Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that is a long run...The continuing adventires of Hunny Monster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Ran with Jo last night for a pathetic (compared to what she's done so far) 6.8 miles with Blue Skye, wish I could've ran with her to the end, if I'm honest! It was originally going to be 3 - 4 miles due to my injury, but I found myself not wanting to leave her, if that makes sense?

She looks unbelievably fresh, her pacing is nice and steady and she's totally compos mentis. What struck me was, here were Blue Skye and I, two total strangers that she's never even spoken to before, and we were all chatting like we'd known each other for years - brilliant! I just hope that for those 6.8 miles, we managed to take her mind off the pain and probable boredom that she's going through.

A word about her support crew - they're just fantastic. Amadeus is running round like a blue arsed fly - he never stopped during the two and a half hours that we were there (there were a few stops along the way). He looks really good - in fact they all do, considering they've been living on four hours sleep per night! All the other support crew are fantastic, I couldn't believe that they actually asked us if we were OK, did we want anything - we even got a lift back to the car!

In all, running with Jo for that short distance was a great experience - if you can run with her for a bit today do so, you'll love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

colblimp wrote: »
    ..... wish I could've ran with her to the end, if I'm honest!

A word about her support crew - they're just fantastic. Amadeus is running round like a blue arsed fly - he never stopped during the two and a half hours that we were there (there were a few stops along the way). He looks really good - in fact they all do, considering they've been living on four hours sleep per night! All the other support crew are fantastic, I couldn't believe that they actually asked us if we were OK, did we want anything - we even got a lift back to the car!

In all, running with Jo for that short distance was a great experience - if you can run with her for a bit today do so, you'll love it!

You've really captured it all here colblimp! Given half a chance I'd love to ditch work for the day and get back out with them; great crew and it sounds like HM is flying :D Any idea where they set down for the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Went through inchigeelagh a while back she's going cross country now so no idea of current status ran/ walked through with two two hour rest and first aid stops. Hoping to go nonstop to mizen now

Thanks amadeus--thats well into the territory for counting down the miles now, keep up the brilliant work HM!

Is there a finishers tshirt? I expect the finishers goodiebag must have a lot of swag in it....

go-jo-go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Well done Jo, an unbelieveable achievement! I am in absolute awe of you!

Also well done to Amadeus and the rest of the support crew, it sounds like your doing a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'm losing it on a cracked screen phone and tried to edit that post above and deleted it, it was one 2 he and one shorter stop overnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭RubyK

Go Team Jo!!

Fantastic stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Truly inspiational stuff. Savage going Jo. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

baza1976 wrote: »
    I ran a total of 11 miles yesterday with HM, then 5 back home:eek: lol. She was in great form. As Red was saying we felt like the proudest of body gaurds.

Great to meet such gents as Zuppy, Red, and BB. It's true what they say the longer the distance the nicer the people.

I won't be able to run for 6-8 weeks and what a better way to finish off then to be part of something very special. Pleasure :)

If you can get out tomorrows leg do. It will be one of the proudest runs you'll do.

+1 on that Baza. I ran nearly 15 miles with HM on Monday and Im still all emotional about it. Im thrilled to have been allowed be a small part of such an amazing feat. It really hit me this morning as I got out of bed- its been 2 days since I ran with her and while Im back to my daily slog she is still out there going strong- unbelieveable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Bump. Big bloody kick up the ass bump.:)

Good for you Jo, hope you're nearly home!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Jo! Jo! Jo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

any idea of how long she has left?

mitresize5 wrote: »
    any idea of how long she has left?

11:40am- "In Bantry doing 11kph":)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

great - shouldnt be too long now

an amazing achievement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

11:40am- "In Bantry doing 11kph":)
    Rushes off to googlemaps

About 39 k left- "just" under a marathon, which gives a sobering sense of the enormity of what she has run so far. Legend.

According to the route planner she has just over 26 miles to go. Sure thats only one marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Great stuff, can't wait to read about the past day or twos running. Smashing turnaround in fortunes from the baking heat of the weekend it seems. Keep her lit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Absolutely unbelievable. Well done HM. You deserve so much more media coverage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jo!

Unreal and amazing what someone can do with the sheer will to do it. Money donated to a great cause.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wow, nearly finished :eek:!!
    The URI website states that the current malin to Mizen Head record is held by Richard Donovan in 5 days 14hrs and 15 minutes. According to my calculations, that means that if Jo can get finished by 8:15pm tonight she will break all known records (whether GWR or URI).

Go JO!!!

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Wow, nearly finished :eek:!!
    The URI website states that the current malin to Mizen Head record is held by Richard Donovan in 5 days 14hrs and 15 minutes. According to my calculations, that means that if Jo can get finished by 8:15pm tonight she will break all known records (whether GWR or URI).

Go JO!!!
    Is she not on day 6?. She started last Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gerard65 wrote: »

5 day 14 hours would be day 6 ;)

gerard65 wrote: »

Yes she is on the 6th Day. The last record finished on the 6th day too ;)

DOH!! Sorry, I can only count on one hand.

Fri 21 6am START- 18hrs
    Sat 22- 1 day
    Sun 23- 1 day
    Mon 24- 1 day
    Tue 25- 1 day
    Wed 26-midnight-noon=12hours, plus what she has left to run.

18hrs+4days+12hrs=5days 6hours at noon today, plus whatever time she takes to finish the remaining 30+k.

Go Jo Go!

Fri 21 6am START- 18hrs
    Sat 22- 1 day
    Sun 23- 1 day
    Mon 24- 1 day
    Tue 25- 1 day
    Wed 26-midnight-noon=12hours, plus what she has left to run.

18hrs+4days+12hrs=5days 6hours at noon today, plus whatever time she takes to finish the remaining 30+k.

Go Jo Go!

Your calculations look very confusing but i think we have come up with the same answer. She has 8hrs 15 minutes from noon today to break the record, i.e. 8:15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Giddeee Up Jo!! :D

If I could give you a virtual piggy-back I would! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

COME ON JO!

Is that a metaphorical cat I see about 30km from some metaphorical pigeons? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Respect.

Reminds me of 'meditations from the breakdown lane'.

Achievements I could only dream of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Nearly there JO!

I hope she hasn't forgot that she has to turn around and run back to Malin to collect her car. :eek: :pac:

Advertisement