Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how the hell is Hip Hop dead? It's shining!

Options
  • 13-05-2010 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

New Bone Thugs N Harmony out (Uni5), Distant Relatives and Revolutions Per Minute next week, Under Pressure by Dre & Jay soon enough.

I'll admit from 2005 up to 2010 was hard (trap musik on the charts, no Eminem at his best, Kingdom come by Jay not hitting his hardest, etc) but I think at this point in time Hip-Hop has a sparkling future.

EDIT: Can you change title to Hip Hop Dead instead of head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

CorkMan wrote: »
    New Bone Thugs N Harmony out (Uni5), Distant Relatives and Revolutions Per Minute next week, Under Pressure by Dre & Jay soon enough.

I'll admit from 2005 up to 2010 was hard (trap musik on the charts, no Eminem at his best, Kingdom come by Jay not hitting his hardest, etc) but I think at this point in time Hip-Hop has a sparkling future.

Hip hops head shining?? maybe its bald?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

title amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

People who complain about hip hop being dead are lazy ****wits who can't be bothered looking.

I'd say Eminem and Jay Z are far from their best these days but who cares? There are lots of much more interesting rappers around. I'd rather listen to someone new anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I think a new breed of hip hop is starting to emerge. Some call it 'emo hip hop'. The likes of kid cudi do this kind of music. I like it. But it's been a long time since we got a classic album. The blueprint and maybe some of kanye west albums have been the best in the last few years. But hip hop if definately dying. Would love for someone new to hit the scene as hard as eminem did when he first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Jay Electronica and J. Cole are both good, looking forward to hearing more from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'll be honest, my interest has waned. Just tired of having to sift through the sh*t. Last album I got and liked was Blu & Exile. Bonethugs and Dre doesn't fill me with excitement.

Plenty of good end to end rap albums in the last decade:

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_rap-alb10-00-09.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

not dead at all, people are just looking at the charts instead of scratching below the surface. It doesnt help that prominant figures in the hip hop chart world are declaring it's death for marketing and album sales purposes.

In chart terms it is pretty dead. I read a good article about that lately. The only people who are really selling well in the last year are The Black Eyed Peas and it's more Euro dance with rapping than hip hop.

The advantage is that more artists are doing regional hip hop for people where they live and developing signature rap and production styles, instead of trying to do a broad hip hop songs that'll appeal to people all over the US and ending up with a dull mish mash.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Some call it 'emo hip hop'.

More like hipster-hop. I wouldn't really call it emo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Makaveli wrote: »
    More like hipster-hop. I wouldn't really call it emo.
    although i hate these classifications, emo hip hop is more along the lines of Cage and Eyedea & Abilities

Cage can be pretty hipster/scenester too.

true...but not in his most recent outing

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

Scroobius Pip, if he's counted as Hip Hop is unreal to listen to! More poetry then rap really but his lyrics are amazing

Advertisement