Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dairy free alternatives in cafes?

Options
  • 24-04-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I try to avoid as much dairy as possible, use soya milk, soya butter etc except and this is a big exception, when I'm in town or elsewhere and just want to sit down somewhere and grab a coffee.

At home I would just use soya milk, I don't like black coffee, any time I make it, I usually taste it and throw it out.

There is an awful lot of milk in cappuccinos/lattes etc which I would rather avoid, I wish I could cut coffee completely, it's easier to do at home, just find when I'm out and about I always crave it/begrudge giving ridiculous money for some plain green tea.

Also I grew up on a farm :o and we used to get the milk straight from the tank, unpasteurised instead of buying it so I drank copious amounts growing up, which makes me rather uncomfortable given the links with breast cancer.

So, are there any coffee shops about that use soya milk, I've never come across it.

Alternatively can you recommend something else you drink in a cafe or is it just a matter of getting used to black coffee/alternative.

Edit: only noticed the contradiction in the title now, ya know what I mean though!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I think Insomnia provide soya milk. They charge a bit extra, but it's nice to have to option :) I've availed of it at UCD in the Quinn business building :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where aboutz town? I drink a lot of the coffees about trinners and pearse/nassau street so I'll have a look in these places. Will be in Insomnia again tomorrow so can check that out for sure. I've definitely seen it about but you might have to resort to milk pouches. :D
    None in Starbucks?

nomnom coffee, espresso has milk even doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Ah anywhere about really, I guess I've never enquired that much about it, too much of a coffee addict.

It's also very tempting when places like Coffee Society have whatever size coffee you want and pannini for a fiver.

Find a lot of places that have herb teas only have the really boring ones like camomile or green tea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh I sooo want that deal. :-O

Where are they?

Oh I sooo want that deal. :-O

Where are they?

On liffey street there right beside the game shop, there's probably other ones.

Of course you just have to get biggest possible size coffee when you get that deal :pac:

They play nice blues music in the background in there too.

• Advertisement

there are other size coffees? :pac:

i always get so addicted around exams. mmm I can taste an earlier one now haha.
    Cheers for the infooo, I mus have passed it loads.

well they have 3 sizes in there, grande is biggest, even though I hate saying that word :pac:, looks a bit like a soup bowl of coffee.

Couldn't survive without it during exams.

I am a divil for the grandes...I used to drink grande hot chocolates during undergrad, oh dear lord, you would be sick from all the chocolate and cream. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AVL5

At Butlers they offer soy milk as an alternative too.

I've had soy cappuccinos in Juice, Cornucopia and Cafe Irie in the past (don't drink coffee anymore :))

I know for sure that there are a couple of other cafes where you can ask for soy milk too - will try to remember the names!

cool thanks, I'm gona look out for those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

I have a soy cappuccino addiction! Always go to either Fallon and Byrne, they have great coffee or decaf with soy even in decent size cups. Hate those small little ones you can never fit your finger into the holder bit!
    Also Milk and Honey on Camden st do great huge soy capps or decafs and i think they use sweetened soy milk cause i never seem to add sugar to there ones.
    Butlers always have soy,
    Insomnia have soy, but i think their coffee is way too bitter and strong!
    Coffee Society has ok coffee but never have soy milk unfortunatly.
    If youre in Rathmines, theres a great little cafe/restaurent called The Village, just opposite Jo Burger that do great coffees, huge cups, and soy.

Theyre my usual hotspots! Enjoy :)

Doolee wrote: »
    I have a soy cappuccino addiction! Always go to either Fallon and Byrne, they have great coffee or decaf with soy even in decent size cups. Hate those small little ones you can never fit your finger into the holder bit!
    Also Milk and Honey on Camden st do great huge soy capps or decafs and i think they use sweetened soy milk cause i never seem to add sugar to there ones.
    Butlers always have soy,
    Insomnia have soy, but i think their coffee is way too bitter and strong!
    Coffee Society has ok coffee but never have soy milk unfortunatly.
    If youre in Rathmines, theres a great little cafe/restaurent called The Village, just opposite Jo Burger that do great coffees, huge cups, and soy.

Theyre my usual hotspots! Enjoy :)

I wasn't even sure if you could make cappuccinos with soy.

I pass Fallon & Byrne a fair bit, never had coffee there though, will try.

Milk & Honey sounds familiar but I can't place it, I've never been a fan of Insomnias coffee but haven't been there in ages.

I'm a little further north than Rathmines but I saw that place on cheapeats.ie , sounds good.

Thanks, that has certainly given me a lot of choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Starbucks offer soya milk although charge a bit more for it but you can apparently get round that by having a starbucks card. Not done it myself.

Butlers offer soya milk which is great as it means I can have a cup of tea at the airport!

I had a soya coffee in Insomnia once too and I am sure more places are offering it.

We need to ask more for it wherever we go and if enough people ask they might start stocking it. Sure it lasts forever so even if a cafe bought an outer of about 6 packs they could use it as and when as it lasts a good 5 days after opening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yey! Am at a DRHEA conference at the Quinn School of Business today. There is an Imsomnia cafe in the building so they are providing tea and coffee at a makeshift stand and guess what??! They have a JUG OF SOYA MILK on the table!!! I'm so happy :)

Good to know that Butlers and Starbucks provide soya too :D

flikflak wrote: »
    We need to ask more for it wherever we go and if enough people ask they might start stocking it. Sure it lasts forever so even if a cafe bought an outer of about 6 packs they could use it as and when as it lasts a good 5 days after opening too.

Ye you're dead right and it really shouldn't cost any extra since it lasts so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Starbucks always has it - in my experience anyway. Also, they only charge extra if they are making a whole drink with it (ie. A Soya Latte). It doesn't cost extra just to pour some on top of your tea or coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

If you're a regular in a particular place you should ask them to get some for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

I was in Gruel a few months ago and asked if they had any soy milk/soy yogurt etc and the waitress said they don't do any non-dairy milk/yogurt - even though some of the staff are vegan!? I thought that was a bit mind boggling!

It's great to see more places offering dairy alternatives.
    Nude do soy milk too.

Absurdum wrote: »
    If you're a regular in a particular place you should ask them to get some for you!

Ye there's one place that I am in pretty much all the time, I'll ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

you should just drink black coffee, the way it's supposed to be :P:P

• Advertisement

Ye, I do sometimes, hard to get used to it though.

Advertisement