Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tempeh

Options
  • 01-05-2010 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have any simple tempeh recipes or ideas for how I can use it? I have a block of it here and have no idea what to do with it! I'm guessing I just cut it up into slices, marinade it and bake it...? Not sure how long I should bake it for though? And does it soak up the marinade well? Is there anything anyone can tell me about it? I really have no clue!!!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

If you're still wondering what to do with that tempeh, here's a great recipe: http://lornasass.com/cookbooks/new-soy-cookbook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

thanks for the reply!

I actually found the most delicious way is to fry up cubes of it in soya sauce and agave nectar.... omg so addictive!! I have had those in wraps and alongside some veggies and quinoa. Tis lovely. Also had some tempeh cut into fillets and marinaded in barbecue sauce then grilled on the george foreman which was nice, and also had it in a thai curry. Prefer the soya and agave though, so tasty and it really accentuates the nutty flavour and texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old'n'Cranky

Anyone tell me where I can get some of this stuff?

I've looked around in various shops but all to no avail...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

The Dublin Food Co-op sell it in jars and frozen - both organic. Failing that, I'd reckon you'd get it aisy enough in the Asia Market, in Drury st. (behind Hogan's)... or possibly any other good asian shop.

Have you tried your local Health Food shop? I'd check there too.

That's brilliant thanks for the quick reply

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Steffi

Health food shops with a decent food section should have it. I know I've seen it frozen in Nourish and I've seen it in the jar in Down To Earth. :D

Go to Asian Supermarkets, they have huge blocks at small prices! I went to a health food shop today and saw a TINY block for over €3! I pay €2.50 for a block about 3 times the size!

Go to Asian Supermarkets, they have huge blocks at small prices! I went to a health food shop today and saw a TINY block for over €3! I pay €2.50 for a block about 3 times the size!
    Yeah, I've noticed the big difference in the prices between both, I tried the Asian foodstore on Georges St. but no joy.

Steffi wrote: »
    I've seen it in the jar in Down To Earth. :D
    I never thought of looking for it in jars...

Jars?? How odd!

• Advertisement

Is it frozen or with the tofu?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

OldnCranky wrote: »
    Yeah, I've noticed the big difference in the prices between both, I tried the Asian foodstore on Georges St. but no joy.

Theres a much better Asian foodstore, tucked away outta sight, round a couple of corners from the one on Georges St. Go up the street between Hogans and the side of the Arcade, turn right and look up for a sign for the Asian Market (nearly the next corner).

It doesn't look like much at the front but you'll see asians soon enough (always a good sign) going in/coming out but you got through to the back....to an exotic foods Narnia! Indian, chinese, japanese, jamaican! Only place I've seen Durians on sale.

They may be closed on Mondays - that used to be the case, not sure now.

Yeah, I found it yesterday, I had known it was there and forgot..... must be getting old...

Cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Theres a much better Asian foodstore, tucked away outta sight, round a couple of corners from the one on Georges St. Go up the street between Hogans and the side of the Arcade, turn right and look up for a sign for the Asian Market (nearly the next corner).

It doesn't look like much at the front but you'll see asians soon enough (always a good sign) going in/coming out but you got through to the back....to an exotic foods Narnia! Indian, chinese, japanese, jamaican! Only place I've seen Durians on sale.

They may be closed on Mondays - that used to be the case, not sure now.

Aye but do they sell tempeh - I haven't seen it there meself

this is the asian market I go to, it's the best one! They do sell tempeh.
    And there's a good asian market opposite the jervis centre by the luas stop too.

Aye but do they sell tempeh - I haven't seen it there meself

Yes they do, I was in there today at lunchtime, I got a fair sized block for €2.50 as a previous poster said.

It's on the right hand side of the first aisle as you go in, about halfway down in the chilled section.

Advertisement