Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutella

Options
  • 06-05-2010 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi fellow veg*ns,

I'm quite a new veg*n and I've heard that nutella is not vegetarian. I was kind of disappointed and stopped eating it. I found this on a yahoo answer thread. Is it true?

"Nutella Hazelnut Chocolate Spread is not vegetarian.

The following Fererro products are vegetarian:
    Ferrero Rocher (whey powder is microbiological, (vegetarian) unless sold in Prestige/Collection assortment packs)
    Kinder Surprise
    Kinder Bueno, hazelnut and white
    Kinder Chocolate
    Kinder Maxi
    Tic Tac Mint, Spearmint and Cool Cherry.

The whey* powder of the Ferrero Rocher contained in the Prestige/Collection Pack, Raffaello, Nutella, and Kinder Happy Hippo are of animal origin and therefore not suitable for vegetarians. Also the orange flavour Tic Tac is not suitable for vegetarians, the colouring used is of animal origin.

*Whey is one of the components which separates from milk after rennet (a byproduct of veal production) is added.
    Natural calf rennet is extracted from the inner mucosa of the fourth stomach chamber (the abomasum) of young calves.
    Meaning that whey can contain animal making it unsuitable for vegetarians

Cadbury's Chocolate Spread and Tesco's chocolate spread are both suitable for vegetarians.

Source(s):

Fererro UK Consumer Relations Department"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

hmmm. Just checked my jar and it seems to check out. There is a mysterious "whey powder" on the ingredients list.

Well that sucks. I thought all the major companies had copped on to using rennet alternatives. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Thanks for the update Karen86. And welcome to the forum :) I'm sure there are lots of other choc spread brands that are ok; do not dispair! Plamil do a vegan one that I like and it's delicious (you can find it in some health food stores) :D
    osplain.jpgosorange1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

There's also far too much SUGAR in Nutella - and no mention of this in the TV adverts when they're suggesting it's suitable for children!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Thanks for the update Karen86. And welcome to the forum :) I'm sure there are lots of other choc spread brands that are ok; do not dispair! Plamil do a vegan one that I like and it's delicious (you can find it in some health food stores) :D
    osplain.jpgosorange1.jpg

Hmm. Despair over! But does it taste the same?

Why do these companies use rennet still? So many alternatives...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 karen86

Thank you sweetrasmus! I definitely want to give Plamil a try as I like sweet toast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Hazelnut spread ingredients list checks out - veggie but not vegan.

Iirc, there's a vegan version too - they used to stock it in the Dublin Food Co-Op but I was back there for the 1st time in a month tonight and it wasn't on the shelf. I can get back to you on that. I doubt it's discontinued as it shifted pretty quickly.

"May contain traces of Lupin" though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Well, I was never a Nutella kid (it wasn't given to me, so I didn't know any better); I presume that is chocolate and nuts. The Plamil ones are just chocolate spread and are delicious. Delicious on toast. On belgian waffles. On croissants. And on it's own :D The first time I saw it I had to keep the jar to remember my delight in finding it. It looks after my pens on a shelf now :)

"May contain traces of Lupin" though!

As in

wolverine_poster.jpg

:eek:

'Had to WikiPedia that but worth it...

"Newly bred variants of sweet lupins are grown extensively in Germany; they lack any bitter taste and require no soaking in salt solution. The seeds are used for different foods from vegan sausages to lupin-tofu or baking-enhancing lupin flour. Given that lupin seeds have the full range of essential amino acids and that they, contrary to soy, can be grown in more temperate to cool climates, lupins are becoming increasingly recognized as a cash crop alternative to soy."

He is a bit of sex, all right. :D

'Had to WikiPedia that but worth it...

"Newly bred variants of sweet lupins are grown extensively in Germany; they lack any bitter taste and require no soaking in salt solution. The seeds are used for different foods from vegan sausages to lupin-tofu or baking-enhancing lupin flour. Given that lupin seeds have the full range of essential amino acids and that they, contrary to soy, can be grown in more temperate to cool climates, lupins are becoming increasingly recognized as a cash crop alternative to soy."

He is a bit of sex, all right. :D

:P

I'm trying to grow lupin atm. Never imagined their seeds were edible, never mind a complete protien.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    :P

I'm trying to grow lupin atm. Never imagined their seeds were edible, never mind a complete protien.

Yup - am surprised that I'm only reading about this now - a full vegan protein! Mind you it is a special variety that is bred for "sweetness" in Germany, other versions are more bitter and seem to need being soaked in salty water to remove/reduce toxicity, so be careful. Theres 200-600 varieties - I'm sure some are too toxic...and they are a listed allergan.

They fix nitrogen and "companion" foodstuff plants like spinach and broccoli - there's some good reading in this Wiki article;

Iirc, lupins are the flower that might be multicoloured the first year but afterwards always have blue flowers.

Nature, you freak!

***Edit*** Better info about the edibility or otherwise here.

And sorry, OP, for surprise thread hijack!

That's quite alright! Thanks for the info on lupin, another healthy veg food to add to kitchen pantry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

God I never even considered this! BAH!!! I also love Raffellos!!

taram wrote: »
    God I never even considered this! BAH!!! I also love Raffellos!!

Me too! :(
    They were my favorite chocolate....luckily they are hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Meh I love nutella!
    I second sweet-rasmus' recommendation. That plamil chocolate spread stuff is lovely :) Definitely worth checking out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I've always wanted to try the Plamil chocolate spread....... but I'm too afraid that I'll eat the whole jar in one sitting :o

I checked out lidls version of Nutella, it is whey free.
    I'm with getwellsoon though......i couldnt be trusted around that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Nooo! Not Nutella :(

At least it'll stop me from devouring entire jars of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Wait, what? o.O Is Nutella not vegetarian, or not vegan?

Novella wrote: »
    Wait, what? o.O Is Nutella not vegetarian, or not vegan?

the whey they put in it is derived from the calf stomach so it is neither vegetarian or vegan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

karen86 wrote: »
    the whey they put in it is derived from the calf stomach so it is neither vegetarian or vegan

:eek: Aaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh, fml!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Oo..

and yet another thing that they needlessly add animal to............. what is the need to do this........

there goes another food, not that i have it that much anyways, just very annoying.

thanks for letting us all know!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Steffi

Spar own brand chocolate-hazelnut spread is whey-free too. I've never had nutella but this stuff seems pretty good to me, and its less than €2 a jar. :D

Advertisement