Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling Meals

Options
  • 12-05-2010 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've been on and off vegetarian for the past year or so, and fully vegetarian for about 3 months now. I find that I get hungry pretty quickly after what I would consider a nice size meal these days.

I'm looking for some ideas for some really filling meals to keep me going, especially breakfast and lunch. I'm slowly discovering new foods as a vegetarian, so all suggestions are welcome and encouraged! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I posted this on the recipe thread on C&H a little while ago, it's definitely filling! I would half the quantities if you want it as a lunch though.
    Put on your pasta to cook. Always add a wee bit of oil to your water before you put in the pasta, so it doesn't stick together/to the bottom of the saucepan.

Get a can of mixed beans and cook them. Drain the water off them when they're cooked, and add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some garlic and mustard. Just let this all heat up for a few mins When this is ready, throw it on top of your pasta (which has been drained by now!) and grate some cheese on top of it.

And for breakfast, how about scrambled eggs and toast/porridge/smoothies? Soup would also be a great thing to make for lunch, it's pretty handy to make up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I find bean burgers pretty filling. Two toasted pittas, a burger in each with some salad and hummus... had trouble finishing that yesterday!

I posted the recipe here. It's really easy.

Can't really help you with breakfast. I have toast :o

/eyes sig

Fake dog cookery show? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

My favourite meal to fill me up before a night out on the booze!!

http://thevelovegan.blogspot.com/2010/04/chilli-non-carne.html

What are you eating at the minute?
    Generally it is a good idea to swap refined carbs for wholegrains, include protien with all your meals, and a little fat. It requires different enzymes, so it slows down the transit of your food.
    Drink plenty of fluid, you might be mistaking thirst for hunger.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Mmm those recipes sound delicious, I think I'll go shopping tonight and stock up! :) Keep the suggestions coming!

Moonbaby, I've been following most of those suggestions, though maybe I don't eat enough protein. I tend to get most of my protein from milk, cheese, eggs and nuts, which I eat fairly regularly. So quite a ways of being a vegan, eh? :pac: I drink at least two litres of water every day, so I don't think lack of fluid is the problem. Perhaps more wholegrain stuff for breakfast would be good though, I tend to eat oaty cereals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Getting more protein from beans and whole grains might help there, also porridge with peanut butter and bananas (I seem to reccommend that to everyone for everything!)

A variation on beany pasta is my standard dinner recipe atm, I cook the sauce from scratch (onions, garlic, spices, tinned tomatoes, kidney (or whatever) beans, vegetables (sweet potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, carrots etc) and a cup of veggie stock, in a pot in that order), but you could buy a jar and just add the beans if you're stuck for time. I find that very filling, whole grain pasta would make it more so, or use brown rice.

Risotto is another very filling thing, though it takes a good amount of time and attention to cook compared to other things.

And spuds, don't forget spuds!

syncosised wrote: »
    Moonbaby, I've been following most of those suggestions, though maybe I don't eat enough protein. I tend to get most of my protein from milk, cheese, eggs and nuts, which I eat fairly regularly. So quite a ways of being a vegan, eh? :pac: I drink at least two litres of water every day, so I don't think lack of fluid is the problem. Perhaps more wholegrain stuff for breakfast would be good though, I tend to eat oaty cereals.

Switching to wholegrain porridge is a great idea. Peanut butter and Banana in porridge sounds amazing. You can bulk it out with milled flax seeds too. They do cheap mixes in Aldi.

Omelette's make a good filling breakie too. I like to fill mine with mashed avocado and balsamic, or cherry tomato basil and gouda.

Can you cook for lunch? Or do you bring one in/Buy?
    If you don't mind meat style things, I tried a quorn steak yesterday. It was very filling. I think it might be something to do with the texture. You could serve it with a salad with lots of grilled halloumi feta and some toasted nuts.

Crustless quiche is really simple and portable for lunch.....saute mixed veg, I like broccoli, onion and red pepper and then bung the mixture and some grated or crumbled cheese in a 10 inch pie dish. Pour in a mixture of 5 beaten eggs, half a cup of milk and a dollop of mustard.

Cottage cheese mixed with a yoghurt or fruit is a great filling snack.

Maybe it might help for you to use a food tracker for a couple of days to see exactly how much protein you are getting. I use a free one @ sparkpeople.com, fitday.com is another good one.

An egg, a cup of milk, a match box portion of cheese, a handful of protein rich nuts or seeds (Like almonds, cashew, peanut, pumpkin, flax) These are all coming in at roughly a sixth of an average womans RDA.
    It is really easy to not get enough and it definitely makes you feel fuller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Baking tin chuck in chopped spuds, carrots, parsnips, onions, mushrooms, eggplant....pretty much whatever mix of vegg you like, brush with some oil, bit of salt and pepper and any herbs you want to add [I add a bit of rosemary] Into hot oven [bout 230] and cook for 20 mins [rough time, I just check after about 20, can depend on how big the chunks are] Sometimes have a portion of baked beans but very filling on it's own. I always cook loads so can have the vegg cold the next day for lunch with maybe some salad dressing mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Getting more protein from beans and whole grains might help there, also porridge with peanut butter and bananas (I seem to reccommend that to everyone for everything!)

A variation on beany pasta is my standard dinner recipe atm, I cook the sauce from scratch (onions, garlic, spices, tinned tomatoes, kidney (or whatever) beans, vegetables (sweet potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, carrots etc) and a cup of veggie stock, in a pot in that order), but you could buy a jar and just add the beans if you're stuck for time. I find that very filling, whole grain pasta would make it more so, or use brown rice.

Risotto is another very filling thing, though it takes a good amount of time and attention to cook compared to other things.

And spuds, don't forget spuds!

You'll like this meditteranean recipe: one of my specialties.

pasta is spaghetti (nice italian one) cooked al dente.

Sauce: saute onion (small) garlic (1 or 2) baby leaf spinach. Add tin of chopped tomatoes and 1/2 tin water. Add sweet basil, salt/pepper, and a teaspoon of sugar.
    When the onions cook, add can of butter beans (rinse all the water off first) simmer for 5 mins. Mix the spagetti in. Turn into another serving dish and sprinkle greek feta all over the top.

(Optional: add black olives, or replace butter beans with black olives)

sautée the spinach with the onions? That does sound lovely, I love olives but they're so damn expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

That sounds delicious, I'll definitely try that! Olives aren't too expensive, Aldi's ones are great. Tesco have a 900g jar for about €3! :D

They're not nice though :( I was spoilt for olives growing up so my tastes are very expensive in that regard

Advertisement