Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XXL Magazine's Top 10 Freshmen of 2010 [Mixtape]

Options
  • 09-03-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Ok, so XXL published a list of their picks for the 10 best new rappers to impact the game this year, they were (in no order):

Jay Rock
    Wiz Khalifa
    Fashawn
    J.Cole
    Nipsey Hussle
    Donnis
    Big Sean
    Freddie Gibbs
    Pill
    OJ Da Juiceman

They have also released a mixtape with a track or two from each artist, download here:
    http://www.xxlmag.com/downloads/DJWhooKidPresentsXXLs10FreshmanFor2010.zip

Ive listened to it and im loving it to be honest.Im a big big fan of Wiz Khalifa, really like Jay Rock, think J.Cole and Donnis have some very good tracks and Fashawn sounds good too.

Had never heard of Pill, Big Sean or Freddie Gibbs but i really like their tracks on the tape so ill check them out.

So all in all i think this was a great idea and i reccommend you download it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Nipsey Hussle seems to be a "Freshman" for the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Nipsey Hussle seems to be a "Freshman" for the last 4 years.

And Wiz Khalifa and Jay Rock for 2 years.

By Freshmen they mean artists who may not be well known by mainstream fans, which is what XXL is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It's hard keep track of all these non mainstream rappers. Must download this as a primer.

I like Pill. He always has whopper beats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

^ I really don't understand how people can listen to southern crap like that.

Want to listen to good but unknown rappers? Bossolo is a pretty dope westcoast rapper. Full of talent if ya ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

i hope thats not the best we'll see in 2010, the majority was pretty poor imo after first listen. Pretty much every track is fairly forgettable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i must live under a rock or a bridge, or live under something because I've only heard of a few of them cats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i only rate jay rock and nipsey hussle and also cory gunz is a better rapper than all of the above hopefully he get some real buzz soon he's just signed with young money i think

i only rate jay rock and nipsey hussle and also cory gunz is a better rapper than all of the above hopefully he get some real buzz soon he's just signed with young money i think

He has.

I put Wiz Khalifa among my favourite rappers at the moment, i would give him another listen.

ye he'spretty good alright, id recommend a rapper called k'nann he has the offical world cup song but he's been around a while but he's really only startin to break mainstream now, give him a listen he's all over youtube

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ye he'spretty good alright, id recommend a rapper called k'nann he has the offical world cup song but he's been around a while but he's really only startin to break mainstream now, give him a listen he's all over youtube

i thought that Akon had the official world cup song? But K'Naan is great, there are a few free mixtapes in the Free Hip-Hop thread.

The 2 on the list that stand out for me are J.Cole and Fashawn, especially Fashawn, his Boy Meets World album is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Authentic

j.cole is the best MC of those 10, production and lyrics wise the rest pose no competition to him whatsoever

my fav after cole is nipssey..the guy is the last coming of west coast gangsta rap in the era of skinny jeans

big sean will be the next drake in the next year or so simply due to kanye west

oj...i still cant belive they put him on there

the rest is forgetable, wiz was hot for a minute but constant talk of weed and nothing else gets you nowhere

i actually go back on what i said about only rating jay rock and nipsey.

iv been listining to a lot of freddy gibs, big sean and j cole and i think these 3 are big sleepers in hip hop at the moment.

im also liken pill too.

anyone got the link for the XXL mixtape or any mixtapes or good tracks from the lads i named above?

and out of the 10 XXL featued artists has any of them dropped an album yet? ( i know jay rock and nispey havnt ) just trying to do a bit of homework on some of these rappers as there is some proper talent.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Authentic

iv been listining to a lot of freddy gibs, big sean and j cole and i think these 3 are big sleepers in hip hop at the moment.

im also liken pill too.

anyone got the link for the XXL mixtape or any mixtapes or good tracks from the lads i named above?

and out of the 10 XXL featued artists has any of them dropped an album yet? ( i know jay rock and nispey havnt ) just trying to do a bit of homework on some of these rappers as there is some proper talent.

cheers

this whole tape is just retarded

cf6efc57.jpg
    http://www.mediafire.com/?odikwwrw2at

cheers authentic this is the one iv being lisinitng to on youtube its class.. thanks

im also liken pill too.

cheers

The link is in the origional post.

Advertisement