Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary O'Rourke Watch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Mary is a breath of fresh air and isn't afraid to speak her mind. Love her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

...breath of fresh air? lol
    More like a dose of Sarin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wertz wrote: »
    ...breath of fresh air? lol
    More like a dose of Sarin.
    New keyboard needed after that! :D

I see we a lot of rabid FF supporters in defending the indefensible. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You could possibly say that if she was an objective observer, but her giving out about the previous Government, economic policy, mistakes made etc etc is completely hypocritical as she was PART of that Government and voted with the party whip every time... She is just as responsible for the state of the country as every other Fianna Fáil TD who voted through Charlie McCreevy / Brian Cowan (/ Bertie Ahern) budget policy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"Breath of fresh air" ? More like "more polluting than a herd of cattle"!

She "speaks her mind" when on-air, or when taking a cheap swipe at non-FF ideas.

But "speak her mind" in the Dáil and actually vote properly ? Not ONCE! :mad:

As they say - talk is cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    "Breath of fresh air" ? More like "more polluting than a herd of cattle"!

She "speaks her mind" when on-air, or when taking a cheap swipe at non-FF ideas.

But "speak her mind" in the Dáil and actually vote properly ? Not ONCE! :mad:

As they say - talk is cheap.

I feel now that Mrs O'Rourke is an elderly woman who is wheeled out onto the media on a quiet day, since she always gives great value. When people get to a certain age, they often start to lose their inhibitions. If this phase can be harvested by the broadcaster, before it turns into embarrassment, the gaiety of the nation is modestly increased.

For as long as her comic turn brings yields, producers will entice her in, will wind her up and, like a striking-looking Duracell bunny, away she will go. We may get a couple more years out of her yet. However, rather like the child that says something provocative or naughty unawares, Mrs O'Rourke is at a developmental stage where there is no linkage between her previous uncritical support for a disastrous government and whatever comes unbidden from her vocal cords today. Harmless fun, suited to an afternoon slot, I should have thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

O'Rourke - refusal to
    speak on live radio - shock

Its true folks. Whooda thought it eh ?
    The Joe Finnegan Show, (weekdays 09.00-12.00), Shannonside Radio.
    Earlier this week the radio host told listeners that his programme had made repeated efforts to speak to The former TD and Senator on air only to be told she was unavilable.
    She was invited a number of times by Finnegan to respond to critisism from callers to his show over remarks she made about Brian Cowen's drinking habits in the recent documentary about the former Taoiseach's time in office.
    Her refusal to speak to her local radio station came only minutes after she took part in an interview on the John Murray Show, RTÉ Radio 1.
    For someone who uses her ubiquitous presence on the airwaves to foster a straight talking image, she has shown that she also knows how to run and hide when it suits her.
    Those who like their bread buttered on both sides usually end up with greasy fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

One of Sam Smith's failings was his love of having Americans on his show. At one point he had an american who came on every week to talk about what was happening in the USA, unaware that those cutesy folks back home in Ireland had the electric television and radio, and he used to tell the listeners what they already knew. Sam stuck with this guy for months.

Succeeding him was some american lawyer who, at first, was reasonably interesting, but soon just became a bore, and none more so than when he used to flirt with Mary O'Mammy when she was on Sam Smith's show. It was cringeworthy, and predictable, and used to make me lurch for the off button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

She's on One To One with Aíne Lawlor later on tonight... I expect it to be similarly self serving and nauseating as her radio interviews..

She's on One To One with Aíne Lawlor later on tonight... I expect it to be similarly self serving and nauseating as her radio interviews..

Did it turn out to be similarly self serving and nauseating? Or did you do the sensible thing and tunr off the tv and do something else rather than watch something you didn't like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

On with John Murray now. Giving advice on how to cope with christmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Cripes the Clucking comfortable hen is predictably clucking on about being alone on Christmas and reflecting on life.I should hope she thinks about her colleagues and friends and the amount of harm they have inflicted and how materially well off THEY are! Go sh--t- youll hen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

easychair wrote: »
    Did it turn out to be similarly self serving and nauseating? Or did you do the sensible thing and tunr off the tv and do something else rather than watch something you didn't like?

If you were to turn off the tv or radio every time Mary O'Rourke was on, the off button would erode away.

Lapin wrote: »
    If you were to turn off the tv or radio every time Mary O'Rourke was on, the off button would erode away.

One solution is to do what we did, which was to get rid of our tv nearly 10 years ago, which saves us all that lurching for the off button.

When it comes to Radio, I now completely avoid the news and avoid most Irish radio, and have one of those wonderful wifi radios which is on the world service, or BBC radio 4, or talk radio 702 in South Africa, NPR in the USA and even the wonderfully named Strict Tempo Dance Music which we recently discovered, and I have no idea which part of the globe that comes from. There is a whole world out there where one is never in danger of hearing Mary O'Mammy and her reinvented self.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

She's on John Murray all morning.........doing Agony Aunt to listener's Christmas problems. Jesus wept !

Here's a christmas problem for her, that many would have...contributing to her f*ckin' ministerial pension/lump sum. In fact that's an all year round problem that simply becomes more unbearable at this time of year.
    Why is she still being sought as some sort of voice of the people by RTÉ or any other broadcaster? Didn't her lack of popularity become crystal clear at the last election? Less than 6% in a constituency of 84,000...she is irrelevant and not worthy of being paid for media appearances (she obviously doesn't do these for free).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Does O'Rourke get paid for her appearances on all these shows?

Everyone else does...I fail to see why she'd forgo any fee, unless she's on promoting a book or such. Maybe I'm wrong.

Fairly sure there was a thread about appearance fees on here a month or so back, or perhaps something in one of the papers about it... upshot being that 5 min appearance on news at one or similar worth 100 or more sheets to some of the usual contributors.

Wertz wrote: »
    Everyone else does...I fail to see why she'd forgo any fee, unless she's on promoting a book or such. Maybe I'm wrong.

Fairly sure there was a thread about appearance fees on here a month or so back, or perhaps something in one of the papers about it... upshot being that 5 min appearance on news at one or similar worth 100 or more sheets to some of the usual contributors.

Does it depend on the amount of worthwhile sense they talk ?

If so she'd have to pay them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

She's on The Last Word in relation to quotas for women TDs. I'm flabbergasted as I actually agree with her for once, and she's talking common sense! Who kidnapped Mammy and replaced her with an identically-sounding but sense-talking changeling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yakuza wrote: »
    She's on The Last Word in relation to quotas for women TDs. I'm flabbergasted as I actually agree with her for once, and she's talking common sense! Who kidnapped Mammy and replaced her with an identically-sounding but sense-talking changeling?

Is she going down the mandatory limits or otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

dulpit wrote: »
    She's totally opposed to the quotas; people should be judged fit for being on the polling card on their merit, not their gender. Which makes total sense. Which is why I'm convinced she has been replaced by a changeling.: )

She's totally opposed to the quotas; people should be judged fit for being on the polling card on their merit, not their gender. Which makes total since. Which is why I'm convinced she has been replaced by a changeling.: )

Mary O'Rourke in making sense shocker :eek:

I agree with her too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Newstalk w Sarah Carey Sat 21/01/2012

It's great that Mary still makes herself available, otherwise we would have no one to listen to.

She's totally opposed to the quotas; people should be judged fit for being on the polling card on their merit, not their gender. Which makes total sense. Which is why I'm convinced she has been replaced by a changeling.: )

Mary O'Rourke looking for people to be elected based on "merit" ?

Easily known she's resigned!

If they were elected based on merit or talking sense she'd have no pension!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Mary O'Rourke looking for people to be elected based on "merit" ?

Easily known she's resigned!

On a point of order, she didn't resign.

She ran in the last Election and got a pitiful 5.3% of the vote in Longford Westmeath. Her hogging of the airwaves didn't do anything to improve her Election result!

Skid wrote: »
    On a point of order, she didn't resign.

She ran in the last Election and got a pitiful 5.3% of the vote in Longford Westmeath. Her hogging of the airwaves didn't do anything to improve her Election result!

Also, to be fair, she did elected on a number of occasions to the Dáil, which she must have done on some sort of merit (for the people of Longford-Westmeath at least)

Although her being appointed to the Seanad was nothing to do with merit...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Also, to be fair....

In the context of this thread, you invalidated the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Does anybody agree that there should be a man in a white coat with a straight jacket pulling Mary out of the studio each time they catch up with her... saying "Come on now Mary... you're very good at breaking out for the old interviews aren't you - come on now and we will get you home for a nice cup of tea!"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Off topic somewhat, but "related" as such.

Was listening to a programme yesterday where it was revealed that Conor Lenihan, Mary's nephew and never the brighest spark in the room, is in Davos, apparently he's an advisor to some Russian Ogliarch :eek:

CL was asked what exactly his function was in Davos but he was as clear as Mary usually comes across in his reply. Family trait by now ;).

(I think he's helping resurrect the fortunes of FF by setting up a Moscow Cumann and making tea for Boris)

Advertisement