Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what use is Irish?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Saab Ed wrote: »

The Irish language and its modern day users ( not actuall west of Ireland native speakers... if there is such a thing left ) are all part of a group of sectarian ( reference the above quote ) , Republican dinosaurs who want to jam a language down the throats of everybody and deny 100s of years of history in the process while at the same time costing the exchequer a fortune on subsidised bullsh!t.

Complete bull, and tarring people who respect our culture and language for what it is with this brush is pathetic.
    "oh, you speak Irish, you must be a member of Sinn Féin" :rolleyes:

Here's a link educate yourself
    http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/category/4048

( A friend of my wifes recently refused to sign a contract of employment as a teacher because it wasnt in Irish, what type of horsesh!te is that. FFS if you cant speak English as a teacher then there's plenty of people looking for work at the moment )

So you come on here crying that there's no use for Irish in the modern world, a person that i presume you would know too wants to use and avail of the irish services he 's entitled to and you lambast them for it. :confused::confused:

Irish speakers are damned if they do and damned if they don't in your eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Complete bull, and tarring people who respect our culture and language for what it is with this brush is pathetic.
    "oh, you speak Irish, you must be a member of Sinn Féin" :rolleyes:

Here's a link educate yourself
    http://www.insideireland.ie/index.cfm/section/news/category/4048

Go raibh mile maith agut.
    Tá an naisc sin an-deas.
    Caint wait for the rest to come out.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I think people should actually go to the Gaeltachts and meet these fine natives that they always talk about and stop reading pearse.

The reality is not as it is portrayed about their irish - irish is irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

But Ulster Scots is a language,

Stop laughing:D

why the ulster scots bashing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

So you come on here crying that there's no use for Irish in the modern world, a person that i presume you would know too wants to use and avail of the irish services he 's entitled to and you lambast them for it. :confused::confused:

Oh I couldnt care less if they sign it in Swahili , just let them pay for the translation themselves and dont ding the tax payer for such rubbish. As usuall though it was a total waste of money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

OMG .... Educate myself and this is what you come up with :confused::eek::D You're a funny funny individual !!!!!

You're basically saying - Here read this horsesh!te pedaling propaganda with no bias what so ever . You might aswell be asking the editor of Vatican news weekly what his opinion of child abuse is :p

I'll have my opinions and you have yours but if you're gonna argue a point then come up with something with a little bit of credibility in the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

I'll have my opinions and you have yours but if you're gonna argue a point then come up with something with a little bit of credibility in the content.
    Fair enough, but does one really need some sort of credible external source to refute:
    Saab Ed wrote:
    The Irish language and its modern day users ( not actuall west of Ireland native speakers... if there is such a thing left ) are all part of a group of sectarian ( reference the above quote ) , Republican dinosaurs who want to jam a language down the throats of everybody
    Is it really so difficult to imagine there are people who just enjoy the language that you need external studies before you will believe it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

FruitLover wrote: »
    Please, for the love of Jaysus, use the words 'idirghréasán' or 'idirghréas'; not 'idirlíon'. The English phrase 'internet' is composed of the words 'interconnected' and 'network'. 'Líon' means 'net' as in a net that's used for catching fish. Not a computer network.

Tóg go bog é. Idirlíon is widely accepted as a standard word for internet. I'm well aware that linguistically speaking, idirghréasán is a more apt translation. I use both to be honest. And if a techy like myself isn't bothered by it, I don't see why you should be either. Don't jump down people's throats. Nobody likes elitism.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    why the ulster scots bashing?

That wasent Ulster Scots bashing, That was just a little joke, if I wanted to bash Ulster Ucots I would use some of the pointless arguments floating around here.

Diddo

OMG .... Educate myself and this is what you come up with :confused::eek::D You're a funny funny individual !!!!!

You're basically saying - Here read this horsesh!te pedaling propaganda with no bias what so ever . You might aswell be asking the editor of Vatican news weekly what his opinion of child abuse is :p

That article never claimed to be un biased. That dosent take from the fact that it puts forward several arguments, countering arguments put forward by you and others in the anti-Irish brigade, So laughing and calling it propaganda dosent do squat to show why you are right.:rolleyes:

Advertisement