Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite kebabs

Options
  • 13-06-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by the post pub food on another thread

Zams Zams in Sligo

Doner Kebab, meat, shreeded lettice, red onion, chilli and garlic sauce wrapped in a flat pitta bread

nom nom nom

Outside of ireland discovered a few, lovely chicken kebab beside clapham common tube in south london, chicken done on the grill rather than the cheep cuts taken from the spinning stick, lettice, onion, red cabbage, and the usual chilli and garlic sauce. Various others, to numerious to mention.

But one of the favs was in side street in lyon, france. a hollowed out peice of flat bread, inside firstly smeered with sauces, then filled with the salad and kebab meat.

Drooling thinking about it.

None of this abra stuff for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Aw **** irish stew,I still haven't been to zam zams. I hear the kebabs are the size of a small child

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

greetings wrote: »
    Aw **** irish stew,I still haven't been to zam zams. I hear the kebabs are the size of a small child

and thats just the medium one (smallest available from memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Zam Zams are very nice. There is one here in Dundalk. Massive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

In Dublin it's Zaytoon in Templebar or Camden st (?) by a bajillion miles. Fresh open nan, meat on 1 side with chilli sauce, lettuce and tomato (I opt out of the cabbage) on the other with the nicest garlic sauce known to man... well NothingMan at least.

Also the standard chipper kebab I had at 3am from Marsellas in Tallaght was amazing and they delivered that late. But they all are amazing when I'm that drunk.

WIll have to try Zam Zams on my next trip to Bundoran. Fuckin love kebabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

NothingMan wrote: »
    In Dublin it's Zaytoon in Templebar or Camden st (?) by a bajillion miles. Fresh open nan, meat on 1 side with chilli sauce, lettuce and tomato (I opt out of the cabbage) on the other with the nicest garlic sauce known to man... well NothingMan at least..

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Unfortuantly very few Irish kebab shops can create a decent kebab, the best you will get is from Zaytoon. But these are just average kebabs compared to any from the UK. And then theres the price ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The last time I was in the Big Schmoke, I ended up in Iskanders, and got me a doner.

'Twas one of the best I've had.

Donner, no salad, just chilli sauce, and mashed it into my gob. Soaked up some of the high priced, city slicker booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Out here in this part of the world they put chips into the kebabs. Wasn't too sure about it at first, but it's growing on me.

Now if only I could get a pint to go with it, I would be sorted.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Out here in this part of the world they put chips into the kebabs. Wasn't too sure about it at first, but it's growing on me.

That would be HEAVEN!!! :eek: chips in a kebab and a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Isklanders would deffinatley get my vote as well. and there cheesy chips ? Unbelivable!

And Chip Kebabs are lovly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

place i was in in lyon offered that as well, just had mine on the side, didn't want to be missing out on all that kebab meat goodness

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hyster

i quite like momo across from DIt aungier street. does a good kebab. but the taste buds are usually numbed by guinness at that stage.

i have woken up with a kebab not eaten in bed beside me on more than one occasion.
    i have a logic that says kebabs will be nice for breakfast. well more like a flase logic

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

I agree with Tom Dunne, the kebabs we get are really nice (no chips in them though). The good thing is you don't need a belly full of beer before you eat them as they're not greasy. Having said that a pint before, during or after would be nice. We can get enough non-alcoholic Becks to float a ship, but it's just not the same as full fat lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

there's a great place in berlin. it's right next door to baxpax hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

you could say that there is a little baxpax hostel in everyone of us

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Where is here
    Kebabish is nice just short of Leonard's Corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

moggser wrote: »
    you could say that there is a little baxpax hostel in everyone of us
    eh?

Chip Kebab in Chilli Kebabish in Limerick city.......droooool! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

Random wrote: »
    eh?

lol
    i ment like seen the kebab shop is so close to the hostel that all the strays are been chopped up for kebab's like that episode of the simpsons

"little bit of ooder in all of us" (german fat kid)

Got one in Roberto's in Sligo the other night there.
    Chicken fillet kebab with cheese onions and sauces,was delicious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Doner are my personal favourite. Chicken are ok aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

shaaane wrote: »
    Chip Kebab in Chilli Kebabish in Limerick city.......droooool! :D

the job. though Noor is taking preferance these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Istanbul Kebab House in Waterford. Lamb kebab (skewered) with lettuce, onion, chilli & garlic sauces .... garlic chips with cheese too

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's heresy, I'm most likely going to be run out of town for admitting it and I know it's wrong but I love Abrakebra donners. There's just something about the big processed elephant leg shavings that keep me coming back.

Aside from them, the chicken skewer kebabs in Zaytoon are great as are anything from Iskanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

A couple of Turks in Kings Cross in Sydney did fierce mighty kebabs.

They used to pop the wrapped up kekab in a sandwich toaster to finish off.

After a night of abusing oneself in Bondi and KC, it was heaven.

It was even good enough to eat for brekkie the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Zam Zam in Dundalk do a magic kebab.

Nicest kebab I've had was in a little place in Amsterdam, just off Dam square.

Not in the Red Light District mind you, thats a different kind of kebab altogether!! :D

Lads do people like lettuce on their kebabs?
    Personally I don't,I consider it to be rabbit food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

greetings wrote: »
    Lads do people like lettuce on their kebabs?

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, if it is in the kebab or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The best kebab in Dublin is from Kebabish on Clanbrassil Strret (about 200 metres from Leonard's Corner). I've eaten the offerings from both branches of Zaytoon, Iskander's and Momo's on Aungier Street but Kebabish beats them all.

The queue for food after Friday prayers is a good indicator that you are getting the authentic stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Gyalist wrote: »
    The queue for food after Friday prayers is a good indicator that you are getting the authentic stuff.

Are you sure it's not because everyones pissed?

Advertisement