Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iskon Ireland (Govinda's) served prohibition orders in April 2010

Options
  • 07-05-2010 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

It's a pity to read about this. I wonder what the food handling issues were.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/four-food-businesses-closed-over-health-risk-2167366.html
    Thursday May 06 2010

Four closure orders were served on food businesses last month, including three in Roscommon.

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) confirmed the Honeybear ice cream van operating on Shore Front, Buncrana, Donegal, was also closed down by health officials over fears of a danger to public health. It was allowed to reopen after eight days.

The premises in Roscommon were the Mother India restaurant on The Square, which was shut for one day, the Roscommon Golf Club Restaurant, which was shut for three days, and the kitchen of The Central Bar on Market Square, which remains closed.

Four prohibition orders were also served in April, including three which were later lifted from Iskon Ireland - trading as Govindas on Dublin's Aungier Street, Merrion Row and Middle Abbey Street - and the Real Brasil grocery, Unit 2, Castle Street, Roscommon.

The FSAI found activities in the establishments - either the handling, processing, disposal, manufacturing, storage, distribution or selling of food - was likely to involve a serious risk to public health.

Professor Alan Reilly, FSAI chief executive, said it was disappointing to have an increase in the number of prohibition orders handed out.

"We would stress to food businesses the importance of maintaining the highest standards of food safety hygiene practices at all times," he said.

"We would also encourage food businesses to visit our website, as it is a comprehensive source of information on every aspect of food safety, food hygiene management, food safety training and food legislation."

The FSAI added that in April successful prosecutions were carried out by the Health Service Executive (HSE) West Region on;

- Harveys Point Hotel, Lough Eske, Donegal;
    - Monsoon Valley restaurant, Unit 5, Building 2, Retail Park, Bundoran, Donegal;
    - The Oven Door, The Diamond, Donegal Town, Donegal.

"There is no excuse for food businesses to be unaware of their legal responsibilities to protect consumer health in relation to food safety," added Prof Reilly.

Press Association

Never had a problem with their food, I was there last week!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Sure it said that the orders were later lifted, meaning all is well:)

I've never had problem with their food anyway, its just too nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Seems to be summat to do wit undocumented raw milk, but they do make their own paneer on the premises everyday. Anyhoo, found the description here.

Under "Product withdrawn", "All raw or untreated milk which is supplied in the absence of appropriate documentation and which does not comply with the legal requirements set down for this product." - for all 3 restaurants.

I'm not surprised, my friend and I were sick after eating in Middle abbey st, earlier this year.
    I often drink raw milk, so I doubt that was the problem in my case.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Better not be shut down! Although I've mostly been eating in Shan these days, and have roped an Indian friend into cooking for me. Still, need my govindas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

makes you wonder though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

only eaten there a handful of times, but apart from being ridiculously full afterwards I've never had problems with it. Though I generally would only have a little bit of the paneer and other dairy stuff in fairness

Advertisement