Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie-Friendly Hotels

Options
  • 05-05-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, looking to book a rosemantic weekend away (we're already married so nothing like that! :D) and looking for hotels which are known to look after vegetarians.

I'm looking at something upmarket, but the problem is that the restaurants in these places are all Quail and Pheasant and the like. My wife won't go to any restaurant that serves veal or venison.
    The kicker is that my wife also can't eat wheat. So while you're €100/meal restaurant may do a veggie main, it's usually something wheat-based, and the only alternative is a stir fry. Which we refuse to eat in a swanky restaurant. If I'm going somewhere swanky, I want swanky food :)

I know we could go out of the hotel to a local restaurant, but it's always nice to eat in the hotel at least one of the nights and just chill out. :)

Not majorly pushed on location, though if I can avoid spending six hours driving to west Cork, I will :)

All ideas appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Cafe Paradiso in Cork - not a hotel, but a restaurant with accommodation; also doing a deal at the moment with Gort-na-nain guesthouse in Kinsale - see http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/blog/paradiso-and-gortnanain-two-day-package - not related to either business; just a satisfied customer - just seen the bit about west Cork: but its still worth the visit; Where are you traveling from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I have found that if the restaurant is of a high standard, if you contact them a few days beforehand they will make something especially once you explain. I have found this with stand alone restaurants, but have never tried it with hotel restaurants. The only issue is that they tend to ask you for a suggestion of what to cook. I haven't heard of any hotel restaurant (in Ireland anyway) being known for it's work in serving veggie food. Best of luck :) You may yet get some good information on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Farnham Estate in Cavan is a good spot (not sure if they do veal tho), they usually have 1 vegan and 1 vegetarian option but will do up gluten free too if you give them a day or two warning. It's a really nice hotel/spa in a nice location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I'd recommend The Park Hotel in Virgina Cavan. I stayed there a while back while on business in the area and was bowled over by the standard of food and service. The hotel is actually owned by US based Baltimore College and used as a training ground and while the hotel itself has a certain faded grandeur (needs a lick of paint!) it is comfortable, friendly and the food was superb. The Chef at that time was a guy called Christian but as this is a college I expect he's moved on... the dinners I had there were easily the best I've ever been served. Classy, original and not a hint of a vegetarian meal being considered something second-rate.
    Obviously ring beforehand and talk to the manager or chef (very approachable I found) and check to see what's available but it's worth checking out. http://www.parkhotelvirginia.com/loc/en/index.php

That said The Paradiso Café would seem to me to be an obvious choice for you. Not at all cheap though.

Café Paradiso in Cork - not a hotel, but a restaurant with accommodation; also doing a deal at the moment with Gort-na-nain guesthouse in Kinsale - see http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/blog/paradiso-and-gortnanain-two-day-package - not related to either business; just a satisfied customer - just seen the bit about west Cork: but its still worth the visit; Where are you traveling from?

I know I'm dragging up an old thread but I'm just back from a visit to Gort Na Nain and Café paradiso and can confirm it's really is just amazing. Apart from having my vision corrected (I thought I knew organic veg!) it was a wonderful foodie break. I couldn't recommend this deal highly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

hmmmm tempting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The breakfast in Cafe Paradiso is nearly as amazing as their 'normal' food, would really recommend staying there for a treat.

The breakfast in Cafe Paradiso is nearly as amazing as their 'normal' food, would really recommend staying there for a treat.

True, and the rooms are nicer than any hotel I've ever been in. More a small suite than what you'd expect.
    In fairness to Gort Na Nain the food there is no slouch either even when compared to Paradiso.

Advertisement