Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone sitting BS2 Exams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Butters111 wrote: »
    My results arn't on that sheet!!!:mad: ha typical

well apparently they are wrong when you total them all up, as in they do not equal the total score on the sheet so who knows if they are even the rite results. Jesus they can't seem to get much rite these lecturers :rolleyes:

sinn7 wrote: »
    then go into how it could in this case be tolerated to avoid either a monopoly situation (cos that's never desirable) or to avoid both companies making a loss (because then they'll go out of business, jobs will be lost etc).

Sinn, is this hypothetically speaking that you say it could be tolerated in the case of the chain store paradox? Since it is illegal in most countries I just wanna know whether this is a statement of opinion or actual practise from the book.
    Thanks again for the help with this question. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sinn7

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Sinn, is this hypothetically speaking that you say it could be tolerated in the case of the chain store paradox? Since it is illegal in most countries I just wanna know whether this is a statement of opinion or actual practise from the book.
    Thanks again for the help with this question. :)

I assume it'd have to be hypothetical cos the chain store paradox itself is hypothetical. Never really thought about it tbh. If you got stuck for something to say you could go into how it would/could affect the local system of innovation or something random from another question entirely. Bet that'd impress him

well apparently they are wrong when you total them all up, as in they do not equal the total score on the sheet so who knows if they are even the rite results. Jesus they can't seem to get much rite these lecturers :rolleyes:

Yay for clerical msitakes! My grade got bumped up 5%!

sinn7 wrote: »
    I assume it'd have to be hypothetical cos the chain store paradox itself is hypothetical. Never really thought about it tbh. If you got stuck for something to say you could go into how it would/could affect the local system of innovation or something random from another question entirely. Bet that'd impress him

Got ya, thanks. Yeah org theory and marketing are now gonna be some stress-free studying :)

• Advertisement

Got ya, thanks. Yeah org theory and marketing are now gonna be some stress-free studying :)

yeah we totally need more modules to be 50/50 with regards to CA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Butters111

Anyone have a simple explanation for pareto optimum? please :)

Hey anyone have correct answers for the following 4 MCQ's. These are only ones I haven't been able to find correct answers for.

(1) In Monopolistic competition s the equilibrium production is where:
    (A) the average costs are minimized
    (B) there are increasing returns to scale
    (C) there are decreasing returns to scale
    (D) Average costs are equal to marginal revenue.

I think the answer is 2 but I am unsure.

(2) Oligopoly
    (A) unlike other market structures is defined in term of Conduct of the firms (I think this is the correct answer)
    OR
    (C) is a market structure where firms to do have any strategic leeway

(3) Corporate integration is where a firm

(A) Merges with or acquires one of the the suppliers of its inputs
    (B) Buys out its major customer
    (C) Merges with one of its competitors
    (D) Does any of A, B, or B

(4) It can be argued that the relationship between Multinational enterprises and European Integration is a

(A) Fixed one with a steady growth in MNE's over time associated with a steady increase in European integration
    (B) A fixed one with a steady decline of foreign MNE's over time associated with a steady increase in European integration
    (C) Relationship that varies over time and industry
    (D) Relationship unaffected by the enlargement of the EU

Anyone have a simple explanation for pareto optimum? please :)

This sums it up pretty well:

An outcome of a game is Pareto optimal if there is no other outcome that makes every player at least as well off and at least one player strictly better off. That is, a Pareto Optimal outcome cannot be improved upon without hurting at least one player. Often, a Nash Equilibrium is not Pareto Optimal implying that the players' payoffs can all be increased.

as far as i know Question 2 is A and 4 is C. not sure of the others!

• Advertisement

Thanks, **** I'm just doing a run through of everything and realized that the SCP question asked to "Compare" with other framework(s). I haven't actually made any direct comparisons in my answer between SCP, Porter, and Best but instead just explained each of them. Hope this is enough and he wasn't looking for some big critical comparative :(

sure just come up with somethin at the time. he always says 'there is no wrong answer...(once you argue it intelligently)'! Can't wait to have this over! best of luck tmrw :)

sure just come up with somethin at the time. he always says 'there is no wrong answer...(once you argue it intelligently)'! Can't wait to have this over! best of luck tmrw :)

Hope so, best of luck to u too!

Last minute panic, for 2009 Repeat paper: is MCQ Q.9
    (c)the top left?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 cartman555

yep i think so!

Thanks just making sure :)
    GL

Hey guys, hope economics went well for everybody, was definitely happy with the paper. Just cramming now for IR and getting last minute panic as usual, I have Lectures1-4 and L13 done but haven't done any external reading or anything. Also pretty much just the slides and some brief book material, is this enough you think? I'm sort of expecting to just waffle a bit too but am a bit worried about how in depth the questions mite be? That lecturer seems a bit too much of the academic type to write simple type questions :(

hey I'm freakin out a little bit too! I've only done lectures one to four and literally only doin the slides and his reading. I did it like last week and now I'm lookin at it and can't remember much of it. tryna relearn it here! also worried that i didn't take enough from his reading but its really long so we wouldn't be expected to know every aspect mentioned.. would we?? sorry I know I'm probably addin to the stress! and yeah i know what you mean he's the picture of an academic! but I'm hoping he's a softie! ha

hey I'm freakin out a little bit too! I've only done lectures one to four and literally only doin the slides and his reading. I did it like last week and now I'm lookin at it and can't remember much of it. tryna relearn it here! also worried that i didn't take enough from his reading but its really long so we wouldn't be expected to know every aspect mentioned.. would we?? sorry I know I'm probably addin to the stress! and yeah i know what you mean he's the picture of an academic! but I'm hoping he's a softie! ha

Yeah I've only really done the first few pages of that reading on the employment relationship coz its sooo ****ing long! I think i could do a good of waffling on it though if he asked a basic enough question. As for L.13 I've covered it well enough (i think), then i've nothing much for L.1 and a little bit for L.4. he said he's asking 1 question per topic so we should be covered but I really have no idea what to expect in terms of what the questions will actually be like. I guess a good guide to go by might be the assignment question he had on moodle from a while back. Anyway this exam is a bit of a funny one i think, it's hard to know, hopefully it'll be fine. Sort of wish I knew my CA result but what are you gonna do?

one question per topic but lectures one through four cover 2 questions right!? i will probably pass the exam with this yeah!? wish i knew my CA too, kinda makin me more nervous not knowing it

• Advertisement

one question per topic but lectures one through four cover 2 questions right!? i will probably pass the exam with this yeah!? wish i knew my CA too, kinda makin me more nervous not knowing it

yeah that should be fine, i'd say he's not a bad marker, he's hardly gonna expect too much knowledge. Anyway best of luck!!

Good luck :)

Hey, hope Industrial relations went well for everybody. Sooo happy to have them two exams out of the way, its such a weight off! Anyway need to get down to business with this Financial management, so damn tough with this weather :( Just wondering what exact theory stuff do we need to know coz apparently one of the long question will be theory so could be a great way to pick up marks. Should we just know pretty much all the theory that is on the slides?

hey, yeah just five more days and its summer :) hopefully the sun will stay!!!
    I would learn all the theory, i don't think there's really that much and once you give it a read over ya pretty much know it. I'd especially do WACC theory and Capital Market efficiency is practicaly guarenteed considering he emailed us about it after we finished! Don't think we covered preference shares and a few other things in section 3- I'm not sure exactly what, do you know? Anyone know if this years grades count for our final degree??

I would learn all the theory, i don't think there's really that much and once you give it a read over ya pretty much know it. I'd especially do WACC theory and Capital Market efficiency is practicaly guarenteed considering he emailed us about it after we finished! Don't think we covered preference shares and a few other things in section 3- I'm not sure exactly what, do you know? Anyone know if this years grades count for our final degree??

Yeah learning this theory is really nothing compared to the content of stuff we have had to learn off for out last 2 exams so i'll be doing it all. Capital market efficiency is certainly gonna be on it as you said and will probably appear as a short question. The longer theory could be more IRR, NPV, Payback, WACC etc. I'm really hoping one of section B will be about calculating one of the above as well but I never learned how to do that 'cash flows' question where you have to leave out certain costs like sunk costs etc.

It just confuses me and I reckon one question in sec.B should be one stuff like NPV/Payback/IRR of projects so I should be able to answer this much better than cash flows. As for section C then, there should be one question on theory. I need like 33%/100 to pass so I'm hoping I should be ok. Still confused over a couple of the short questions but will work on these over the next few days. Apparently the project appraisal question that we did for quiz 2 are not gonna be asked so we don't have to know these.

Ok cool. Yeah I'm a bit sketchy on the cash flow q and I went to that class!! I don't think it's even mentioned in the notes! Today I'm working on Market Research and Organistions, wanna have something done! you covering all of each or any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

No, only your results in final year count towards your degree. Your results in first and second year are only really important when it comes to applying for graduate programmes when you're in final year and when looking for summer internships.

Ok cool. Yeah I'm a bit sketchy on the cash flow q and I went to that class!! I don't think it's even mentioned in the notes! Today I'm working on Market Research and Organistions, wanna have something done! you covering all of each or any tips?

For marketing research, just read the slides and do the topics that came up on the sample paper. Stuff like Questionnaire design (10 steps), comparative & non-comparative scaling techniques (be able to identify the type of measurement used in a sample questionnaire that he may put on the paper) and Survey methods are the topics which I have highlighted in my notes as being the most commonly asked stuff. For this exam I need to get 16%/100 minimum so just reading slides on the topics should do it and being able to list things, and write briefly about them. If I manage to fail this one I really shouldn't be in college ;)

For marketing research, just read the slides and do the topics that came up on the sample paper. Stuff like Questionnaire design (10 steps), comparative & non-comparative scaling techniques (be able to identify the type of measurement used in a sample questionnaire that he may put on the paper) and Survey methods are the topics which I have highlighted in my notes as being the most commonly asked stuff. For this exam I need to get 16%/100 minimum so just reading slides on the topics should do it and being able to list things, and write briefly about them. If I manage to fail this one I really shouldn't be in college ;)
    Thanks :) Ha yeah I need somethin round that too. It's just that tutor Joanne talked as if it was really difficult and that loads a ppl didn't make up the 10% or whatever little amount they needed! and I know they probably didnt even glance at the notes but still... it freaks me out a lil bit!

• Advertisement

Thanks :) Ha yeah I need somethin round that too. It's just that tutor Joanne talked as if it was really difficult and that loads a ppl didn't make up the 10% or whatever little amount they needed! and I know they probably didnt even glance at the notes but still... it freaks me out a lil bit!

Yeah this really bugs me coz I emailed the lecturer Darach about two weeks ago asking about this and here is the response I got. I only got this reply the day b4 the exams started so forgot to mention it here.

"I didn't teach this course last year so I'm completely unaware of what may have happened. I'm also a bit puzzled regarding what was supposed to have been said in the tutorials as neither of the tutors were here last year either. I think you're asking me if it's possible to pass the exam without reading the text. The best answer is maybe, I suppose. There really should be no problem about this as most of the slides are based directly on the text with the exception of the readings on focus groups and interviews. Yes, last year's paper and the Christmas paper are good indications of the style of questions that appear for this subject.

Best of luck"

He is obviously referring to what is required to pass the the paper, i.e, 40% or over, I didn't exactly want to ask him what do I need to do to get 16% as I didn't think he's be too receptive. Anyway I dunno what the hell that tutor one was on about but if I had to guess I'd say she was just a gob****e!:D

Advertisement