Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing the Border

Options
  • 28-05-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭

I read recently that Obama has sent 1200 National Guard troops to increase security along the Rio Bravo and also allocated an extra 500 million to help law enforcement along the border.

I have my own personal views on immigration reform but I have come to a realization that in order to have reform the borders must be secured as not just to appease one side but so the situation doesn't just go through the same cycles again and again.

Now this may seem like a silly or stupid question but doesn't the US have the highest number of troops based outside of its country, there are over 50,000 based in Germany, 30 + in Japan I think and so on. I know some of these troops are for the the engagements in Afghanistan and Iraq but it does seem like a high number.

My question is, Why can't the US deploy troops to secure the border ? It seems like a simple short term solution for me.

I would rather the US had better foreign policies and such so there wouldn't be so many immigrating here but the reality is that there needs to be a better form of control if progress is to be made.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My question is, Why can't the US deploy troops to secure the border ?

Couple of reasons.

Firstly, and most importantly, there is the argument that it would result in the use of troops to perform a domestic law enforcement function. A serious no-no in the US legal system. You can argue that defending the border is a legitimate function of the US military, but as long as violations are prosecuted under the civil legal system (as opposed to just shooting border-crossers), I don't think it holds water. National Guard troops do not suffer this legal glitch, but their use increases the defence budget a bit more, and can also cause disruption in the civilian workforce, depending on the method used to select the Guardsmen.

Secondly, there is a fear of the perception of militarising the border. I'm not such a fan of this argument, it's not as if we're preparing to invade Mexico.

And thirdly, the federal troops not currently involved in operations are likely on their dwell time until they go again, or are considered required in their current location. Eg Japanese-based troops are quite handily placed for a fight in Korea, which is of course back in the news again. If on dwell time, they need to be resetting or training for combat, not sitting on a border not doing Army tasks.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What is the current federal/state body that handles border patrol? There doesnt seem to be a Coast Guard equivalent, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Overheal wrote: »
    What is the current federal/state body that handles border patrol? There doesnt seem to be a Coast Guard equivalent, for instance.

The Border Patrol. It's the federal police agency responsible for that.

What is the current federal/state body that handles border patrol?
    Mjollnir wrote: »
    The Border Patrol.

I'm sorry. I just had to laugh.

www.cbp.gov

You know, that said, it does seem like a fun job. What other government pays you to wear a cowboy hat, gun, and ride a horse in the West?

_45599785_mexicoborderhorses.jpg

539w.jpg

success_stories.Par.75323.Image.250.274.1.gif

NTM

Well I just imagine the border patrol as - well that: totally ill-equipped. And technically speaking, not a Uniformed Service of the US. More of what patrols the borders almost sounds like Volunteer platoons these days from what I hear in the media. Hence the dumb question.

Why not turn them into a Uniformed service and modernise them and expand on their structure? Why are volunteers not being enlisted into the Border Patrol for instance?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Well I just imagine the border patrol as - well that: totally ill-equipped.

The horses are just used for the more inaccessible places. Vehicles vary from Crown Vics to jeeps and DX2s.
    BorderPatrol-DeJong-2-737161.jpg

CBP is no small organisation. They have a very well equipped air force. The only law enforcement agency with AEW aircraft, for example.
    800px-CBP_P-3_Orion.jpg
    Black Hawks.
    3789004641_3f6f52763a.jpg
    Predators.
    cbp_predator_b.jpg

And a whole load of smaller stuff. But they still need to have more people on the ground, the US's borders are not small.
    Why not turn them into a Uniformed service and modernise them and expand on their structure? Why are volunteers not being enlisted into the Border Patrol for instance?

They are a law enforcement agency, with sworn officers. And volunteers are unreliable, you can't make a schedule with people who may or may not show up. There is no need for them to be a uniformed service, they're police.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Why stop illegal aliens when the beauty they add to the Arizona desert scenes are oh so photogenic.

AZtrash4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Amerika wrote: »
    Why stop illegal aliens when the beauty they add to the Arizona desert scenes are oh so photogenic.

AZtrash4.jpg

Yes, because this is what it breaks down to :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Adopt the China solution? ;)

great_wall_of_china.jpg

Or the old Soviet solution?

berlin-wall4.jpg

Both turned into tourist traps, might be good for the economy.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

The whole building a fence has just seemed to be a total bunch of incompetence across the board. The virtual fence has had severe problems and has been put on hold I think.
    Then there is the actual fence that is or was being built, it seems to be costing billions of dollars but does not have the desired effects, people will always find a way around it (or under it). Maintaining a fully finished fence would probably cost tax payers billions to maintain every year also.
    Then there is the manpower needed to secure such a big border, fence or no fence.

Is the border indefensible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

I'm sorry. I just had to laugh.

www.cbp.gov

You know, that said, it does seem like a fun job. What other government pays you to wear a cowboy hat, gun, and ride a horse in the West?

_45599785_mexicoborderhorses.jpg

539w.jpg

success_stories.Par.75323.Image.250.274.1.gif

NTM

Plenty of Sheriff's Departments all across the western states still do exactly that, including where I'm from, Monterey County, CA.

Although, of course, they still mostly get the job done in Crown Vics and Broncos.

Interesting bit of information from Senator Jon Kyl. Looks like Obama has no want or desire to secure the border with Mexico. I bet if you took a poll today, I bet most Americans would tend to believe Senator Jon Kyl over this White House administration on the matter of securing the border. I know I do.
    http://www.thefoxnation.com/sen-jon-kyl/2010/06/21/senator-obama-told-me-hes-not-securing-border-purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Interesting bit of information from Senator Jon Kyl. Looks like Obama has no want or desire to secure the border with Mexico. I bet if you took a poll today, I bet most Americans would tend to believe Senator Jon Kyl over this White House administration on the matter of securing the border. I know I do.
    http://www.thefoxnation.com/sen-jon-kyl/2010/06/21/senator-obama-told-me-hes-not-securing-border-purpose

The day I believe Jon Kyl on anything will be a cold day in hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You really do believe everything you read on the internet do you.

How about the reach out from the Obama administration to Undocumented Democrats. I told you the push would be happening soon... And So It Begins. Enjoy the commercial! Next up will be the lawsuit against Arizona. Wonder how long until Spanish is made our official language?
    http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/video.aspx?v=Xd2GkUpr6U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

How about the reach out from the Obama administration to Undocumented Democrats. I told you the push would be happening soon... And So It Begins. Enjoy the commercial! Next up will be the lawsuit against Arizona. Wonder how long until Spanish is made our official language?

Is that a joke?

kev9100 wrote: »
    Is that a joke?

No, the commercial is real!

As for the language thing, yes it is sorta a joke (but one of those things where when it actually happens you say... God, I was only joking. Sort of like when Jimmy Carter was elected President). The United States does not have an official language… Yet! But some towns have made Spanish their official language. Who knows, it just might be a matter of time though. And if you live here, you already have to "Press 1 for English" when making a telephone call to government, businesses and the Democratic Party much of the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5aUvTUuBOo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, the commercial is real!

As for the language thing, yes it is sorta a joke (but one of those things where when it actually happens you say... God, I was only joking. Sort of like when Jimmy Carter was elected President). The United States does not have an official language… Yet! But some towns have made Spanish their official language. Who knows, it just might be a matter of time though. And if you live here, you already have to "Press 1 for English" when making a telephone call to government, businesses and the Democratic Party much of the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5aUvTUuBOo

So? Free market etc., if more people are speaking Spanish then it will be catered for and rightly so.

undocumented work != illegal immigrant. Not every landscaper or their handimen are illegal, and how does a landscapers helper prove that they were on said job on such a date during these hours? What if his dickhole employer decides not to pay him? Undocument means you arent punching a card and its difficult or impossible to prove on paper (document...) that you worked, yet you are owed a wage still for that work.

as for the CNN video the bald guy is a bit of a blowhard. And kind of ignorant; if we were going on history and culture we'd be speaking a lot more german. It kind of distracted me from adopting his general premise about language barriers.

• Advertisement

Anybody else hearing about the threat of illegal alien amnesty merely by an Executive Order of President Obama? If the rumors are true, and he does go through with it, there truly needs to be impeachment proceedings.
    http://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/june-21-2010/senators-challenge-pres-obama-rumors-executive-order-amnesty.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Loving how easily Amerika is manipulated by wacky websites.

rovert wrote: »
    Loving how easily Amerika is manipulated by wacky websites.

Dazzling... So the letter that was sent to President Obama asking for clarification on the use of deferred action or parole for illegal aliens, signed by Sens. Grassley, Hatch (R-Utah), Vitter (R-La.), Bunning (R-Ky.), Chambliss (R-Ga.), Isakson (R-Ga.), Inhofe (R-Okla.), and Cochran (R-Miss.) is also just something from a “wacky” website? Ad-Hominem attacks are very unbecoming... or is that the only arguments Progressives are left with?

kev9100 wrote: »
    The day I believe Jon Kyl on anything will be a cold day in hell.

I listened to Senator Kyl speak with Mark Levin on his show yesterday about the meeting with President Obama. Kyl seemed pretty darn convincing. Why not give it a listen.
    http://marklevinshow.com/Article.asp?id=1850749&spid=32364

Dazzling... So the letter that was sent to President Obama asking for clarification on the use of deferred action or parole for illegal aliens, signed by Sens. Grassley, Hatch (R-Utah), Vitter (R-La.), Bunning (R-Ky.), Chambliss (R-Ga.), Isakson (R-Ga.), Inhofe (R-Okla.), and Cochran (R-Miss.) is also just something from a “wacky” website? Ad-Hominem attacks are very unbecoming... or is that the only arguments Progressives are left with?

Yes wacky websites that are not moderate.

Isnt all this rheoric about the border very 2005 anyway?

Isnt all this rheoric about the border very 2005 anyway?

History problems? Where have you been, it's all the rage in 2010? Next you'll be telling me the Irish didn't discover America in the 6th century.

History problems? Where have you been, it's all the rage in 2010? Next you'll be telling me the Irish didn't discover America in the 6th century.

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?
    Well Arizona’s recent illegal alien law if you are questioning that.

If you are questioning the other, well Mystery Hill and other such sites across a 100 mile radius in New England exists that recent technological investigation indicates Irish monks (the Culdees) were most probably here in the 6th Century. The rocks on which the Celtic carvings (and old form of lines which make up Celtic words) are of the type of which cannot be carbon dated, but charcoal from hearths of Irish type rock dwellings built there indicate the time frame is during the time of Saint Brendan (you’ve heard of him and his story I gather). I recently watched a fascinating document here on the History Channel about it called “Who Really Discovered America.” They offer several alternatives earlier to the Vikings and Christopher Columbus, but the Irish segment has the most hard evidence and is the most convincing. Truly amazing piece that I will have to record when it is replayed. I will provide links from some research I did if you wish a little later, I just don’t have any of the data on this computer.

Ill ask again what are you talking about?

• Advertisement

Ill ask again what are you talking about?

I guess I don't understand your question then, please be less cryptic. The talk about illegal aliens is far more prevalent in 2009 and especially in 2010 than it was in 2005.

Advertisement