Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone sitting BS2 Exams?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sinn7

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Hey I emailed the economics lecturer and asked him about the exam and stuff. This is his reply, might be useful.

"To prove that you can understand and engage with a question, it is not required that you memorize an essay. I really don't know how much more info I can give you. If you know the main issues and points and can use them to address the question then you'll do fine. The other issue that arises from your question is a common student query on how long the answer must be. It depends on the size of your writing and so on. But if you really need some indication then one page is probably not enough. Does that mean two pages? Obviously, one page of relevant material is better than two pages of irrelevancies".

Hahaha sounds like a paragraph right out of his book ;)

ok thanks! I think i'll scrap L.13 and do 10 instead. U don't have guide for that one by any chance? Jesus I better stop picking and choosing and start bloody learning it, its getting close now :rolleyes:

I just followed the lecture outline, it's pretty straightforward.

• Rise of Non-Unionism
    • Pros and Cons of Union Recognition
    • Manager's Reasons for Non-Unionism
    • Strategies to Remain Union Free and the Circumstances That Lead to Them
    • Is Non-Unionism Effective?
    • Union Recognition in Ireland (felt like studying law all over again)
    • Demand for Unions
    It's pretty good cos each topic kind of leads into the next

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 cartman555

did the marketing lecturer give any exam tips/hints by any chance?:)

cartman555 wrote: »
    did the marketing lecturer give any exam tips/hints by any chance?:)

Don't think so no

Actually on the topic of Market Research...does anyone else find it to be oddly easy/straightforward? I'm wondering is it a trick and that it's actually deceptively hard. Maybe I've been studying too much economics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

sinn7 wrote: »
    Actually on the topic of Market Research...does anyone else find it to be oddly easy/straightforward? I'm wondering is it a trick and that it's actually deceptively hard. Maybe I've been studying too much economics...

No I think your right its very straight forward stuff. Almost common sense most of it, but on saying that you never know because its all down to the marker and his/her requirements. The lecturer did practically say that the exam is a no brainer though and just read the past papers so I wouldn't think this exam will be hard at all. People are freaked out though becoz one of the tutors remarked that a number of students went in last year only needing likt 15% and just passed by compensation, indicating the exam was very tough. What she never mentioned until the very last tutorial was that those students probably didn't even look at notes and assumed they were already in the clear from the 50% group project. So I'm not worrying about this exam really, the topics also are always very similar so I'm just going with the common topics.

Also, back up everything in marketing with examples to illustrate. Apparently he loves that.

No I think your right its very straight forward stuff. Almost common sense most of it, but on saying that you never know because its all down to the marker and his/her requirements. The lecturer did practically say that the exam is a no brainer though and just read the past papers so I wouldn't think this exam will be hard at all. People are freaked out though becoz one of the tutors remarked that a number of students went in last year only needing likt 15% and just passed by compensation, indicating the exam was very tough. What she never mentioned until the very last tutorial was that those students probably didn't even look at notes and assumed they were already in the clear from the 50% group project. So I'm not worrying about this exam really, the topics also are always very similar so I'm just going with the common topics.

Cool, glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking it's a grand subject. Yeah I remember her saying that they probably did nothing for the exam itself so it's no wonder they failed/barely passed.

Btw on the topic of IR and partnership, found this in one of his articles:

Partnership is defined as ‘an active relationship based on recognition of common interest to secure the competitiveness, viability and prosperity of the enterprise’ (Partnership 2000 agreement). It appears to involve a continuing commitment by employees to improvements in quality and efficiency, and the acceptance by employers of employees as stakeholders with rights and interests to be considered in the context of major decisions affecting their employment. Trade union support for workplace partnership is based on the assumption that it delivers beneficial outcomes to rank-and-file members

Not too sure if that's helpful to anyone but sure there it is anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Butters111

Also, back up everything in marketing with examples to illustrate. Apparently he loves that.
    Do you reckon we have to have researched companies or just come up with/give obvious examples!?

Butters111 wrote: »
    Do you reckon we have to have researched companies or just come up with/give obvious examples!?

No just basic examples to illustrate when you are describing something. Say you are talking about a type of question in a questionnaire for example, just give an example of that type of question, like "Do you purchase coca cola?" etc Pretty much everything in the notes is illustrated with examples anyway so just follow these I'd say.

• Advertisement

Gotta admit though, I'm actually a little bit worried about organizational theory & practise coz I haven't done one bit of study on it yet. I've just ran through past papers and wrote out the common questions on each topic. Sort of planning on waiting until Economics and Industrial relations are over and then cram like hell in the 3 days we have off. Hopefully the results for the CA will go up though b4 hand so I'll know what I need to get.

Gotta admit though, I'm actually a little bit worried about organizational theory & practise coz I haven't done one bit of study on it yet. I've just ran through past papers and wrote out the common questions on each topic..

Yeah I haven't done anything for it yet. But it seems like the kind of subject that you can waffle through! once you have the basic idea!

For financial management can anyone know if this is correct or am I way off?

Question: Suppose you put €1000 in the bank at the end of each year for the next 10 years. If the interest rate is 8%, how much do you have at the end of 10 years, if no withdrawals are made?

Solution: FV of annuity = €1,000 x 14.487(FV of annuity tables)
    = €14,487

Anyone know the format of the organisation theory exam?

Anyone know the format of the organisation theory exam?

2/4 Q's taken randomly from each of the 7 topics covered. Apparently the paper is "fair" so I'm assuming its similar to recent years.

does marketing take long to get through?:confused:

does marketing take long to get through?:confused:

Hopefully no longer than the 3 days we have off before it. From what i can see there isn't a lot of memorizing like economics or IR, just points and stuff.

For IR, have people done much on L.1 & L.4? The slide presentations are very brief so I haven't learned much for these, just pretty much whats on the slides and a bit from the book.

For IR, have people done much on L.1 & L.4? The slide presentations are very brief so I haven't learned much for these, just pretty much whats on the slides and a bit from the book.

While they're brief in length he fits a lot on to each slide! There's actually a lot of info there between 1 and 4 overall and along with his article I'd say that's plenty to write two essays!

While they're brief in length he fits a lot on to each slide! There's actually a lot of info there between 1 and 4 overall and along with his article I'd say that's plenty to write two essays!

Are you referring to L.1 and L.4 or L.1 to L.4, coz I meant just the first lecture and fourth lecture. I have a good bit of info learned for L.2 (Dunlop's Theory) and L.3 (Employment relationship) but for 1 and 4 i don't have much learned as there is not much in the slides to learn.

Sorry if i'm confusing you with all the numbers.

• Advertisement

Actually your right, there is a fair bit of content now that I look at the slides again. I was just wondering coz I am hoping to answer the 2Q's on L1-4 so want to make sure I have enough learned from these sections. I would imagine that there will be a full question on the employment relationship and hopefully that Dunlop theory also.

For financial management can anyone know if this is correct or am I way off?

Question: Suppose you put €1000 in the bank at the end of each year for the next 10 years. If the interest rate is 8%, how much do you have at the end of 10 years, if no withdrawals are made?

Solution: FV of annuity = €1,000 x 14.487(FV of annuity tables)
    = €14,487

Yeah that looks right to me!

Also on the subject of org theory, she said don't look at last year's paper cos it has a different structure but the other papers are grand

Actually your right, there is a fair bit of content now that I look at the slides again. I was just wondering coz I am hoping to answer the 2Q's on L1-4 so want to make sure I have enough learned from these sections. I would imagine that there will be a full question on the employment relationship and hopefully that Dunlop theory also.

yeah overall should be enough I'd imagine! I think this is what most people are doin so if we're wrong we'll all be back in August!... But i doubt it!:)

Yeah that looks right to me!

Also on the subject of org theory, she said don't look at last year's paper cos it has a different structure but the other papers are grand

thanks

For Financial management what exactly should be know for section C of the exam? He said the main things for sec B & C would be Capital structure and the Financing Decision but not sure what he meant. I know Sec.B will be stuff from Sec.1 like NPV, Payback etc so will Sec.C be on portfolio theory like in quiz.2?

For Financial management what exactly should be know for section C of the exam? He said the main things for sec B & C would be Capital structure and the Financing Decision but not sure what he meant. I know Sec.B will be stuff from Sec.1 like NPV, Payback etc so will Sec.C be on portfolio theory like in quiz.2?

Well he said C would be on sections 2 & 3 from the notes. Capital Structure is the last part of section 3 and the finiancing decision is like how you decide what proportion of the firm should be funded by debt and how much by equity, which is also section 3 notes.

the finiancing decision is like how you decide what proportion of the firm should be funded by debt and how much by equity, which is also section 3 notes.

Thanks, so this is all theory right? I mean there is no calculations for deciding how much should be funded by debt and equity? I know capital structure is all CAPM and WACC etc so these require formulas but in the slides on financing decision it is just theory.

Thanks, so this is all theory right? I mean there is no calculations for deciding how much should be funded by debt and equity? I know capital structure is all CAPM and WACC etc so these require formulas but in the slides on financing decision it is just theory.

Well like he could throw in CAPM or WACC or something as part of the question, I'm not sure. Haven't looked at that section yet

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Do you guys do the EF110 Economics module?

• Advertisement

Do you guys do the EF110 Economics module?

We did last year, I think

Advertisement