Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

24567146

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eventfac


    dayshah wrote: »
    I suppose €15 for 8 hours is alright, but what times would it be on at (prob finish at 11?).

    Also, would it be possible to go in at 3, head off at 6 for dinner, come back 7, go at 8 to meet someone, come back again etc. etc.

    That is possible yes ,wrist bands will be supplied on entry to the event ,this will allow you to pass freely for the duration


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sully


    Mod Note
    Okay folks, as much as I love a good debate and discussion - lets not go down the route of multiple accounts per person. It seems that we have two accounts posting here belonging to the one person - so can we drop that and lets keep the discussion fair.

    Thanks.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ ziedth


    can you Who?

    Everyone who has posted so far seems to post fairly regularly from what I can tell from the mobile site?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭ abouttobebanned


    At a guess I'd say Eventfac and Hardlife were one and the same, or at least from the same office.


  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sully


    At a guess I'd say Eventfac and Hardlife were one and the same, or at least from the same office.

    Same person - removed from the site by an admin for Advertising/Shilling. Shame really, but if thats the route you wish to go down!


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ ziedth


    Two threads about this over in the prison fourm.

    It appears abouttobebanned is evil :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭ abouttobebanned


    Abouttobebanned hasn't got a clue who these people are and can assure them, whoever they are, that this thread was started with absolutely no malice intended. They do seem to be very paranoid though. If they know me so well surely they can just ring me for a chat or send me a pm on here. I don't particularly like the accusations that have been made about me in the prison forum and this events company are making themselves look very childish tbh.


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ ziedth


    Well I said I'd draw your attention too it anyway,

    We all believe you :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭ abouttobebanned


    I still don't know who these people are by the way...

    But talking to someone else about this project I have learned that it's going to be, what we'd call a Community Development Project. Essentially, any money made from it will be put aside and used to develop the next event that could be bigger and better.

    Drink will, obviously, be sold at the event but they are doing their best to make the drink as reasonable as possible (€4 pints presumably).

    You can see what they're trying to do...and like everything that will bring more people into the city, it's to be applauded.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭ AdMMM


    The brothers must have went on the same typing course :rolleyes: .


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ MickClince12118


    having to pay 15euro in and prob 50 euro for drink throughout the day simply is not going to work without a big act to look forward to at the end of the gig, end of as far as i'm concerned. Jaded Sun are an act I would definitely be looking at if i was organising this.... also swanee river are a superb northern band that have not made it big down south yet. As far as knowing the acts goes for me it's 0 people will not pay and stay for a nameless gig


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ jo06555


    OFF topic slightly but was anyone out last sat night in town and if so did they see a crowd of girls goin around starting on others ?? my girlfriend was out and got started on with her friend for no reason what so ever , the bouncers said after the group of girls were after starting on other women too that night .?? any one notice them.... she was also told the bouncers said they may have bein travellers so i dont know.:confused:


  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ ziedth


    I wasn't but I'm after noticing a sort of scummy undercurrent after poping up around town lately,

    I dunno the majority just seem to be that bit more messy and as you day starting on people.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ jo06555


    ziedth wrote: »
    I wasn't but I'm after noticing a sort of scummy undercurrent after poping up around town lately,

    I dunno the majority just seem to be that bit more messy and as you day starting on people.

    Ye iv noticed it too , i prefer if i go out now to just go out during the day or good band in pub , i try stay clear of town if i can .:(


  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ rayc


    jo06555 wrote: »
    OFF topic slightly but was anyone out last sat night in town and if so did they see a crowd of girls goin around starting on others ?? my girlfriend was out and got started on with her friend for no reason what so ever , the bouncers said after the group of girls were after starting on other women too that night .?? any one notice them.... she was also told the bouncers said they may have bein travellers so i dont know.:confused:

    Taxi driver said something to me about a certain 'element' in town on Friday night, something to do with a wedding or funeral he thought. Maybe overspill from that.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭ abouttobebanned


    The owner of Kitty Kearnans sent a message to all its followers on facebook yesterday:
    MASSIVE NEWS

    HI EVERYONE,

    FANTASTIC NEW NIGHTCLUB OPENING IN WATERFORD CITY SOON.

    IT'S GONNA BRING A BREATH OF FRESH AIR TO TOWN!!!

    KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN AS ALL WILL BE REVEALED SHORTLY.

    I have my doubts. Apparently he's talking about TEN.

    Just in case anyone reading this has is thinking about opening another late night venue in waterford - DON'T!!

    Rubys, Ruby Lounge, Muldoons, Escape, Harveys. They're all only hanging in there imo..


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭ dayshah


    The owner of Kitty Kearnans sent a message to all its followers on facebook yesterday:



    I have my doubts. Apparently he's talking about TEN.

    Just in case anyone reading this has is thinking about opening another late night venue in waterford - DON'T!!

    Rubys, Ruby Lounge, Muldoons, Escape, Harveys. They're all only hanging in there imo..

    Let anyone give it a go I say and the best will survive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭ Musicman2000


    He might want to take a walk around the town Monday to Sunday apart from Saturday, Its a ghost town, Venues that are open at the moment are dead, who ever is opening a new venue number 1 needs their head checked, and a breath of fresh air, What can be different in another commerical club?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭ AdMMM


    dayshah wrote: »
    Let anyone give it a go I say and the best will survive.
    With nobody offering anything different, it only serves to dillute the demographic of those who go out. This is bad.

    Simply put (probably a bit too simply), if there's 4 venues, each offering the same experience and equally as popular, with a capacity of 800 each, but only 1000 people going out every weekend then we're going to have only 250 people in each venue. Firstly, the overheads of operating such large venues with low occupancy will eat into the owners ability to offer a good experience at prices customers can happily afford. If customers are getting the same bad experience in all the venues, then they'll simply find a substitute to going out.

    The old saying is that competition is good for the consumer but this really only applies when there's adequate demand to allow for it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭ dayshah


    AdMMM wrote: »
    With nobody offering anything different, it only serves to dillute the demographic of those who go out. This is bad.

    Simply put (probably a bit too simply), if there's 4 venues, each offering the same experience and equally as popular, with a capacity of 800 each, but only 1000 people going out every weekend then we're going to have only 250 people in each venue. Firstly, the overheads of operating such large venues with low occupancy will eat into the owners ability to offer a good experience at prices customers can happily afford. If customers are getting the same bad experience in all the venues, then they'll simply find a substitute to going out.

    The old saying is that competition is good for the consumer but this really only applies when there's adequate demand to allow for it.

    I appreciate your point, but people will just herd into the places with a decent crowd. Like when Bowery was open, but not many went there. A 'different' place is important though to be successful.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭ Musicman2000


    Have to agree with you there dayshah, its follow the sheep in Waterford on a Sat night and that’s Harvey’s, which I cant stand myself, I would personally love to see a new venue in Waterford that would have Harvey’s empty, The problem with a night club, Its the younger crowd that go there, and when the older crowd see this, they are not going to attend the venue, and in this climate disco bars are more popular with no door charge, It would be complete madness to open a new club in Waterford, even to wait first to see what happens with Ruby’s and Oxygen, and then make a decision. I can’t understand why the owner of Kitty’s cant see this. Its common scene.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭ dayshah


    Have to agree with you there dayshah, its follow the sheep in Waterford on a Sat night and that’s Harvey’s, which I cant stand myself, I would personally love to see a new venue in Waterford that would have Harvey’s empty, The problem with a night club, Its the younger crowd that go there, and when the older crowd see this, they are not going to attend the venue, and in this climate disco bars are more popular with no door charge, It would be complete madness to open a new club in Waterford, even to wait first to see what happens with Ruby’s and Oxygen, and then make a decision. I can’t understand why the owner of Kitty’s cant see this. Its common scene.

    If I was going to open somewhere I would wait for the dust to settle after the whole Tweedy thing. Pure speculation, but maybe the person did buy a Tweedy place and by new venue they just mean rebranding.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭ merlante


    What Waterford needs are a few small but classy late night venues. Wine bars/cafes, etc. A lot of people don't go out in Waterford at all because of the lack of choice. A lot of people don't want the big meat market. A lot of people won't go near the junction because it's a disaster on Fridays and Saturdays. I think a few smaller niche places, say in the Michael st. area, would tempt in a small crowd. A lot of people eat out in Waterford these days. Where do these people go for a drink afterwards? Nowhere. They go home, because Harvey's, which might be the only place that caters for their age group, but it's a brutal change of pace from the restaurant.

    Isn't there a wine bar license or something like that brought in by McDowell, or did that go through?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭ dayshah


    merlante wrote: »
    What Waterford needs are a few small but classy late night venues. Wine bars/cafes, etc. A lot of people don't go out in Waterford at all because of the lack of choice. A lot of people don't want the big meat market. A lot of people won't go near the junction because it's a disaster on Fridays and Saturdays. I think a few smaller niche places, say in the Michael st. area, would tempt in a small crowd. A lot of people eat out in Waterford these days. Where do these people go for a drink afterwards? Nowhere. They go home, because Harvey's, which might be the only place that caters for their age group, but it's a brutal change of pace from the restaurant.

    Isn't there a wine bar license or something like that brought in by McDowell, or did that go through?

    The McDowell thing fell through, but you can get a licence for wine and beer easier.

    I was thinking it would be an idea to open a "no spirits" pub. I'd charge low prices for beer and wine because I wouldn't have the overhead of a full licence.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ MickClince12118


    merlante wrote: »
    What Waterford needs are a few small but classy late night venues. Wine bars/cafes, etc. A lot of people don't go out in Waterford at all because of the lack of choice. A lot of people don't want the big meat market. A lot of people won't go near the junction because it's a disaster on Fridays and Saturdays. I think a few smaller niche places, say in the Michael st. area, would tempt in a small crowd. A lot of people eat out in Waterford these days. Where do these people go for a drink afterwards? Nowhere. They go home, because Harvey's, which might be the only place that caters for their age group, but it's a brutal change of pace from the restaurant.

    Isn't there a wine bar license or something like that brought in by McDowell, or did that go through?

    a wine bar isn't really going to bring anyone in , the pace of a wine bar is the same as that of drinking at home maybe even slower, how many people are going to choose the prices of a wine bar in comparison with buying drink in at home? I can't see very many. People generally only go out now when they are really up for it and a wine bar isnt going to be the right venue when thats the case. I know there is/was one in gorey where i'm originally from and it's empty every night of the week. I do support the need for something different however. I personally don't like the whole disco bar scene which seems to be more and more the case with pubs these days. The unavoidable tasteless computerised music pumping into my ears can turn me off the night out within minutes. there are good pubs which offer a different scene already, which have more than adequate space like twister vicks, which i think is a really nice pub and plays good alternative music but just doesnt get a crowd.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭ dayshah


    I've never been to a wine bar, is it much different to a café? I don't go for the staying at home part, I mean that applies to everything (eg CDs cheaper than a concert, TV cheaper than cinema).

    How about a beer bar though? I never drink spirits, and my friends don't often (at least not early in the night) so a place with a wine and beer licence might be viable, without the cost of a full licence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭ merlante


    a wine bar isn't really going to bring anyone in , the pace of a wine bar is the same as that of drinking at home maybe even slower, how many people are going to choose the prices of a wine bar in comparison with buying drink in at home? I can't see very many. People generally only go out now when they are really up for it and a wine bar isnt going to be the right venue when thats the case. I know there is/was one in gorey where i'm originally from and it's empty every night of the week. I do support the need for something different however. I personally don't like the whole disco bar scene which seems to be more and more the case with pubs these days. The unavoidable tasteless computerised music pumping into my ears can turn me off the night out within minutes. there are good pubs which offer a different scene already, which have more than adequate space like twister vicks, which i think is a really nice pub and plays good alternative music but just doesnt get a crowd.

    Firstly, wine bars can and do generate good business around the world. Secondly, if you think that drinking out in a wine bar is comparable with drinking at home, then perhaps a wine bar is not for you. People spend a lot of money in restaurants and pubs when they could eat or drink at home, but it really isin't the same. I mean between a lively sociable atmosphere where people drink and chat in groups compared with sitting at home necking cheap plonk from Tescos to the immortal strains of Roy Orbison's Only the Lonely.

    The third thing is that you can actually serve beer and coffee there as well!

    The fourth thing is that Gorey is fecky little town and Waterford is about 6 times the size of it, so I think it would work well enough. Bodega makes money on wine. If you have a few wine bars and cafes together then you'd get people coming in for miles. You're talking about an order of magnitude more people coming in to town. The only thing you have to do is keep them well away from the junction.

    The restaurants in town are a prime example of the money that can be made from businesses that aren't pubs. And every time I go into a restaurant I'm surprised by the numbers in there and struck by the numbers of people that only come into town for restaurants and never for the nightlife, because, understandably enough, what we have is a little bit too nasty for certain discerning groups.

    Also, I assume you have a live-in significant other? Otherwise drinking at home can be pretty sorry stuff. The two main assumption on this board seems to be that everyone has a car and everyone has a girlfriend. God love you if this doesn't apply to you, because you won't get much sympathy from some of this crowd. ;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ MickClince12118


    merlante wrote: »
    Firstly, wine bars can and do generate good business around the world. Secondly, if you think that drinking out in a wine bar is comparable with drinking at home, then perhaps a wine bar is not for you. People spend a lot of money in restaurants and pubs when they could eat or drink at home, but it really isin't the same. I mean between a lively sociable atmosphere where people drink and chat in groups compared with sitting at home necking cheap plonk from Tescos to the immortal strains of Roy Orbison's Only the Lonely.

    The third thing is that you can actually serve beer and coffee there as well!

    The fourth thing is that Gorey is fecky little town and Waterford is about 6 times the size of it, so I think it would work well enough. Bodega makes money on wine. If you have a few wine bars and cafes together then you'd get people coming in for miles. You're talking about an order of magnitude more people coming in to town. The only thing you have to do is keep them well away from the junction.

    The restaurants in town are a prime example of the money that can be made from businesses that aren't pubs. And every time I go into a restaurant I'm surprised by the numbers in there and struck by the numbers of people that only come into town for restaurants and never for the nightlife, because, understandably enough, what we have is a little bit too nasty for certain discerning groups.

    Also, I assume you have a live-in significant other? Otherwise drinking at home can be pretty sorry stuff. The two main assumption on this board seems to be that everyone has a car and everyone has a girlfriend. God love you if this doesn't apply to you, because you won't get much sympathy from some of this crowd. ;)


    Gorey, a "little fecky town"? The population is estimated at 30,000 people and the most important fact is that people actually still go out in gorey, as much as ever and still no business for the wine bar.In comparison waterford with a population of 45,000 people, has feck all people going out. I agree around the world it can work, i just don't think its something a lot of irish people are attracted to, and wouldn't work in a city the size of Waterford, when really Waterford is just a big town. I reckon it could only work in a much more highly populated area. Wine bars don't have the atmosphere of a pub and are generally very quiet in comparison. It all comes down to the Irish people in my opinion, as a nation we are generally quite loud that's why i don't believe it can work. And sure it would be nice to be able to afford people who want peace and quite the option of having that, but realisticly I can't see there being anywhere near enough demand for it.

    As for staying in, yes i do have a partner, but its always nice to have friends around to the place who you would go out with anyway.
    A lot of the time the most simple nights can be the best.
    Also just because your staying in doesn't mean your drinking tesco beer.
    Ass for playing something as dull as only the only, obviously that would not be the case.(and thankfully isnt in my collection) :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭ merlante


    Gorey, a "little fecky town"? The population is estimated at 30,000 people and the most important fact is that people actually still go out in gorey, as much as ever and still no business for the wine bar.In comparison waterford with a population of 45,000 people, has feck all people going out. I agree around the world it can work, i just don't think its something a lot of irish people are attracted to, and wouldn't work in a city the size of Waterford, when really Waterford is just a big town. I reckon it could only work in a much more highly populated area. Wine bars don't have the atmosphere of a pub and are generally very quiet in comparison. It all comes down to the Irish people in my opinion, as a nation we are generally quite loud that's why i don't believe it can work. And sure it would be nice to be able to afford people who want peace and quite the option of having that, but realisticly I can't see there being anywhere near enough demand for it.

    I've heard all of the bloated population estimates and projections for commuter towns. Luckily, the CSO has the real figures (http://cso.ie/census/documents/Amended%20census2006_%20Volume%201%20Pop%20Classified%20by%20Area.pdf):

    Rank Name Size
    5. Waterford 49,213
    40. Tramore 9,634
    57. Gorey 7,193

    So as we can see, Waterford is the 5th largest centre in the country, which has a satellite town that that is still bigger than Gorey. Gorey did grow very quickly in the boom, but I think it's fairly safe to say that it will not grow any further in the future. In fact most of the population is from Dublin and many will move back when they get the opportunity.

    Waterford might not be large in international terms, but in Irish terms it is one of our primary cities and a regional capital, with the infrastructure that reflects that status. There are 72,846 within a 15 minute drive of Waterford city. Clearly, there is nothing like this population around Gorey.

    So if Gorey can support a wine bar, we'll take 4, thanks.

    Now having said that, many Waterford people have abandoned their city centre, so there is some work to be done in getting people back. And of course new businesses need to open up. But in any case, there are about twice as many people living in the inner city as there are in Gorey anyway.
    As for staying in, yes i do have a partner, but its always nice to have friends around to the place who you would go out with anyway.
    A lot of the time the most simple nights can be the best.
    Also just because your staying in doesn't mean your drinking tesco beer.
    Ass for playing something as dull as only the only, obviously that would not be the case.(and thankfully isnt in my collection) :)

    Fair enough, but you'll probably accept that for single people, drinking at home, with friends or otherwise, is not really all that much fun. And some of us like to live the single life vicariously through others! ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭ dayshah


    merlante wrote: »

    Waterford might not be large in international terms, but in Irish terms it is one of our primary cities and a regional capital, with the infrastructure that reflects that status. There are 72,846 within a 15 minute drive of Waterford city. Clearly, there is nothing like this population around Gorey.

    I think wine bars lend themselves to driving their more than pubs as you could drink a little and drive home safely.

    I think though there is a big gap in the market for Beer bars (that also have wine).

    I never worked in a pub, but I'd expect the majority of turnover is due to beer sales rather than spirits.


Advertisement