Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after ECCE....?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

Ive got a year to go in a four year Early Childhood Care and Education Course, and i have no idea what to do next. Long term plan was teaching but thats gone out the window seeing as theres feck all teaching jobs going to be available.

Is there any way of getting into Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language or something in more of a Health Care path with what i'll have, a level 8 degree in ECCE?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I think it's either DIT or DCU that have a longish term project that they're doing on ECCE in Ireland. I did some work for UNICEF in ECCE, and I think NGOs like Save the Children and Plan might be interested in someone with an ECCE qualification, that depends if you're willing to leave the country though and what the course was like.

I'd aim for getting some work with kids as soon as possible, even if it's only a one day a week volunteering position, or a three month volunteer role over the summer, and then maybe try and specialize with therapy or as a researcher. I'd definitley try and get some experience working with kids as soon as possible.

Out of interest, where'd you do it?

EDIT: Trinity College have a child research center too, it might be worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I'm doing it at Mary Immaculate College. Seems we're very qualified to work with the under 6's, but the rest of the country hasn't really caught on to the "Early Years Matters" thing, so basically the wage would be the same as someone who's done Fetac (don't get me wrong, absolutely not looking down on Fetac, just don't wanna feel like i spent 4 years in college for nothing when i couldve done the Fetac one).

Really not keen on leaving the country long term, I've heard that New Zealand are really pushing the importance of ECCE but i wanna rule out employment opportunites closer to home first.

Thanks for the tip with Trinity, i'll do a bit of Research on it :)

Advertisement