irish Relations
    D & D :Church-State Relations
    USA: American Economic Boom

So happy it is over with! :) I wonder what I will get....

Wrote about 6-7 pages on each.
    You must have absolutely massive writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

hokeypokey wrote: »
    I did 27/28 pages together and noe of mine wasnt waffle. i id the partition 1912-1920, germany 1920-1939 and vietnam. I wrote 7 for each and nearly 3 pages for the contextualisation. There was that much in germany and partition i had to leave important things out. There was a tiny bit of waffle in my LBJ question...
    Lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

DayTripper wrote: »
    Just wondering, how many words would you's fit on a line?
    Someone was asking about it before, just curious! I'd get around 16 or 17.

I'd fit about 14 or 15-your writing must be tiny! Mine's quite small, my teachers used to constantly complain about it. It's not joined and very slanted too, though...had to start writing in upright letters for the Leaving so the examiners could read it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aarglynn

Got 27 pages myself.. I find it funny that people who write a lot are being attacked on this thread. At the end of the day history rewards people who write a lot, you have to force your examiner into awarding you your 60 cumulative marks!

Document was lovely, flew through that, Criticism questions were even handy this year. 3 pages on the Contextualisation.

Sovereignity + Partition
    Did the Anglo-Irish relations, grand question. Dev was definitely more effective, even if Cosgrave made progress without confrontation.

Dictatorship + Democracy
    Church state relations, found it fairly tough as i did it last and was quite rushed. Was waiting near 10 minutes for the examiner to get me more paper, he had packed all the materials away in the box and couldnt find the stamp, it was a disaster i was losing it.

American section
    Did the Johnson essay, talked about all his early successes in promising his great society, the space race, and how he ained support through his early years in Vietnam. Than all his failures in Vietnam pretty much.

Did around 7 pages for each, around 8/9 words per line for those interested :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

For someone who got 50% in the mock, that paper was an absolute dream.

2 and a bit on Q4 Sunningdale
    4 on Berlin/Korea/Cuba in the American section
    3 on Church-State relations (I had to do my last 2 paragraphs in point form but at least I did that!)
    3 and a bit on Dev/Cosgrave and their Anglo-Irish relations (I did the most amazing conclusion here cos I was just so tired and strung out on writing - it was all like in the eyes of the British government Cumann na nGaedhl were better at A-I relations, but to the Irish people Fiann Fail were etc. Pure and utter BS)

Enid. wrote: »
    3 and a bit on Dev/Cosgrave and their Anglo-Irish relations (I did the most amazing conclusion here cos I was just so tired and strung out on writing - it was all like in the eyes of the British government Cumann na nGaedhl were better at A-I relations, but to the Irish people Fiann Fail were etc. Pure and utter BS)

Haha, I love the conclusions all right! One time I got so sick of all the writing I repeated the title as a conclusion-one line-and left it. Not today, though. Still, my conclusions were anything but awe inspiring all the same....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 EveBann

I wrote about 24 pages altogether,never written essays that length in my life about 5-6 per essay..i dont think it was very waffly but my writing's quite big..my hand is aching so bad right now though..and i have to study..

Fair play to everyone who managed to write that much but at the end of the day it IS quality over quantity and although to properly answer the question you do need to write a few pages, it isn't necessary to write 6-7 pages to do well so don't feel intimidated if you only got 3-5 pages because that's plenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DayTripper

I'd fit about 14 or 15-your writing must be tiny! Mine's quite small, my teachers used to constantly complain about it. It's not joined and very slanted too, though...had to start writing in upright letters for the Leaving so the examiners could read it!!!

Yeah it's small enough alright! Same, don't do joined writing and it's fairly straight except for halfway through the exam :p It got progressively worse towards the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

For the question about Sunningdale, when it said what were the difficulties of implementing Sunningdale, I took that to mean actually putting in place the agreement with the various problems and such. Didn't go into how it failed or mention the strike or anything, will I lose marks for that?

I'm in bits here now. French in the morning and History in the afternoon. I have a headache worse than Trotsky's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

Well you see you can easily get 60/60 in 4 pages. And that means it's not that hard to get the other 40/40. So even if you did do 7-9 pages per essay, good for you, but it doesn't mean you're going to get a higher mark than someone who wrote 4-5 pagers per essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

For the question about Sunningdale, when it said what were the difficulties of implementing Sunningdale, I took that to mean actually putting in place the agreement with the various problems and such. Didn't go into how it failed or mention the strike or anything, will I lose marks for that?

The way I went about answering that question was to just talk bout why it failed. Dunno 'bout anyone else.

DayTripper wrote: »
    Yeah it's small enough alright! Same, don't do joined writing and it's fairly straight except for halfway through the exam :p It got progressively worse towards the end!

Oh God, mine too!! It's probably completely incoherent at the end, but hopefully they'll see through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

theowen wrote: »
    Did everyone say DeV was better ye?

No. I said Cosgrave was better.. largely because he was...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 repeat92

i learned 6 essays going into the exams and all of them came up.. HAPPY DAYS MAAAAN... seeing as everyone found history easy it is definately going to be marked really hard..LIKE REALLY HARD.. so dont start smiling yet

I'm in bits here now. French in the morning and History in the afternoon. I have a headache worse than Trotsky's now.

Heehee, love the history-flavoured comment!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

repeat92 wrote: »
    i learned 6 essays going into the exams and all of them came up.. HAPPY DAYS MAAAAN... seeing as everyone found history easy it is definately going to be marked really hard..LIKE REALLY HARD.. so dont start smiling yet

Repeat92 your predictions were unbelieveable. The only thing I studied this morning for D&D was church-state relations, which you said was a dead cert.
    Thanks man.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

pbowenroe wrote: »
    The way I went about answering that question was to just talk bout why it failed. Dunno 'bout anyone else.

Ye I was thinking that, but ended up talking about the actual problems before it was actually implemented. I took it to mean what were the problems in acheiving a sunningdale agreement, but even then I should really talked about the strike, the British Labour's party inaction etc.

Oh well, can only hope for best.

RyanK wrote: »
    Well you see you can easily get 60/60 in 4 pages. And that means it's not that hard to get the other 40/40. So even if you did do 7-9 pages per essay, good for you, but it doesn't mean you're going to get a higher mark than someone who wrote 4-5 pagers per essay.

agreed....its 12 marks per paragraph so 6 paragraphs is enough ..and thats with normal sized writing

oh and we're not attacking you we're jus sceptical as to if ur talkn ****e or not

that and jealousy

the funny thing is i found all the essays easy enough but i found the document question besides part 4 really hard.. wtf like.. the answer is in the god damn questions..

• Advertisement

dont mention it dude.. and loads of people were sceptical of my predictions.. i got a feckin A1 last yr by predicting im pretty sure i can predict the paper again..

Advertisement