Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein Needed-What can I get it from?

Options
  • 17-05-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Need some help folks!

A friend I know is on a Candida* diet at the moment only problem is she doesn't eat meat.

Where can she get protein from?

I know some beans as useful but I need specific examples please as alot of vegetables are not allowed for the first few weeks.
    So as many things as you can think of, as she can check them against her list of "not-allowed", please and thank you!!

:)

*For those of you who don't know what Candida is it's a yeast thingy inside your intestines that messes up your insides and general body/well being! People have to cut out all yeast and sugars that includes natural sugar found in fruits. Just for awhile until they get they eliminate the yeast or get it down to a controlable amount. Certain starchy veg like potatoes etc are not allowed

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Thats gonna be one tough diet to follow, but from what I know, the best foods you can have would include:

Live yoghurt
    Green Veg (contains some plant proteins)
    Baked or Cannellini beans
    Hard Boiled Egg
    Soda Bread (should be ok as it is made without yeast)
    Hummus
    Pecan or Pine Nuts

Those ones avoid starchy carbs, meat, funghi, sugars, cheese proteins, fruit and most veg. Thats all I can think of right now, I'm hopeful that someone with more food knowledge will come along and help out more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Thats gonna be one tough diet to follow, but from what I know, the best foods you can have would include:

Live yoghurt
    Green Veg (contains some plant proteins)
    Baked or Cannellini beans
    Hard Boiled Egg
    Soda Bread (should be ok as it is made without yeast)
    Hummus
    Pecan or Pine Nuts

Those ones avoid starchy carbs, meat, funghi, sugars, cheese proteins, fruit and most veg. Thats all I can think of right now, I'm hopeful that someone with more food knowledge will come along and help out more :)

Cheers!

I'm on the same diet myself so it's good to know which options are good as the littlest thing can set you back.
    I was bold and broke out and had a bap like just a plain bap(Candida cause you to have cravings:mad:) and 5 mins later I was in bits. :(
    Will check out the soda bread for myself then so!

Only beans allowed are Green Beans.
    Alot of nuts are not allowed either so I will double check those for her and must investigate the hummus.

Eggs and natural yoghurt are good! Just concerned about how many eggs you can actually have in the week. I know they are dodgy for cholestrol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Cheers!

I'm on the same diet myself so it's good to know which options are good as the littlest thing can set you back.
    I was bold and broke out and had a bap like just a plain bap(Candida cause you to have cravings:mad:) and 5 mins later I was in bits. :(
    Will check out the soda bread for myself then so!

Only beans allowed are Green Beans.
    Alot of nuts are not allowed either so I will double check those for her and must investigate the hummus.

Eggs and natural yoghurt are good! Just concerned about how many eggs you can actually have in the week. I know they are dodgy for cholestrol.

Ah see I'm doing this thing for my diet and nutrition part of my course, and candida is one of the diets I was studying so I gleaned some info from it:) The beans SHOULD be ok but if ya say so, then its a no. Most nuts are not allowed because of mould traces aye, but usually pecans and pine nuts are the ones that give least problems. Hummus should be fine, made with chickpeas:) Oh get her to check out Quorn products...they have alot of protein but may not be on her "allowed foods" list.

Oh you can have 3 eggs every 5 days if watching cholesterol (according to health professionals)

Ah see I'm doing this thing for my diet and nutrition part of my course, and candida is one of the diets I was studying so I gleaned some info from it:) The beans SHOULD be ok but if ya say so, then its a no. Most nuts are not allowed because of mould traces aye, but usually pecans and pine nuts are the ones that give least problems. Hummus should be fine, made with chickpeas:) Oh get her to check out Quorn products...they have alot of protein but may not be on her "allowed foods" list.

Oh you can have 3 eggs every 5 days if watching cholesterol (according to health professionals)

I'm going by this website on the do's and don'ts you see and on it, it says only green beans.. so I'm not sure!
    The first week/few weeks they recommend you do a cleanse and strict diet and so avoid EVERYTHING even things that may only have a slight trace of mould/yeast/sugar etc.

There can be conflicting info out there. I feel I was going wrong before as I was eating loads of fruit not realising about the natural sugars in it. >.<

I'm suppose to avoid all wheat products too (my insides are fooked!) is there wheat in Quorn products?

As for the eggs....I'm going through about 3 a flippin' day :eek:.
    Think I'm going to have to start doing my omelette with just egg whites as I don't want to have heart attack. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just gonna yank something from a sticky I wrote
    Dairy products,eggs and
    soya products(tofu,tempeh,soya drinks and desserts)all provide complete protein in themselves.

Combining whole grains(unrefined wheat,rye,millet,barlet,spelt,rice,quinoa)
    with pulses(beans,peas,lentils)and supplementing with small amounts of nuts and seeds also
    provides plenty of protein.All the essential amino acids are found in combinations
    such as beans on toast,lentil curry with brown rice,musli with milk,hummus made from chickpeas
    and sesame tahini,peanut butter sandwiches made from wholemeal bread.It isn't even necessary
    to combine different food types at the same meal since our bodies can store amino
    acids for later use.
    minus what you can't eat.

You can get gallons of egg whites...egg whites are just protein and water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Hi,

I'm on a lo-carb hi-protein veggie diet at the mo.*

Some extras for you to consider - tempeh, edamame beans (fresh young soy), seeds and seed butters (esp pumkinseed - 20% protein, 15% carbs), mock duck/fried gluten/seitan (protein extracted from wheat, so...). Quorn is the big one for me (tiny amounts of textured wheat protein but I'm sure the main part - the mycoprotein, is out), though, with a lot of tofu.

Also the Linwoods milled flaxseed plus whatevers have impressive protein to carb ratios. Flaxseed, cocoa & berries is 22% protein to 3.7% carbs.
    Toasting seeds (and nuts) for a min really brings out the flavour. Hemp, pumkinseed, sunflower, flax, poppy, alfalfa, etc.

Eggs are great for variety - Maggie Thatcher used to have 8 a day, apparently, so unless you have cholesterol problems, I think yer grand with 3.
    (Fairly sure there's a discussion about that on the Nutrition & Diet sister forum - worth a look). I know blue cheeses are out but what about fresher cheeses - like paneer (you can make it fresh yourself, with milk and vinegar/lemon juice) and cottage cheese?

And hemp protein! Awesome. 52% protein to 4.7% available cabs in V-Pro - pricey though. There's also whey, soy and (much harder to find) pea protein powders.

Quinoa and buckwheat are not strictly cereals. Braggs liquid aminos (aminos being the building blocks of proteins) as flavoring (soy based but not sure whether it's fermented).

Oh, apricots, avocados and olives also pretty good too, iirc

*Love it, love it, love it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just like to mention That there are different forms of cholesterol HDL vs LDL. Eggs have cholesterol, but it's good cholesterol and reduces bad cholesterol. Discovered a few years ago, even if mammy told you one egg is un oeuf hehe. Eggs don't raise your blood serum cholesterol levels so you don't need to watch for them. They even have a phospholipid called phosphatidylcholine which is linked to making the cholesterol unabsorbable.

And as I said egg whites are water and protein...you could just eat them all day!
    Some Dunnes have them in the refridgerated section...but if you don't want yolks then it's prob cheaper to just separate the eggs yourself and to feed the rest to me. :p

Cheers folks!
    This is mighty info!
    (Fairly sure there's a discussion about that on the Nutrition & Diet sister forum - worth a look). I know blue cheeses are out but what about fresher cheeses - like paneer (you can make it fresh yourself, with milk and vinegar/lemon juice) and cottage cheese?

With the cheese it's ok I think as long as it hasn't been matured over 6 months.
    Will check out the nutrition&diet forum cheers :D
    Thanks again for all the info I'll be able to pass it on to her and use it for myself too.

it's prob cheaper to just separate the eggs yourself and to feed the rest to me. :p

Oh so breakfast in bed yeah?

SCORE!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Don't know if it's any use to you but I just came across this blog

http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/

she's going on about candida here http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2008/08/20/kitchen-sink-kitchari-an-anti-candida-stew/ all the recipes are vegan as well

Hope it helps :)

Advertisement