Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd doubt it would reopen as a nightclub especially with the daytime tourist footfall from Waterford Crystal and the Historic Quarter in general. If I had the money I'd turn it into a high-class restaurant/gastrobar, but alas, I don't, so I didn't :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

AdMMM wrote: »
    It has been bought, or so I've been told. Sean Johnston was the name given to me. He owns the Tycor Business Park, I believe.

he took over the toddle

AdMMM wrote: »
    Have to say that The Exchange are pretty brave to call their new restaurant, which is located right beside the Garda Station, The Hairy Pig! €10 for a carvery and pint :o

good name alright... :) this will be upstairs and will be independant from the bar. Jason who use to be the chef in the showboat will be running it. 3 course meal for €20 is great value and best of luck to him. can't think of many places doing irish food like rocketts in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I heard a rumour that Alfies on Barrack St is going to be leased out to Billy Ryan,anybody know if its true?

I've heard this too, indirectly from billy, I also heard that he's turning his existing place in barack street into a "gentelman's club", but like i said billy said this so we dont know if it is really true. :rolleyes:
    south wrote: »
    good name alright... :) this will be upstairs and will be independant from the bar. Jason who use to be the chef in the showboat will be running it. 3 course meal for €20 is great value and best of luck to him. can't think of many places doing irish food like rocketts in the city centre.

Afaik, Jason is already chef in the exchange since billy took it over.

Ledger wrote: »
    I've heard this too, indirectly from billy, I also heard that he's turning his existing place in barack street into a "gentelman's club", but like i said billy said this so we dont know if it is really true. :rolleyes:

Afaik, Jason is already chef in the exchange since billy took it over.

Jason was there before bill took over. upstairs will be a new thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Does anyone know if the old 'ten' nightclub (f.k.a preachers) has been sold or is about to re-open? I passed it about an hour ago & its doors were open, all the lights on inside (looked like ppl were renovating inside).

Similarly, judging by the amount of stuff being knocked down & skipped out of 'rubys' there is gonna be a major facelift in there. What with the new Harveys Club coming on stream next yr perhaps the city is about to turn a corner?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

^ Harveys Club????
    Please don't tell me they are going to pull this **** again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Harvey's Club, Bar & Steakhouse. Can't make up your mind? Sure why not just build all three! :rolleyes:

Wouldn't mind seeing Ten be re-opened into a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ Harveys Club????
    Please don't tell me they are going to pull this **** again!!!

Bull***t wont happen, all they need now are the people to fill them, are these owners blind ? have a look around the city apart from a wen and sat, Its like a ghost town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

If you book them, they will come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

We need to get coolio back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Went into a niteclub last night and got told i had to put my jacket into the cloakroom, i said to the bouncer that it was ok and i'll bring it in with me but he wouldn't leave me in with it (it's a normal jacket btw lol). I didn't want to argue so i just put it in anyway. Whats the story with that, i'm sure i can do what i want with it? Odd request that one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

First I ever heard of that,

Did you have to pay to put it in? I'd truly tell him to feck off if it was me tbh.

I'm at a loss for words why this would happen.

Some of em enforce it. If you didn't get searched on the way in, I think its to make sure you're not hiding any drink in your jacket. Escape tend to enforce it from my experience. The Forum just give a quick pat to check for naggins, and then its up to you. Harveys leave it up to you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

First I ever heard of that,

Did you have to pay to put it in? I'd truly tell him to feck off if it was me tbh.

I'm at a loss for words why this would happen.

Was only 2euro but it was just being told i had to put it in that i found a bit odd.
    Some of em enforce it. If you didn't get searched on the way in, I think its to make sure you're not hiding any drink in your jacket. Escape tend to enforce it from my experience. The Forum just give a quick pat to check for naggins, and then its up to you. Harveys leave it up to you as well.

It was Escape, my first time ever in the niteclub so i don't know if its a regular request. I can understand the reason but surely they can't enforce it.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Was only 2euro but it was just being told i had to put it in that i found a bit odd.
    It was Escape, my first time ever in the niteclub so i don't know if its a regular request. I can understand the reason but surely they can't enforce it.
    They can enforce it in the same way Ruby's used to enforce no trainers years ago. Last time I was in Escape I was told "Free entry lads, but you're gonna have to put the jackets in the cloakroom" by the bouncer. We said we were only going in for one or two so didnt see the point. He said "Cant have jackets in there, people do be hiding anything in them."

You wouldn't mind if it was free but paying what €10 to get in then being forced to pay €2 for the cloakroom is taking the piss a little bit IMHO. I can understand the naggin problem I was a student myself once and by Jesus we truly took the piss when it came to sneaking in drink.

Happens in a lot of clubs in the uk, you get searched down and have to leave your jacket in, the reason why, people brining in their own drink and weapons, knifes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

It was the same in Preachers and Ruby's when it opened first as far as I remember

Got a look into Ruby's Lounge and Club earlier. Both are completely gutted. I thought they'd just make modifications to the club, but I got a shnakey look up the stairs and its just empty. Where the entry desk was and the fag machine and noticebaord are just knocked through into the club itself. Looks like a complete renovation for both.
    Front Lounge has a nice lick of paint on it too. I also saw two builders eating some sandwhiches while looking out the ruby's lounge window and waving at people looking in. Gave me a giggle.

• Advertisement

Given this thread is 24 pages long, could someone summarise a state of play.

I'd like to know:

Which night clubs are open
    Which late bars are open

What pubs will be open by Christmas
    What pubs have closed since last Christmas

I'd be much obliged :)

By no means 100% accurate, but sure use this as a starting point and we can all add to it.
    Which night clubs are open?
    Masons
    Escape
    Harveys
    Forum Venue
    Forum Lounge
    Kazbar
    Which late bars are open? (Can be late bar at weekends)
    Geoffs
    Kazbar
    The Toddle
    Revolution
    Masons
    The Wacky Apple
    What pubs/clubs will be open by Christmas?
    Front Lounge
    The Woodman (possibly)
    What new or revamped pubs/clubs are on track to be open next year?
    Rubys
    Rubys Lounge
    What pubs/clubs have closed since last Christmas?
    Kitty Kiernan's
    Oskars
    Twister Vicks
    Muldoons
    Rubys
    Rubys Lounge
    The Woodman
    Oxegen

That's pretty much it alright. Rubys and ruby lounge are dead unfortunately. The new club will obviously have a new name but there won't be a lounge element to it. Will be some hell of a club. Will be great for the city.

Left out the numerous pubs dotted around the place e.g. Grimes, Jordan's. Just way too many to mention. Can't see many of them closing any time soon.

Are they going charging into this club? beacuse if the have the same charges as they do in Carlow, It will be a very quiet new club

Good question!

I could live with paying big money in if it was pub prices. The way I drink I'd def spend less if it was €20 in compared to free into Harveys and their prices.

The lounge will be missed even though I hated the lay out of the place. I had some great nights in there over the last few years.

Left out the numerous pubs dotted around the place e.g. Grimes, Jordan's. Just way too many to mention. Can't see many of them closing any time soon.

No, I just wanted to know what changed over the past year or so. Lots of the more established pubs will be there forever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I could live with paying big money in if it was pub prices. The way I drink I'd def spend less if it was €20 in compared to free into Harveys and their prices.

The lounge will be missed even though I hated the lay out of the place. I had some great nights in there over the last few years.

Ruby's Lounge's loss is "The Front Lounges" gain. I'll definitely be going to a late bar that has a band playing rather than a night club. Especially if there is a cover charge. And I'd imagine many of the over 25 age group will be doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

is the woodman opening as a stand alone place? god its tiny like, nice spot but tiny dunno how it could manage by itself

Advertisement