Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Clutch Success

Options
  • 19-05-2010 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just sitting here watching so many newly fledged birds around a field and an adjoining small wood. I noticed them in the garden last evening as well. A constant chirping of young birds and the shrill sound of them being fed.
    It seems to have been a great start to the breeding season. Mild, dry, weather with light winds seem to be helping the survival rate. Nature seems to have certainly made up for the late Spring. In other years, we have had disastrously wet conditions and lost many young birds.
    It looks like a bumper year this year, thank goodness.

Anybody finding the same? I'm certainly counting at least 70% more young birds than at this stage in most other years.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

seeing the same up here in Donegal, I put in extra effort with the cold winter this year, trying to keep food and water available , its great now to see the young birds fledging:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As you have mentioned it: I've noticed proportionally more bird activity around gardens where birds are fed. Hopefully all the additional effort in feeding them through the extended Winter will have paid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Somewhat very related,
    There have been much higher numbers of some moth species recorded this Spring. It could be because the season was delayed resulting in a shorter season so increasing the numbers at one time, but the numbers seem much higher even taking that ito account.

What this has a bearing on is that it's the caterpillars of these species that make up a huge part of the diet of many of our garden birds. More moths, more caterpillars, more food for nestlings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I often get the feeling that maybe, just maybe, Nature could actually survive despite us! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah it has been a good start to the breeding season here as well.

So far I have seen young dunnock, robin, house sparrow, blackbird, Coal tit, Great tit and blue tit in my garden. Plus many other birds of those species are carrying fecal sacks so there are even more young on the way.

Plus the starlings defo have young hidden in my roof.

• Advertisement
Advertisement