Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I see from the developments update in the N&S that Bob Tweedy is making a comeback in the old La Palma. I'm guessing it would be like one of the similar multi-story Georgian bars that are in Dublin? Would be a good addition there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

AdMMM wrote: »
    I see from the developments update in the N&S that Bob Tweedy is making a comeback in the old La Palma. I'm guessing it would be like one of the similar multi-story Georgian bars that are in Dublin? Would be a good addition there.

I always thought The Maryland would make a great boutique hotel with a nice bar at the front,it looks terrible as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

I always thought The Maryland would make a great boutique hotel with a nice bar at the front,it looks terrible as is.

Anytime I have been stuck @ traffic lights coming down Colbeck Street I have thought the exact same thing. Its a good location and would be a great small boutique spot if done right. A rooftop bar or spa perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Some shish joint opened tonight usual drive thru video posted with few shots been filled on a bartop, off shoot of the reg joint venture leasehold with the vulture fund crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Some shish joint opened tonight usual drive thru video posted with few shots been filled on a bartop, off shoot of the reg joint venture leasehold with the vulture fund crowd.

I think you’ll find it’s called Shush, I’d hate for you to be hungry and disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Not great to be honest. Never really took off from the location they're in, I've been there on weekend nights and it's been empty most of the time.

I go in there for food every couple of weeks. Yeah the place is a bit meh,

The food is nice, but it's really annoying, we went in there like three times in a row around 2/3pm and they'd be out of mash and veg each time. You'd think they'd just have more ready, to heat up!

Was annoying for us as we'd go in specifically for the turkey and ham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

What is the story with the Maryland (I know the rumoured history, etc) but are there flats above it and are they still lived in?

Is it just the owner doesn't care and won't do anything with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

Popped into the new bar by the Reg, Shush. Quite impressed, they have done a lovely job on the place. €12.90 for a pint and a glass of wine. Will definitely return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

That's the first I've heard of that and usually my daughter would be hounding me for tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Popped into the new bar by the Reg, Shush. Quite impressed, they have done a lovely job on the place. €12.90 for a pint and a glass of wine. Will definitely return.

Very impressed with it myself. Cocktails are excellent in there. Pity it has the branding and name similar to a strip joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The new bar in the reg is pretty good but the walk up there from john street is not especially when the air hits you ha

Seems the factory are copying other venues acts. They had an ABBA tribute band on last night after Theatre Royal had one on the previous night. They have Live Forever (Oasis tribute) on the 14th Dec with Project having Mad Ferrit on the 23rd Dec. I suppose along with these 80s/90s disco things and Smash hits these are the stuff that sells. Pre drinks and then go to these

Ruby's lounge opening back up at The Lounge

https://www.facebook.com/TheloungeWaterford/

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The new bar in the reg is pretty good but the walk up there from john street is not especially when the air hits you ha

Seems the factory are copying other venues acts. They had an ABBA tribute band on last night after Theatre Royal had one on the previous night. They have Live Forever (Oasis tribute) on the 14th Dec with Project having Mad Ferrit on the 23rd Dec. I suppose along with these 80s/90s disco things and Smash hits these are the stuff that sells. Pre drinks and then go to these

Think the factory are going downhill. Lots of events postponed and cancelled lately, project rightfully getting their #1 place back again with all the promoters and gigs going on! ;)

Think the factory are going downhill. Lots of events postponed and cancelled lately, project rightfully getting their #1 place back again with all the promoters and gigs going on! ;)

Factory is still going strong,King Kong Company in there end of last month and Jeff Mills on in February,id say they are focusing a lot more on student nights though.

Factory is still going strong,King Kong Company in there end of last month and Jeff Mills on in February,id say they are focusing a lot more on student nights though.

Thats republik aswell though because they're based in factory now, lots of great techno acts from different promoters on in Project over the next few months for the usual local crowd, Rebekah, Or:la, SNTS, AIROD,

Yeah I think everyone still has the mindset of the foundry, student venue more so

New purple flag incentive in town

Good idea but could be quite hard to impose unless ur known by every bouncer/publican. We all can have too many drinks and the least of our worries is causing issues where bouncers get involved and **** u out

Ballybricken is always classed as a rough area but tbh the pubs are grand unless u go in asking for trouble. Same for a lot of places. Waterford city is not as busy as we think and hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Good idea but could be quite hard to impose unless ur known by every bouncer/publican. We all can have too many drinks and the least of our worries is causing issues where bouncers get involved and **** u out

Ballybricken is always classed as a rough area but tbh the pubs are grand unless u go in asking for trouble. Same for a lot of places. Waterford city is not as busy as we think and hope

I doubt you are the type that need to worry about this. I say bring it on, you'd want to be very unlucky (dickhead bouncer) or do something very bad to get barred from a pub.

Deiseen wrote: »
    I doubt you are the type that need to worry about this. I say bring it on, you'd want to be very unlucky (dickhead bouncer) or do something very bad to get barred from a pub.

The reg bouncers could have a say in that

When did they class Ballybricken as a rough area :confused:

Or did you just class it as rough in your own little head?

• Advertisement

When did they class Ballybricken as a rough area :confused:

Or did you just class it as rough in your own little head?

The Exchange got a name for being rough when they did the cheap drinks promotion so that could be where they are getting that opinion from. We stopped drinking there after that as it wasn't a nice place to be.

The other pubs in Ballybricken like Nickys or the Tap Room are very nice pubs and never any hassle in there that I've seen

lassykk wrote: »
    The Exchange got a name for being rough when they did the cheap drinks promotion so that could be where they are getting that opinion from. We stopped drinking there after that as it wasn't a nice place to be.

The other pubs in Ballybricken like Nickys or the Tap Room are very nice pubs and never any hassle in there that I've seen

Don't know how one pub selling pints for €3 would make a whole area rough.

People are awful sensitive these days.

Exchange was always known as a bit rough, no matter the price of drinks.

Just more so the heads you'd see in there on an occasion or big sports day.

I drink in Ballybricken and never claimed the whole area to be rough so I'm guessing you are aiming that at PTH and not me despite quoting me.

I was physically threatened twice in the Exchange after the change in pricing and I wouldn't say boo to a ghost even if I'm full of drink so I will stand by my statement that it is rough in there. We drank there for years up to the price change without any hassle.

I drink in Ballybricken and never claimed the whole area to be rough so I'm guessing you are aiming that at PTH and not me despite quoting me.

I was physically threatened twice in the Exchange after the change in pricing and I wouldn't say boo to a ghost even if I'm full of drink so I will stand by my statement that it is rough in there. We drank there for years up to the price change without any hassle.

Yeah sorry was replying to PTH he's seems awful sensitive always calling places rough

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Is there anything to be said for a boardsies 12 pubs this weekend?

Is there anything to be said for a boardsies 12 pubs this weekend?

Be cool but feel it may not make 1 pub with all the agro between us all ha

There was a boards drinks with a few Waterford posters in 2010/11 decent people and night from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

There was a boards drinks with a few Waterford posters in 2010/11 decent people and night from what I remember

We can park the aggro for one night and have a few sociable scoops. What route is the best to take?

Yep myself, ziedth and a few others were there.

We even set up a boards Waterford soccer team too.

All fell to shít of course

• Advertisement

Yep myself, ziedth and a few others were there.

We even set up a boards Waterford soccer team too.

All fell to shít of course

Think I remember the soccer thing starting turning into a non boardsie thing

Advertisement