Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feeding wild birds

Options
  • 28-05-2010 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Is it a bad idea during the summer?

How do you feed birds left over greas from frys? Would that be bad for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from API - might be more people acquainted with the exacts of feeding wild birds here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Of course feeding garden birds is a good thing!

Feeding through the Summer is recommended. There is not the need for the same amount as in Winter but adult birds need the protein boost when rearing young.

Fats are good. Fats from a fry are not. They contain salt and being heating to the extent they are the are damage fats. Anyway only feed fats in cold Winter conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I have a theory about the recent decline of moths.
    Feeding birds in winter.
    More birds survive, more moths eaten

Result = less moths.

Of course feedig birds now = less moths eaten.

This is not a serious theory and after the numbers of moths this Spring, it is hard to argue that moths are in decline anyway, but perhaps thought provoking in that helping one part of the food chain could cause an imbalance?

Interesting! I'd have to think about that.:)

Is feeding garden birds interfering with Nature?? Are we only making up in some small way for mans destruction of natural food sources??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

No we are not interfering. In the winter time when the ground is frozen with frost, birds cant get worms, so many perish. We are helping the species survive

• Advertisement

No we are not interfering. In the winter time when the ground is frozen with frost, birds cant get worms, so many perish. We are helping the species survive

:) My questions were rhetorical. I have fed and recorded garden feeding birds for decades. You are correct but preaching to the converted.:)

The point being made was are we interferring in some way with what would be a natural balnce of life and death in Nature, by man artifically supplying food to birds? I don't personally believe so but it is a fair discussion to have.

Oh and it's not just frozen ground that is the problem. Remember that most garden birds eat insects or seeds as wee. These are both naturally scarce in Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

Probably are interfering on the macro level. I suppose that if the smaller or less numerous/resilliant of the species were left to fend for themselves, there would be in time a monopoly of carrian species left such as crows, starlings, magpies etc. i think the small garden birds would struggle to survive in the event of severe winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Are we only making up in some small way for mans destruction of natural food sources??

This is far greater influence than any feeding. Loss of habitat and changes in agriculture. These have a far greater influence on numbers of moths and hence the amount of birds they support than any amount of peanuts.

Many of the birds we feed during winter are visitors from the continent so the helping hand may be on a European scale rather than just a locally.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Fats are good.

i was wondering, i was told to feed them suet from the butchers, which i was during the winter - is this good or bad?

also, my guys are eating me out of house and home. is there any cheaper alternative to energy balls and seeds? the suet was free from the butcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

last winter we got suet, melted it in a pot, poured it into cup cake holders and added mixed fruit (used fo baking), mixed seed and placed in fridge to harden. Once they were set we bored a hole in the centre and using twine, hung them out for the birds. Went down a treat.

Secman

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »
    i was wondering, i was told to feed them suet from the butchers, which i was during the winter - is this good or bad?

also, my guys are eating me out of house and home. is there any cheaper alternative to energy balls and seeds? the suet was free from the butcher

The unprocessed fat in suet is ideal but not needed at this time of year. Really you should be putting out just enough food for a protein boost in the mornings right now. No need for Fat balls or bucket loads of seed. A good cupped handful of seed or two is enough to give a helping hand. Leave a nut feeder or two and that's it until the Autumn.

Advertisement