Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan finger food?

Options
  • 30-04-2010 9:44am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I need some tips.
    I'm having a house warming party next weekend, and I'm going to make food. It's not going to be a dinner party, so it's mostly going to be finger-food style.
    I'm going to make falafel, provide pitta breads and salad, tsatsiki, one or two quiches, couscous and poatato salad.
    I just heard that a friend of mine would like to bring along her vegan boyfriend, so I've got to think up an option or two for him. Ok, the couscous is vegan, but none of the other food is.
    Can anyone suggest something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

I'd just cut up sticks of sweet peppers, cucumbers and carrots, a couple of tomatoes and have some corn on the cob ready for him. A couple of rice or pasta salads are quiet easy to make too. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Chopped up veg and hummus hmmmmm :)
    Tesco do sets of little tubs with 3 different flavours for about 1.50.
    Sundried tomato, caramalised onion and salt and black pepper.

Or maybe bowls of dried fruit or nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Humous, guacamole, lots of vegetables.

Lots of falafel and pitta bread is vegan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Pringles! Everyone likes pringles, and as far as I remember the salt and vinegar and original flavours are vegan, they're all labelled anyway. Everyone likes hummus too, and the best types of people like guacamole, and you can dip pringles in both of them. Fruit salad is good too, and you can set out a dish of yoghurt for people to put on it if they want, and soy yoghurt for awkward mc vegan pants if you want to be really nice to him :pac:

edit: happy housewarming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm going to make falafel, provide pitta breads and salad, tsatsiki, one or two quiches, couscous and poatato salad.

There's at least two or three things there he could eat, so it's not so bad!
    Bruschetta is always fun. Quinoa or millet croquettes are good too and not too hard to make,a bit like these maybe.
    awkward mc vegan pants

Might start referring to myself as this :D

Nice blog :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Oh, I love the idea of the fruit skewers and dark chocolate! I will definitely go for that!

Monkey61 wrote: »
    Humous, guacamole, lots of vegetables.

Lots of falafel and pitta bread is vegan too.

The Pitta bread is, but my falafel aren't. I've tried making them without egg, but they always end up disolving in the frying pan... yucky.

But getting some vegetable sticks might be good, and there will be houmous and salsa for dips. :)

Phsyche wrote: »
    I'd just cut up sticks of sweet peppers, cucumbers and carrots, a couple of tomatoes and have some corn on the cob ready for him. A couple of rice or pasta salads are quiet easy to make too. Hope this helps.

I had been thinking that, but all pasta and rice salads I've ever made had a mayonaise or yoghurt dressing.
    Can you point me to any vegan dressings that might be good with pasta?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I alwyas have a look at www.vegweb.com for ideas.

How about a tomato based pasta salad instead of a creamy one? Rice salad with apple, walnuts, dried cranberries and spring onions?

I made some little curry puff things the other day and they were quite simple. Or even easier is samosas - but some jus roll frozen puff pastry (totally vegan) and cook up some potato and peas with spices then pop the mixture into the pastry and fold to samosa shape and bake. Also onion bahjis are really easy to make and are yummy served warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Shenshen - if you can make your own dressings you can buy vegan plain yoghurt in big tescos and you used to be able to get Mayola (vegan mayo) in Tescos, but I haven't been able to get hold of it recently. Both are available in health food stores.

Maybe your pan wasn't oiled well enough? I've heard of many vegan falafals being made with no problems. If the mixture isn't holding together well then that's a different story. I use 'no egg', which you can also get in health food stores, which you can use as an egg replacement to help bind the mixture.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Threadbanger posted a good veggie chilli dish recently

It isn't vegan but very easy to make vegan [replace the butter with soy butter etc] Big pot in the middle of a table with loads of things to dip in like pitta or corn chips yum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I made falafel during the week - first time without egg as me and the Mrs. are now officially veganised - thought they would disintegrate but held together perfectly: I could post the recipe if anyone needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 karen86

Garlic bread would be delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

you could make veggie sushi with avocado, cucumber, peppers, soy sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I made falafel during the week - first time without egg as me and the Mrs. are now officially veganised - thought they would disintegrate but held together perfectly: I could post the recipe if anyone needs it.

Please post it!

You can also bake them if you are having trouble keeping them intact - bit less fat too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Nice blog :)
    Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh, I love the idea of the fruit skewers and dark chocolate! I will definitely go for that!

Thanks guys! Sorry, bit slow on the uptake there, didn't see your replies! :rolleyes:

Advertisement