Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone sitting BS2 Exams?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Butters111

On the subject of Financial Management, NB on theory of WACC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sinn7

Butters111 wrote: »
    On the subject of Financial Management, NB on theory of WACC!

What do you mean?

think there was a WACC theory question on last years paper, might be previous though, that was worth 15% and he said basically study that because 'if' there is one this year it'll be worth 25% of the section- in other words it will probably be on it!

think there was a WACC theory question on last years paper, might be previous though, that was worth 15% and he said basically study that because 'if' there is one this year it'll be worth 25% of the section- in other words it will probably be on it!

Oh wow! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Cool, tips are always nice to get at this stage :) Speaking of tips, is it just wishful thinking on my part or does anyone feel that that the Question on SCP might come up in economics since he has posted two new readings related to it the other day? Perhaps this means nothing and the 2 Q's will be totally random but I just have a feeling that one of the questions will be either SCP, Game theory, or the Neoclassical and non-neoclassical. Oligopoly too. Anyway I guess if u know 10 then it doesn't matter either way.

• Advertisement

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Cool, tips are always nice to get at this stage :) Speaking of tips, is it just wishful thinking on my part or does anyone feel that that the Question on SCP might come up in economics since he has posted two new readings related to it the other day? Perhaps this means nothing and the 2 Q's will be totally random but I just have a feeling that one of the questions will be either SCP, Game theory, or the Neoclassical and non-neoclassical. Oligopoly too. Anyway I guess if u know 10 then it doesn't matter either way.

My SCP question isn't great but come on Game Theory! I have like 3 essays or so that I'd actually love to see come up

Hey for Financial mgt, I am just trying to do a run through of things I need to know for the exam. I missed a lot of lectures (didn't go to :rolleyes:) so there are a few things on the course that I don't understand. Anyway I'm ok with most if the short question problems and I can do some of the sec B stuff and most of sec C so I should be ok to pass (I hope). Only need like 30%/100%. Just wondering how others are preparing for this exam. He keeps referring to the 2008 papers as guides so I'm hoping they will be similar.

Hey, section one we've pretty much prepared for when doin the mcq's. And to be honest I don't think you missed much in class as regards B and C- I personally didn't find him that great a lecturer, he was nice but didn't teach that well.:rolleyes:(In my opinion!) So I reckon its a matter of preparing for them with a book as his notes aren't that great for the longer questions!

As well as that I think he makes things overcomplicated- the formulas etc. are actually really simple to do once you understand them!

As well as that I think he makes things overcomplicated- the formulas etc. are actually really simple to do once you understand them!

Yeah I'd agree with you there. I hated the way we'd always do something a really long way and then he go "oh but you don't need to know this" and show us a much shorter way. It was so confusing!

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yeah the main reason I stopped going to the lectures after the mid term was that I could never keep up with him. I figured it would be like statistics last year where you could learn the topics yourself with the notes and book. He does provide very good feedback as a lecturer and is helpful but I wish he would just post up some more solutions on moodle. If you don't have notes then you just have to keep emailing him with problems. I guess it would make his life easier too if he posted solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭OrionsBelt

In the economics question on neoclassical and non neoclassical, what are the non neoclassical theories?

OrionsBelt wrote: »
    In the economics question on neoclassical and non neoclassical, what are the non neoclassical theories?

As far as I'm aware they're
    - Behavioural theory
    - Stakeholder theory
    - Transaction cost theory

anyone know in the Monopoly / Perfect Competition question for economics what you could use as 'real world applications' of the models. From my research PC does not exists in the real world and the closest thing is commodities like farming raw materials. Then for Monopoly I wrote Amazon and Google although these are not really monopolies as they have close competitors. Bit confused.
    thanks

anyone know in the Monopoly / Perfect Competition question for economics what you could use as 'real world applications' of the models. From my research PC does not exists in the real world and the closest thing is commodities like farming raw materials. Then for Monopoly I wrote Amazon and Google although these are not really monopolies as they have close competitors. Bit confused.
    thanks

Sorry but I got nothing for that! Although I'm vaguely considering mentioning stuff that used to be a monopoly but isn't anymore (Eircom, ESB) but the problem is I'm not sure if they fall under natural monopolies or not >.<

sinn7 wrote: »
    Sorry but I got nothing for that! Although I'm vaguely considering mentioning stuff that used to be a monopoly but isn't anymore (Eircom, ESB) but the problem is I'm not sure if they fall under natural monopolies or not >.<

Ok thanks anyway. Yeah thats pretty much what I said to as I spent a while browsing the net for examples of monopoly and it said they don't really exist anymore. I guess the closest things are companies like amazon and google who have monopoly power, .ie, large % of market share, barriers such as high start up costs etc. Should be finr anyway if this essay comes up.

Nice one Org Theory results will be out 2moro at the latest :)

Yay!:) For organisations see topics like culture- do we do the extra things she has for that topic? or was that just to help us with our essays?

Yay!:) For organisations see topics like culture- do we do the extra things she has for that topic? or was that just to help us with our essays?

I dunno, I am just sticking to the lectures anyway and the corresponding chapters of the book. I hope the results go up today, I'm so curious as to what I need to get in the exam. I haven't even started learning off stuff for org theory, this economics and and Industrial relations is really eating up most of my study. Can't wait to get these two out of the way first.

I dunno, I am just sticking to the lectures anyway and the corresponding chapters of the book. I hope the results go up today, I'm so curious as to what I need to get in the exam. I haven't even started learning off stuff for org theory, this economics and and Industrial relations is really eating up most of my study. Can't wait to get these two out of the way first.

Same here! I never thought I'd be happy to have something like economics first but the relief when it's out of the way...

• Advertisement

I dunno, I am just sticking to the lectures anyway and the corresponding chapters of the book.

Damn its taking me ages to get through the notes- Do you think we defo should do book aswell?:(

Damn its taking me ages to get through the notes- Do you think we defo should do book aswell?:(

Yeah I would assume the best way to prepare for this exam is to go over past papers with the book, forget the slides, as they are a bit vague and thin. She did say you would need the book to pass. Pick a few topics such as External environment, Culture etc. and go over the papers marking all of the question on each (or the ones that commonly come up that we covered). The just use the book to write sample answers. This is what I am doing anyway. The question will usually be the same but you should do all of the ones related to a particular topic because there are usually two types of questions that can be asked on the same topic so just cover yourself.

Yeah I would assume the best way to prepare for this exam is to go over past papers with the book, forget the slides, as they are a bit vague and thin. She did say you would need the book to pass. Pick a few topics such as External environment, Culture etc. and go over the papers marking all of the question on each (or the ones that commonly come up that we covered). The just use the book to write sample answers. This is what I am doing anyway. The question will usually be the same but you should do all of the ones related to a particular topic because there are usually two types of questions that can be asked on the same topic so just cover yourself.

I'm finding it really time consuming doing the slides! I think half of the the answer is a matter of understanding the theory and secondly being marked on your ability to interpret and apply it to a real organisation? I heard she said you need the book but if you have an understanding and can apply it i would that not be enough :confused:

I'm finding it really time consuming doing the slides! I think half of the the answer is a matter of understanding the theory and secondly being marked on your ability to interpret and apply it to a real organisation? I heard she said you need the book but if you have an understanding and can apply it i would that not be enough :confused:

I am not sure I understand what you mean but as usual I missed a tonne of lectures for this module :rolleyes: so perhaps you know more than I do about this exam. From what I gather though this is just another boring business theory module that requires you to learn very systematic information from a text book and address systematic questions. I know the CA was more open minded in that we were asked to apply the theory to real life organizations but I think (from looking over the past papers) that the exam is more general theory and that there shoud not be much to worry about. I guess you could compare this module to HRM last semester in that it was general text book material. She has also said in today's email that the questions are ver straightforward so again I am expecting question such as "list the characteristics" "explain what this means, etc" I really think the past papers are the best guide, but if you are worried email her coz she does seem to respond regularly to students.

Anyone know what the deal is with all those other readings for the non-union approach in industrial relations? Has anyone been reading these as part of the study for the exam, i've just done the silde notes.

hey I'm stuck yet again on a financial management topic. Wondering if somebody might be able to help? How exactly do you calculate FV of an Annuity?

For the question "Invest €1500 a year for the next 5 years and the pension will pay €2000 per annum for the 10 years after, at 10% discount rate, is this a good deal?"

So I know first I need PV of annuity which is
    PV=1500 x 3.791(from tables) = 5,686.50

But to find how much you receive, is it FV of annuity right? And if so what is the formula?

The formula on the slides is different from the one on investopedia.com, so pretty confused! Jesus, I wish the lecturer would just post solutions on moodle to the problem sheets at least. :(

Anyone know what the deal is with all those other readings for the non-union approach in industrial relations? Has anyone been reading these as part of the study for the exam, i've just done the silde notes.

I just did the slides as well. Had a flick through the Catch 22 article and it's pretty much saying what his slides said

hey I'm stuck yet again on a financial management topic. Wondering if somebody might be able to help? How exactly do you calculate FV of an Annuity?

For the question "Invest €1500 a year for the next 5 years and the pension will pay €2000 per annum for the 10 years after, at 10% discount rate, is this a good deal?"

So I know first I need PV of annuity which is
    PV=1500 x 3.791(from tables) = 5,686.50

But to find how much you receive, is it FV of annuity right? And if so what is the formula?

The formula on the slides is different from the one on investopedia.com, so pretty confused! Jesus, I wish the lecturer would just post solutions on moodle to the problem sheets at least. :(

Okay he did an example really like this in the lectures so I'm totally basing what to do on that. Just to note, both of the parts to this question are annuities.

PV (Recieved) = C*r ----> (he appears to be working everything back to today/present values rather than putting everything in future values)
    PV (recieved) = 2,000*6.145
    > (Present value of an annuity interest factor for 10 years @ 10%)
    PV (recieved) = 12,290
    > (This is the present value of the annuity the bank is going to pay you. Since this annuity starts 5 years from today, it's the present value in year 5. We now need to work out the present value today)

PV (recieved) in year 0 = 12,290 (0.621) ---> (Present value interest factor for 5 years @ 10%)
    PV (recieved) in year 0 = 7,632.09

As you worked out above, the PV (paid) = 5,686.50

Therefore it is a good deal because PV (paid) < PV (recieved)

Hope that helps!

sinn7 wrote: »
    Okay he did an example really like this in the lectures so I'm totally basing what to do on that. Just to note, both of the parts to this question are annuities.

PV (Recieved) = C*r ----> (he appears to be working everything back to today/present values rather than putting everything in future values)
    PV (recieved) = 2,000*6.145
    > (Present value of an annuity interest factor for 10 years @ 10%)
    PV (recieved) = 12,290
    > (This is the present value of the annuity the bank is going to pay you. Since this annuity starts 5 years from today, it's the present value in year 5. We now need to work out the present value today)

PV (recieved) in year 0 = 12,290 (0.621) ---> (Present value interest factor for 5 years @ 10%)
    PV (recieved) in year 0 = 7,632.09

As you worked out above, the PV (paid) = 5,686.50

Therefore it is a good deal because PV (paid) < PV (recieved)

Hope that helps!

Thanks Sinn thats excellent! I see on the facebook page people are posting certain questions but his replies are really short and he just gives a brief guide of what to do, always nice to have someone talk you through it :)

• Advertisement

Just doing my last question for economics as I realized last nite that I had left out 2 :rolleyes: Just trying to put together some sort of answer in the unlikely event that this and the Q I left out come up on Fri (that would be soooo sick:().

Anyway its the question on 'National System of Innovation'. I got a first part written but dunno know what to write for the second part i.e, "Can this idea contribute to a country's policy for innovation and if so, how"?

Anyone perhaps got any pointers or can refer me to pages of the book?
    Thanks

Advertisement