Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to go Vegan!!

Options
  • 19-05-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

I've decided to go vegan today, well i'm going to give it a go for a month and hopefully will be a vegan for the rest of my life. I was thinking about this for a few weeks as i found some articles and websites online and didn't like what I read about what they do to animals:mad:!! I read online about this funny book called skinny b*tch so I bought it today and read it in a few hours, its very small book just in case ya wondering why so fast. But its message is not really about losing weight its about becoming vegan, that is why i bought it. But the meal plans at the back of the book where mainly american. But my problem is I suffer a bit for IBS (irritable bowl sydrome) and yeast, potatoes, heavy sauces and some pasta's dont agree with me. I would have bloating, need to go to the toilet and just feel uncomfortable. So i stay away from these foods as much as I can but I just love bread (anything thats a carb really).

I know giving up meat wont really be a big deal, stopped eating lamb, pork and that a long time ago. I only like chicken when its breaded and its not cause of the chicken its what its coated in i like lol! Not a fan of cheese either only eat it when its on a pizza, and started a few months ago with soya milk, dont really use milk anyways prefer dry ceral and have green tea now.. Oh ya and eggs dont agree really with me either but I do love pancake:p

But now becoming a vegan I'm afraid i'm going to go carb crazy and i'll put on loads of weight (by eating loads of bread and potatoes).. Just finished exams and I have been constanly tired, takin berroca for energy. I was very bad during exams constantly eating chocolate so afraid by going vegan could go on serious sugar lows.. will i feel a few side affects the first few days of going vegan? Is quorn vegan free? and is there any other foods I should be aware of? I not the best cook and when i'm hungry i like to eat then and not have to wait twenty mins.. Is there fast meals that can be cooked and ingredients that can be bought easily. I live in Co.Clare, i really want to give this my all and do this properly, I'm 21 and live at home so wont really have that much support from my meat loving family:rolleyes:

today i had-

breakfast = big bowl of dry alpen (no soya milk just like it dry) and bannana + green tea.

lunch = 2 rice cakes and kelkin peanut butter on them and celery sticks + green tea.

Dinner ????

thanks any help much appreciated really want to give this a proper go:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Wahey! Welcome Skippy :) This forum has a wealth of knowledge about vegan foods. There have been plenty of interesting topics recently, but bear in mind that many of the meals mentioned are vegetarian and not vegan, but they should be easy enough to make vegan. Have a look at: dinner, filling meals, lunch ideas, more lunch ideas, quick dinners, sandwich ideas, vegan chocolates, comfort food, burger recipe, eating habits, beans, BBQ ideas... and those are just the inspiring food threads from the past year. You can go back further and have a look about :)

To answer one of your questions - the brand Quorn is not vegan as eggs are used in the recipe, but there are other fake meat brands that are vegan. Fry's is one of them, and available in health food stores which have a freezer section. You can buy Redwood sausages etc from the fridge section (the whole Redwood Range are vegan). Have a look around their website. If your local health food store doesn't stock them, ask them to get them in :) They won't mind and want your custom of course!

And don't forget you can easily make your own vegan pancakes :) Get some of this No-Egg in your local health food store to replace the eggs and they will delicious.

Don't starve yourself on the diet - your lunch and breakfast look very small :D

And like a few others on the forum, I'm vegan, and would be most happy to help out with any questions you throw in the thread. And the veggies are full of wonderful ideas too :D

Good luck!

Advertisement