Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Dunnes Stores stopped making their veggie burgers

Options
  • 22-03-2010 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I am not veggie but enjoyed their veggie burgers as a low cal alternative to burgers, havent been able to get them anywhere for a long time, I tried the Quorn burgers but didnt like them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

my local Dunnes wasn't listed for having Dee's burgers, but they were in stock, so don't be put off if you don't see it on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 psammie

I AM VEGETARIAN AND I USED TO EAT NEARLY EVERY DAY TESCO'S OR DUNNES STORE SOYA BURGERS.
    BUT NOW I CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE. TODAY I COMPLAINED TO THE MANAGER AT DUNNES STORES IN HENRY ST. HE TOLD ME JUST THE BIGGERS SHOPS HAVE IT, EG. TALLAGHT. HE TOLD ME THEY DON'T STOCK IT CAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE SPACE. THIS IS CURIOUS BECAUSE IN ALL THE SHOPS I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THIS BURGERS (THAT INCLUEDES TESCO)THEY HAVE REPLACED IT FOR OTHER VEGGIE PRODUCTS. THE QUORN PRODUCT DON'T TASTE THE SAME. SOME OF THIS PRODUCTS ARE MADE WITH MASHED POTATOES AND CARROTS AND NOT SOYA. THE SAME MANAGER AT DUNNES ALSO TOLD ME THEY DON'T SELL IT ANYMORE BECAUSE THE PRODUCT IS NOT POPULAR WHICH I DON'T BELIEVE AS ALL THE VEGETARIANS ALL KNOW USED TO BUY THIS BURGERS AND EVEN THE MY NON VEGETARIAN FRIENDS LIKED IT AS WELL. I HAVE JUST CALLED DUNNES FROZEN FOOD DEPARTMENT. I WAS WAITING FOR 4 MINUTES AND NOBOBY ANSWERED THE PHONE. COULD ANYBODY TELL ME WHY THESE TWO BIG SUPERMARKETS STOPPED STOCKING THIS BURGERS? I REALLY MAD AT THEM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Can't read the post above it gives me a headache just looking at it.. I used to eat the dunnes vegetarian burgers too but they stopped selling them so i switched to linda mc cartney burgers which were much more expensive and tasted only half as nice as the cheap dunnes ones! Then a few weeks later they stopped stocking those too! Bought quorn burgers and almost threw up while trying to eat them. Still looking for an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

bedlam wrote: »
    Don't know about Dunnes own brand but you could try Dee's burgers if you shop in one of the Dunnes listed (assuming she hasn't expanded into more stores)

they are YUM! bit pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Ooh they're in the Dunnes near me, never seen them before, I'll have to keep an eye out. Are they frozen or refrigerated?

• Advertisement

PSammie, Just a heads up. As I imagine your new to using forums.
    Typing in all caps is considered rude, as it is "Shouting"

Manufacturers are always changing ready-meals, as the perceived wisdom is. If you don't make a fresh new product people will get bored of your brand.

Eating the same thing everyday, doesn't sound particularly goof for you.
    Maybe you might try using this as an opportunity to branch out food wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

syncosised wrote: »
    Ooh they're in the Dunnes near me, never seen them before, I'll have to keep an eye out. Are they frozen or refrigerated?

refrigerated....€3.99 for 2 in Superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Ouch, that's expensive! I will look out for them though, they look delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Oh wow yeah -

Those Dunnes Veggie Burgers are SAVAGE! My O/h who is so not veggie used to be eating all my dunnes veggie burgers instead of his meat ones ... love them, haven't seen them in so long!

Same with the vegetarian Kievs - i loved them! Haven't seen them either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I have emailed Dunnes Stores asking them what is the story with their own brand vegetarian products so will let you know if they reply and what they say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cheers mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

Got an email back to say they have been delisted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why do vegetarians need something that resembles a burger if they are against eating meat? Is it because they miss eating meat products and it is the closest they can get to eating meat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

There's a huge variety of vegetarian burgers out there and only a fraction of them actually resemble meat. I happen to like decent nut, bean or veg burgers because they are delicious. So, no. What point are you trying to make exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Sam, there are a lot of veggies that gave up meat for reasons other than not liking the taste. Those kinds of veggies (myself included) will tend to eat 'meat replacements'. Just because you're a veggie doesn't mean you don't like the taste of meat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Indeed, I adore the taste but not the price. ;)

Although that said, I rarely eat fake meat these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

NorthDub wrote: »
    Got an email back to say they have been delisted :(

What is the email address you used NorthDub - maybe if we all emailled them saying their veggie food selection is the reason we shop there they might consider bringing them back?

I just got off the phone with someone in the head office, it's true guys it's discontinued. She said a few of the bigger stores might still have some stock but most places stop selling it weeks ago and they're not producing any more of their own brand vegetarian products because they sold poorly.
    Anyone know a good alternative for the dunnes veggie mince? I like it because it doesn't taste like real mince. Already tried the quorn version and hated it!!

Ahhh! Well done on getting to the bottom of this. I know that the Tesco mince is this rebranded. Can't remember what brand the Dunnes one was, but must be similar. Have you tried the Tesco mince?

Ahhh! Well done on getting to the bottom of this. I know that the Tesco mince is this rebranded. Can't remember what brand the Dunnes one was, but must be similar. Have you tried the Tesco mince?

Haven't tried the tesco one, I don't think my local tescos stock it, might pop into a bigger one at the weekend and see if they have any. Does it taste similar to the dunnes one?

• Advertisement

I don't know. As far as I know, the Dunnes one had egg in the last version they sold so it was off limits for me, just like the Quorn products. There are a few other brands that do mince, like Fry's, but it would be a lot more expensive than the supermarket brands. Available in frozen sections of health food stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why do vegetarians need something that resembles a burger if they are against eating meat? Is it because they miss eating meat products and it is the closest they can get to eating meat?

Well I for one liked the pretend meat burgers for the BBQ.

I thought it was just the Tescos near us that didn't stock their own brand burgers.

Disappointed to hear, nobody else can get them or the Dunnes version either. Quorn burgers and sausages are pretty horrible IMO.

Used to love the Linda McCartney tomato and herb ones, although their plain ones are still miles better than the Quorn ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi
    See attached update from Tesco
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Just another voice here, but I'm 20 years a veggie and recently changed my diet to be low carb, high protein and these "fake meats" fit the bill, especially as they usually are quite quick to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Every vegetarian is different and has different views regarding the food they eat. I eat it because I need the protein. I love the taste of the quorn chicken, it's really filling and yummy. I honestly don't remember what real meat tastes like!

The mince in Tesco is lovely! Really cheap and so versatile! I loved the soya burgers from Dunnes or Tesco, they have stopped them all together, loved them in buns with cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I'd eat them if we were having a bbq or something just so i don't have to seem different and difficult.

The Tesco ones used to be nice. I only got them once though and kind of forgot about them. Nice snack, and high protein too.

Advertisement