Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Vegetarian Lunch Suggestions

Options
  • 04-05-2010 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi
    I've been a vegetarian for next to all my life but i've found that, since i've started in college in '08, its been increasingly harder to find quick and healthy dinners/lunches.
    I have found myself going for the quick and unhealthy option half the time due to the great time restraints that go with my degree, any suggestions on something quick and easy?
    Also i'm open to any suggestions of dinners that can be re-heated at a leter date if made in bulk.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Check the youtube link in the vegan finger foods thread.....veggie chili that makes about 15 servings and is super easy to re heat [have to say I've eaten it cold and food it pretty nice]. Works on it's own or added to other stuff like some boiled spuds or salad etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

Boiled eggs are quick and easy, you can cook them in batches also, nice hot or cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Can't go wrong with a good sandwich, just have to vary the filling a bit to keep it interesting. :P

As for the dinners, I have a homemade powder (spices and such) that I add to tomatoes that makes a quick sauce. I add it to all sorts to make a quick dinner then; pasta, tortillas, or whatever. Super quick. Can give recipe if you interested. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Darmstrong

That chilli idea is great and I can even incorporate that powder and tomato idea in it :pac:,
    A great thing I used to do was buy a big bottle of oil, put a half pack of birds-eye chillies in along with 'bout half a bulb of garlic and use it with pasta or use it to make a stir-fry. (unfortunately i had to stop because i was going through too much oil, however it was so delicious)

Thanks for your suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Darmstrong wrote: »
    That chilli idea is great and I can even incorporate that powder and tomato idea in it :pac:,
    A great thing I used to do was buy a big bottle of oil, put a half pack of birds-eye chillies in along with 'bout half a bulb of garlic and use it with pasta or use it to make a stir-fry. (unfortunately i had to stop because i was going through too much oil, however it was so delicious)

Thanks for your suggestions

:eek:
    Tell me it's not true! It's the most delicious invention EVAAAAR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

On the cards today is a chilli

Chopped tomatoes
    Chick peas
    Mushrooms
    Carrots
    Cumin, parsley, chilli powder

Probably pourt the sauce over some spuds and top with cheese, d'lish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭stellarartois

That does sound lovely but it would be nicer if you added a few boiled eggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Peanutbutter and banana sandwiches are great, one of the most filling things in the world as well, and keep pretty well if you have to throw your lunch in the bag in the morning.

I'm lucky in that I live across the road from college so I can run home and make something, UCC isn't too bad for veggie options but it generally involves a big feed of cheese, which after a couple of years of 80-95% veganism can make me feel very sluggish for the rest of the day :(

Apart from that, a couple of pieces of fruit and a bag of nuts isn't a bad idea, the nuts can get expensive though.

For dinners, big batches of stew that take less than a half hour to make (assorted veg, beans/chickpeas, tinned tomatoes, seasoning) can be made up to last for two or three dinners, throw some chillies in too coz chillies are actually nicer to eat the day after. Then all you have to do it cook up some pasta.

Also, beans on toast. Or beans in pasta, that's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

That does sound lovely but it would be nicer if you added a few boiled eggs!

whats with the egg obsession? Not all veggies eat eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

And many do ztoical. No harm promoting a food they love :) Especially if it is easy to make and helps to fill a hungry stomach.

• Advertisement

Peanutbutter and banana sandwiches are great, one of the most filling things in the world as well

Toast with peanut butter and banana is far superior, just makes it so much nicer :]

I definitely think that Chili is on the cards just because its easy to make and its great in bulk!

I have found that nuts are expensive, maybe i'm weird but I never think of nuts as something that would be expensive!

Thanks again for all the ideas, you've got the creative food juices flowing :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Toast with peanut butter and banana is far superior, just makes it so much nicer :]

I definitely think that Chili is on the cards just because its easy to make and its great in bulk!

I have found that nuts are expensive, maybe i'm weird but I never think of nuts as something that would be expensive!

Thanks again for all the ideas, you've got the creative food juices flowing :]

Peanut butter + banana? Wow must try that. I adore peanut butter + jam.

iUseVi wrote: »
    Peanut butter + banana? Wow must try that. I adore peanut butter + jam.

Its so good, especially on toast, chop the banana up into wee pieces and enjoy, :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Nice in porridge too

Or dark chocolate in porridge, mmm. That counts as dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Random! Was thinking of starting a thread like this :) I tend to just stick to sandwiches, which invariably get boring. Liking the peanut butter and banana idea though! Never thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

word to the wise.... peanut butter + banana is indeed delicious, but wait until you try nutella + banana.......

Xiney wrote: »
    word to the wise.... peanut butter + banana is indeed delicious, but wait until you try nutella + banana.......

Nutella is sooooooo good <3 Nutella AND peanut butter is actually really nice!

...I've never combined the two.

****. it's past 9 and lidl is closed :mad:

oh and OP, sorry, I didn't mean to contribute to your thread going off topic so I'll post a few suggestions:

simple student meals you can reheat:

Chili, Soups, Pasta etc... and!

Curry

chop up an onion and some garlic, fry it a bit in some vegetable oil
    add a can (or two) of tomatoes (chopped or whole, I'm never too picky)
    add two tbsp of curry powder (I use the mild madras stuff you buy in bags at asian stores, and add my own cayenne to spice it up to taste)

add any of the following:

- bag of frozen cauliflower
    - chopped potatoes (try sweet potatoes!)
    - frozen peas
    - canned beans (chickpeas are very very nice, or I did kidney beans a few times because Lidl only sells them and not the chickpeas)
    - lentils (I use the red ones)

etc.

It takes feck all time at all and it tastes great. Obviously if I was making a potato curry I'd try to put in something with a bit of protein in it as well like some lentils since potatoes won't keep you going very long. Cooking times and amount of extra liquid you'll need may vary with what you're currying, but it's easy once you get the hang of it. If you want a creamier curry, stir in a litre of fat free yogurt once you've taken it off the heat (if you leave it on the heat while you stir it in, the yogurts' proteins will denature and ball up instead of mixing in properly - still tastes fine but looks a bit off!)

Studenty meals you can eat straight out of the backpack without having to hunt down a microwave:

- sandwiches (if you're getting bored of same old same old, try using a different bread, like whole grain pita... you'll get inspired and get some hummous too of course and presto, no more boredom!)
    - pasta salad (try cold rotini with pesto... nom!)
    - bean salads

• Advertisement

I like posts that can go off topic and onto a discussion, especially on Vegetarian threads, such a relief to talk to someone about vegetarian food without having to defend being a vegetarian!!

Nutella + Banana pancakes <3
    Theyare the BEST!

I find Peanut butter+Nutella just tastes like snickers sandwiches, snickers, yum, snickers on bread, not so much, too filling, always makes me feel like i've eaten a whole chocolate cake to myself!

yeah I think peanut butter AND nutella might be a bit much but I'm willing to try anything once!

Actually I baked brownies the other night and I had no butter so I replaced it with two mashed bananas and a smidge of oil... worked wonderfully and omg, chocobanana brownies?! Amazing. Not vegan because of the eggs but I'm not even a vegetarian :o I just like veggie food a lot

I find Peanut butter+Nutella just tastes like snickers sandwiches, snickers, yum, snickers on bread, not so much, too filling, always makes me feel like i've eaten a whole chocolate cake to myself!

:(
    Sometimes I wonder how we actually maintain a friendship!! :pac:

Xiney wrote: »
    yeah I think peanut butter AND nutella might be a bit much but I'm willing to try anything once!

Actually I baked brownies the other night and I had no butter so I replaced it with two mashed bananas and a smidge of oil... worked wonderfully and omg, chocobanana brownies?! Amazing. Not vegan because of the eggs but I'm not even a vegetarian :o I just like veggie food a lot

Oh my god that sounds amazing!!
    I have a great recipe for vegan chocolate cake and its better than any dairy-based cake and it always ends up kinda sticky!!

Chocolate and peanut muffins are immense!!
    must try that chocobanana brownies, they sound sooooo gooood :]

Advertisement