Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brother Ali gig

Options
  • 15-03-2010 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

This saturday, anyone going? tickets were like 12e when i booked them a few months back.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

yep, defo be there.

BK-One is also gonna be spinning some of his album Radio Do Canibal which is also one of the main reasons for me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Also heading along, thought grieves was going to be doing support as he was on the european tour but she he went back to US on Sat. Should be good

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Also heading along, thought grieves was going to be doing support as he was on the european tour but she he went back to US on Sat. Should be good
    i guess you've been watching the facebook uploads from Ali, some really cool videos being posted by him from the tour so far.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    i guess you've been watching the facebook uploads from Ali, some really cool videos being posted by him from the tour so far.

Yeah some good vids alright, did like the one recently with some fan trying to get an autograph from Ali while he was messing around after a gig.

Haven't listened to Us in a while now and been giving it a few spins this week, i have to say its not a patch on his previous efforts, some nice tracks but i'm a bit underwhelmed by it to be honest. Hopefully get a good mix of stuff at the gig and BK-One should be well worth getting in early for

Well wandered into this at 9.25 and he had just started, didnt miss much of the start i think. While he is a very good mc and the dj i thought was good he seems to lack stage presence or something anyway. Gig was alright overall but nothing special. And no 'Letter from the Govt.' grrr

• Advertisement

Well wandered into this at 9.25 and he had just started, didnt miss much of the start i think. While he is a very good mc and the dj i thought was good he seems to lack stage presence or something anyway. Gig was alright overall but nothing special. And no 'Letter from the Govt.' grrr

I thought it was excellent, maybe a bit too much of the whole "put a finger/2 fingers/hand/both arms/an L" in the air hip-hop gig cliches but other than that it was great. He didnt really do as many of his loud a angry songs, it was more a case of his down tempo ones being played instead.
    Great interaction with the crowd and some nice little stories...the whole "I can see only the first row....so I'd like to thank all 13 of ya'll for coming to the gig" was great.
    Also got to talk very briefly with him afterwards and BK-One also. Cool people.

The disappointment of the night was the Irish lads on before hand, Terrorists i think, they where brutal, so bad i had to leave while they where on.
    Apologies to any fans or in fact the lads from the band if you are reading, just not my cup of tea at all.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I thought it was excellent, maybe a bit too much of the whole "put a finger/2 fingers/hand/both arms/an L" in the air hip-hop gig cliches but other than that it was great. He didnt really do as many of his loud a angry songs, it was more a case of his down tempo ones being played instead.
    Great interaction with the crowd and some nice little stories...the whole "I can see only the first row....so I'd like to thank all 13 of ya'll for coming to the gig" was great.
    Also got to talk very briefly with him afterwards and BK-One also. Cool people.

The disappointment of the night was the Irish lads on before hand, Terrorists i think, they where brutal, so bad i had to leave while they where on.
    Apologies to any fans or in fact the lads from the band if you are reading, just not my cup of tea at all.

Yeah there was a bit much of the say 'ho ho' now scream etc...

Did like the parts were he talked in between songs, would defo go see him do some stand up!! :D It seems i was blessed to turn up late so...

EDIT: Also as wasn't up the very front what was going with the whole i'm from south india/north india thing with people in the front row? Wasn't following that at all

It seems i was blessed to turn up late so...

well....there where people there who looked like they where enjoying it. I just wasnt one of them......neither where the group of 6 or 7 people i was there with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

EDIT: Also as wasn't up the very front what was going with the whole i'm from south india/north india thing with people in the front row? Wasn't following that at all

I got there early and was up near the front, there was a group of Indian guys up the at the stage standing beside three girls from Minnesota.......well according to the shout outs anyway. Those girls were mental, they were dancing right from the very start when there was only around 20 people there and "Sky is the Limit" was being looped over the speakers :D

I enjoyed the gig, aside from the "Everybody say Hoooo, say Ho-Ho" crap, but I have to admit the Atmosphere featuring Brother Ali gig two years ago was way better (plus they had the balcony open for that one which is always a plus). Slug is such an intense MC that he actually bounced off Ali's more friendly persona and they worked perfectly on stage together (Ant looked like he wanted to be somewhere else though).

I also wasn't a fan of the support group Class A'z, fair play for them getting up there and giving it a bash but they seemed overly nervous or something because they were swamping pints like crazy and forgetting their lyrics etc. and I wasn't really feeling it at all TBH.

Raekwon wrote: »
    I got there early and was up near the front, there was a group of Indian guys up the at the stage standing beside three girls from Minnesota.......well according to the shout outs anyway. Those girls were mental, they were dancing right from the very start when there was only around 20 people there and "Sky is the Limit" was being looped over the speakers :D

I enjoyed the gig, aside from the "Everybody say Hoooo, say Ho-Ho" crap, but I have to admit the Atmosphere featuring Brother Ali gig two years ago was way better (plus they had the balcony open for that one which is always a plus). Slug is such an intense MC that he actually bounced off Ali's more friendly persona and they worked perfectly on stage together (Ant looked like he wanted to be somewhere else though).

I also wasn't a fan of the support group Class A'z, fair play for them getting up there and giving it a bash but they seemed overly nervous or something because they were swamping pints like crazy and forgetting their lyrics etc. and I wasn't really feeling it at all TBH.

My name is Brother Ali and I am from ALL of America :D

I thought that the 3 The Hard Way gig 1-2 years ago was better, alot more energy. But you are right about Ant, i was talking to him and he was dying for a smoke, he kept disappearing below the turntables to have a cheeky drag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 abandinhope

I'm gonna go with the general consensus here, and say I thought the support were a bit poor, but Brother Ali was great.

I managed to catch three videos. They're right here.

also couple of nice vids with Rob Kelly and Mo K from the studio before the gig

Advertisement