Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian refried beans

Options
  • 26-03-2010 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Can you get them canned in Ireland? I know someone will pop up and tell me I should make them, but I like to have options. Thanks

Comments

Any big supermarket will have them. With the tortilla's and things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yup, but with the whole price watch lark it might not be so easily available. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Yeah, Old El Paso do a tin of them but they're not that great.

I mash up tins of regular baked beans and fry them with whatever spices I feel like. It works well! Much cheaper too ;)

But yeah, somewhat lacking in authenticity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I mash up tins of regular baked beans and fry them with whatever spices I feel like. It works well! Much cheaper too ;)

El Paso vegetarian ones? Have you seen them anywhere? The regular ones seem to have lard in them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Going to the shop shortly and will check the El Paso ones - if lard yikes! Much prefer the homemade ones though

• Advertisement

El Paso vegetarian ones? Have you seen them anywhere? The regular ones seem to have lard in them

:eek:

I didn't know this...

It's been a few years since I last had them but I don't know how I could've missed lard on the label! Maybe they changed their ingredients, hopefully...

:eek:

I didn't know this...

It's been a few years since I last had them but I don't know how I could've missed lard on the label! Maybe they changed their ingredients, hopefully...

Old El Paso have always been Veggie that I can remember.
    I don't actually know where you can get other refried beans.

What spices do you use Donnie?

Ah. When I googled it there were lard-y ones, though I guess I could just go to the shop and check :P

I usually use garlic, cumin and chilli flakes. A marvellous trinity!

http://www.oldelpaso.ie/mexican-food/Spicy-refried-beans.htm

Maybe you had the wrong el paso?

The canned ones taste ok to me. I might try rustle up some homemade at some point to compare.

Aha, I think it was the American version I came across. Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Back from shop: El Paso Refried Beans have the little V sign and no mention of lard (phew) had me going there for a bit. Bought a tin to go with the old huevos rancheros on Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Back from shop: El Paso Refried Beans have the little V sign and no mention of lard (phew) had me going there for a bit. Bought a tin to go with the old huevos rancheros on Sunday morning.

Ah! Good to hear. I think we were all worried there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

My apologies for starting a panic. Have just been to shops and they are vegetarian, also 99% fat free. Maybe some of them in US still use lard. Sorry again, should have double checked. I got spicy ones today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

My apologies for starting a panic. Have just been to shops and they are vegetarian, also 99% fat free. Maybe some of them in US still use lard. Sorry again, should have double checked. I got spicy ones today :)

America seems to have very different ingredients in similar products....
    this isn't anti veggies but seriously sugar in bread!? :o
    ewww!!

and tins of beans with sausages in them! If dominating the world was based on culinary ability I don't think the US of A would be Nr. 1

America seems to have very different ingredients in similar products....
    this isn't anti veggies but seriously sugar in bread!? :o
    ewww!!

We can't really talk about bread though....we have some of the worst in the world.

But yeah how can a nation of tubbies (I am one so I can use that term) not have decent chocolate!
    How is that worth it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

Moonbaby wrote: »
    We can't really talk about bread though....we have some of the worst in the world.

But yeah how can a nation of tubbies (I am one so I can use that term) not have decent chocolate!
    How is that worth it!!!

we can make our own! mmmmm sunflower bread :) *nomnomnom*

I know! Hersheys just so not worth it! Although i wouldnt say no to a reeses cup....mmmm peanutbutter.............

we can make our own! mmmmm sunflower bread :) *nomnomnom*

I know! Hersheys just so not worth it! Although i wouldnt say no to a reeses cup....mmmm peanutbutter.............

They do do magic things to peanuts, and pizza and cream cheese..../droolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

They are often cooked with pork fat as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Found this recipe recently which looks very promising. Have yet to actually try it though.

http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/2007/05/16/wholly-vegetarian-refried-beans-which-taste-like-theyve-been-cooked-with-pork

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh that looks scrumptious, yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Thanks Donnie... Tucking in to your "recipe" right now: cumin & chilli flakes heated in oil, half a tin of beans tipped in on top. Gorgeous!

Haha, glad you like it. I feel a little bad for extolling such a cheater recipe though :p

Advertisement