Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me feed the vegan visitor!

Options
  • 25-05-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

First off, sorry I haven't bee around much. Work got on top of me but that'll be over soon so I can hang out with you lovely people again ^_^

Now, we have a guest who is coming over to take part in an event in August as a celeb guest. He happens to be a vegan, and he's always saying that when he goes on trips like this he can't stick to his diet. I want to help him, so as well as putting together a hamper for him we want to take him to a vegan-friendly restaurant.

So what should go in the hamper? And where can we take him? Help us vegetarians, you're our only hope!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Is he staying somewhere he can cook, or would the hamper need to be easily consumed without preparation (e.g. vegan choc bars), or otherwise?

Help us vegetarians, you're our only hope!
    Star Wars anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

Yes, the Star Wars thing was deliberate. It was late at night, funny things happen in my brain....

Since the visitor will be staying in a hotel for a few days, his options are quite limited. We need to find vegan-friendly restaurants and keep him upright during the day. Also it's a sign of our attentiveness if we do this and he can boast about what a great time he had in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

What should go in the hamper?
    Some of the little cartons of Alpro (the small blue ones you can usually get in Dunnes). This will mean he can make a cup of tea in his room without the soya milk going off.
    Some Butlers vegan choc
    A tub of toffuti - so he can make his own sandwiches to take out and about with him
    Nuts and seeds? Tesco do a nice cranberry and macadamia mix
    Fruit? Apple and bananas? They type of thing he can pop in his bag to take along for the day
    A packet of hob nobs mmmm no explanation needed!
    Some of those Alpro dessert things that dont need to go in the fridge?
    Vegan jelly crystals - he can use them when he gets home.
    Some of the vegan pates in the tube? You can get them from the HFS

Sorry, am assuming visitor is a he!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

awh, giving him a hamper is a lovely idea...
    ooh is it anyone really famous?!
    :D

I agree with everything in the post above, those would be ideal things to enable him to get by in the hotel - both practical things and treats! Definitely put some peanut butter in. Everyone loves that :D Tescos do nice cans of mixed bean salads as well that will store well and can be opened easily for a snack wherever you are. Nakd raw food bars too maybe, also available in Tesco? But definitely some nice nuts and seeds and chocolate, Alpro soya milk and desserts :pac::pac::pac: Other vegan biscuits are chocolate bourbons and ginger nuts! If you want a few fresh things how about hummous? Onion bhajis? Falafels? Avocadoes?

Vegan friendly restaurants/cafés are Cornucopia, Govindas, Juice, Blazing Salads and Hell Pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Missiechan

This is all very, very helpful. Thank you so much! I'm going on a scout around tomorrow so I'll give the stuff a try myself before I fill the hamper.

And no, he's not too famous, just well-known in the anime crowd. He's our John Malkovich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

:)

You have plenty of time for tasting before August :D:D:D:pac::pac::pac: Get your munch-on!!! You'll probably discover a load of products you love, I adore experimenting with food and discovering new things. Since becoming vegan I've tried so many new and interesting things, it's great! If you need any more advice just ask us, we'll help you out! God I would personally LOVE the task of making up a vegan hamper for someone..... then I'd probably throw a little tantrum having to give it away ;)

Advertisement