Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jay Electronica

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Looked forward to his album most definitely, although I fear it will get shelved permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Orizio wrote: »
    Looked forward to his album most definitely, although I fear it will get shelved permanently.

Whats the story with that???

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

anyone got mp3s of the exhibit tracks? i have an odd assortment of his tracks, these are conspicuously absent. (legally it should be okay to, since he posts all his music online for free download anyway, i'm just not arsed to seek it out at this hour)

of what i've heard, nothing really amazes me. his earlier stuff, the three odd-tracks with no backbeat set to ambient film scores, those were interesting, if a little gimmicky. sure he's good, maybe even very good. not amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

new fang wrote: »
    anyone got mp3s of the exhibit tracks? i have an odd assortment of his tracks, these are conspicuously absent. (legally it should be okay to, since he posts all his music online for free download anyway, i'm just not arsed to seek it out at this hour)

of what i've heard, nothing really amazes me. his earlier stuff, the three odd-tracks with no backbeat set to ambient film scores, those were interesting, if a little gimmicky. sure he's good, maybe even very good. not amazing.

Just my opinion man, his lyrics and beats are fresh..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

its weird you should mention him ive been listening to him alot lately, he's class love 'something to hold on to' and 'i feel good'... wats the story with his album??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I hope his album gets the go-ahead, I really want to hear more from him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A new single called 'A Million In The Morning' has surficed aparently from his debut album/soundtrack.

He's also getting a lot of support from Questlove which is positive, ?love is basically telling him he has the potential to make the next Illmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't really care if he brings out an album proper. He's released like an hour and a half of tracks so far anyway. Try downloading the Victory Mixtape that collects most of it in one collection.

He's got a nice style, and his lyrics are interesting. Certainly one of the more interesting rappers to come up in the last two years.

My favorite track of his is this:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Was listening to the new Reflection Eternal album this morning (which is great by the way), which features Jay Electronica on a posse cut with Talib, Mos Def and J. Cole.

All I could think about during Jay Electronica's verse was the following from Jay-Z:

"Cause the nigga wear a kufi, it don't mean that he bright
    Cause you don't understand him it don't mean that he nice
    It just means you don't understand all the bull**** that he write"

Granted I haven't heard an awful lot of him and he does seem to be good, but he definitely ain't justifying all the hype. A lot of what he says is garbage dressed up as something profound.

Yes Exhibit C is amazing, but I think a certain Mr. Justin Blaze should take much if the credit for that!

That said, loved the Queens Get the Money beat he did for Nas.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I like Jay Electronica, it's just a shame that he's too lazy to put out an album

I think Dilla & Jay would have put out a cracking album together if Dilla didn't pass way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i thouught i read somewhere that he has 2 albums nearly ready. One is called a 'soundtrack' but i dont think it's tied to a movie. More along the Prince Among Thieves vibe.

And he is also prepping his first real album but there are lots of re-writes going on as he wants it all to be perfect.

I could be wrong as i cant remember the source of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

He'd be kind of stupid to release an album really. He's getting crazy hype at the moment cos he's got a different way of releasing stuff. Underground rap albums are selling piddling numbers these days so if he brings one out and it sells badly he'll be written off as a failure. Anticipation of him having an album is better than him having an album.

Advertisement