Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More break-ins in Bray area

Options
  • 04-03-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

I have heard of several break-ins in different parts of Bray in the past few weeks. They all have been at around 7pm and they get in the back door.
    Also an opal corsa has been seen in the area of the break-in every time.
    This time they seem to target money and cigarettes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

FluffyCat wrote: »
    I have heard of several break-ins in different parts of Bray in the past few weeks. They all have been at around 7pm and they get in the back door.

I must leave the back door open, I live in Fassaroe maybe they'll leave something for me. Well if they come in to my house thats exactly what they will do...leave something for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

FluffyCat wrote: »

Going around breaking into peoples houses to specifically rob cigarettes. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I was done last year just before christmas. 8:30 am while on the school run. Smashed through front door with the alarm blaring - couldnt have cared less. Smashed the house up. Jewellery & handbags. Right down to robbing the kids piggy banks & their rosary beads whatever that was about.....

Although unrelated - Does anyone know what the chopper was up to last night? It was circling us for a few hours with the light on - every few minutes we were up lit up like a beacon...... Also heard the guards were searching Springfield... weird !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

they were searching for people who were evading arrest having been seen leaving a house in suspicous circumstances.

if you want to konw whats going on in Bray contact your local community Garda
    listing of them and the areas they cover can be found here

Your community Garda should be a position to let you know about recent Burglaries in the area and crime trends for your area, also if you have a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme contact your local organiser.

Cool..thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

We were done yesterday around 5pm. Luckily my parents were just coming in the door and disturbed them. It was 2 young guys around 15/16 they think - hard to tell because it all happened so fast. Our dogs were going crazy and they knew something was wrong when they came in the front door. They pried the double glazing windows open with a spade from the garden. The windows were locked but they still mananged to. I'm specifying the double glazed as we thought you weren't able to open them easily!

They got as far as the living room before Dad disturbed them so we were VERY lucky. Dad ran after them, one of them turned to him and apologised (he thinks), he knows he said something like that anyway. They leapt up onto our shed and over our high wall.

We're off Herbert Road/ by Ardmore Studios and have a semi detached so I suppose we're easily accessible. Apparently it's the 8th break in in the area in the last 2 weeks.

The guards called up but there were no finger prints on the window which was weird. They advised to make sure you lock all tools in the shed so that there's nothing that can be used to open stuff, even ladders.

We were so lucky, unfortunately for others they haven't been and won't be. They must have been watching the house because they weren't out very long at all. Our neighbours haven't been broken into since they let their dog as such have the run of their house - our dogs were limited to the kitchen but now we're letting them around the house. It was too cold to leave them out yesterday.

Our shed has been targeted a few times in the last year - nothing of value in there. Mums car was broken into a few months ago also so the guards are saying that's it's all to do with people being hard off because of the recession etc - no excuse!!

There was a guy caught for the car incident who pleaded guilty and guilty to other break ins around, apparently he gets fined / put away for a month or whatever and constantly repeats his offences and has done for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks for the heads up Lil'Smiler ... we're not too far from you, so I'll keep an eye out for any people who look as if they 'don't belong' around the place.

No worries, I knew there was someone on here who was near enough to me.

Pretty sucky, didn't have a great nights sleep after that. Oddly none of our neighboburs heard or saw anything and it was only 5pm!!

No worries, I knew there was someone on here who was near enough to me.

Pretty sucky, didn't have a great nights sleep after that. Oddly none of our neighboburs heard or saw anything and it was only 5pm!!

Unfortunately none of us pay any heed to anything. Im right beside you & there was 18 houses done in 1 week. Its brutal.........

lucy2010 wrote: »
    Unfortunately none of us pay any heed to anything. Im right beside you & there was 18 houses done in 1 week. Its brutal.........

wow! that's loads. As I said we were extremely lucky but it's left us all a bit shaken, especially for my parents who caught them. I guess Eirom will be doing the rounds again for the alarms so! Our neighbour admitted that he did dose off and didn't hear the dogs...they were indoors but we always hear his yapping!

It must be the same crowd or a few in a group that are doing it

• Advertisement

wow! that's loads. As I said we were extremely lucky but it's left us all a bit shaken, especially for my parents who caught them. I guess Eirom will be doing the rounds again for the alarms so! Our neighbour admitted that he did dose off and didn't hear the dogs...they were indoors but we always hear his yapping!

It must be the same crowd or a few in a group that are doing it

I got a little yapper afterwards - She yaps at the wind. Mine was handbags - I have a lot of expensive handbags - Im not a shoe person - Handbags was my thing.. WAS !!! I had over €2k in handbags alone taken. ( I know im a big fool) so it indicated a girl was involved . The lovely detective left the house here to go off as she knew exactly who they were . But she couldnt catch them with the goods & even still I would have had to prove they were mine.. Mental really. As the forensic guy was here an alarm went off & he jokingly said OH no I want to go home. When he called back the following day he said you'll never guess - That alarm was a break in - I was stunned as it was the afternoon school run being targeted.

But I went off as normal drop kids to school & off to work. My daughters teacher said to me she noticed my alarm was ringing at 830 - 5 minutes after I left the house so they were watching me & my routine. I came straight back to the hall door smashed open. Like that no one noticed a thing. & the gas thing was they all said yeah we heard your alarm - your alarm never goes off. So it just shows people in general pay no heed.

I do feel for your parents though - an elderly man who wasnt long moved inacross the road was done as you say 7pm through the back door. God love him - He was so shaken up. But its true house robberies increase during the recession - free cash for these idiots.

Only advise I have is to buy timers. I bought loads & my esb bill is now through the roof. I rotate them every couple of days when im cleaning so there is no pattern to my automated lights. I leave the TV or the radio on when im out & she goes bananas as soon as someone calls to the door - Anything at all to deter them. But christmas week we came home to the alarm going off & the back patio lock smashed so they are trying again..Such a pain

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

a mates house in fairyhill was done the end off january

two sets of car keys and two cars stolen. nothing else, they left money, laptops, etc.

the whole family were in bed and heard nothing.

irishbird wrote: »
    a mates house in fairyhill was done the end off january

two sets of car keys and two cars stolen. nothing else, they left money, laptops, etc.

the whole family were in bed and heard nothing.

Funny enough ( well if wasnt so serious it would be funny) girl across the road - broke in took the 42" TV off the wall & stole her husbands car to take it away. House was upside down & she was up feeding the baby 5min half asleep before she realised. Happened 3am & they heard nothing. Just coming back from tesco there I passed 3 alarms ringing . Just seem like we are in a huge warp here at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

We had our cars broken into twice in a space of two weeks just before xmas. Also a neighbour disturbed a man in our back garden at 3am around the same time period. The neighbour called the Gardai and gave a full description of the man. The Gardai never even called in to tell us about the reported incident on our property :mad:

We live just of the Boghall Road.

Ok which one of ye is the burgler ? & how you know where I live ??? Joking !

Last night the dog went bananas about 3 am. So bananas I woke ! If its a cat she stops after a min or 2. This went on so I came down. I didnt turn on the kitchen light & next thing a shadow ( person shadow) went racing down the garden. I quickly unbolted patio door & let her out & she went tearing after him/her. They went over wall into the power station. Called the guarda & they were like what yea right yea .. Im still waiting for them to come .... But the worst was came out this am to bring kids to school & he/she had peed down side of my car ( presuming they the only one lurking in my garden last night)

We're pretty much the same, we know when the dogs are only barking for a cat or another dog. It happens often enough so we know the different barks... the latest thing has been squirrels and hedgehogs too! Also, seems that we're in the same area too :(

That's so awful. When I called the guards this time last year for our shed break in, they sent 2 cars up straight away. They came up quick enough to my parents the other night apparently. On the note of them not coming in, last year when I called them they didn't approach me - apparently they don't unless you go out to them it was only that I had called my boyfriend to call up that they came into me because he asked.

Also, not saying that everyone should do it but Dad was so angry and waned to catch them that he threw a broom pole at them, it broke the guards seemed to turn a blind eye when he said this :)

They were saying last night what a pain it is, they called the guy up to fix the window yesterday and that type of double glazing is "old" so we either need to leave it or replace the whole window. They also have to look into an alarm / cctv. Even though nothing was stolen they were saying how disruptive it is, they're worried and they can't go away this weekend because of the window not being fixed and plus they just don't want to leave the house :mad:

Ok which one of ye is the burgler ? & how you know where I live ??? Joking !

Last night the dog went bananas about 3 am. So bananas I woke ! If its a cat she stops after a min or 2. This went on so I came down. I didnt turn on the kitchen light & next thing a shadow ( person shadow) went racing down the garden. I quickly unbolted patio door & let her out & she went tearing after him/her. They went over wall into the power station. Called the guarda & they were like what yea right yea .. Im still waiting for them to come .... But the worst was came out this am to bring kids to school & he/she had peed down side of my car ( presuming they the only one lurking in my garden last night)

what did you say to them when u rang the station ? and what exactly did they the say to you ?
    also you can find useful advice here to help prevent further problems .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MotorBB

If people posted their location in bray and approx time maybe we could work out a pattern, im a taxi driver in the bray area and see alot of strange folk hanging around at different times and places

vasch_ro wrote: »
    what did you say to them when u rang the station ? and what exactly did they the say to you ?
    also you can find useful advice here to help prevent further problems .

Ah I didnt mean to give out about the Gardai - They are great normally - Just they never came last night. I just rang & said hi I think ive just disturbed a burgler in my back. He asked my address & said would send a car up. In fairness to them they prob getting so many calls for robberys my shadow in the back was prob last on the list. The female detective down there is lovely & the male detective ( I think his name is Joe)was a godsend the day I was broken into. I used to work on the main st & they were so so good when I was assaulted by a disgruntled customer & with shoplifters. So im sorry for giving out about them.

Motor BB - we all seem to be on the Herbert road near the studios. prob is there is a house nearby who appears to be dealing( Raided recently) and I have all sorts of oddballs hanging around in cars.....

Ah I didnt mean to give out about the Gardai - They are great normally - Just they never came last night. I just rang & said hi I think ive just disturbed a burgler in my back. He asked my address & said would send a car up......

The reason I was asking is that normally that type of call is high priority and i got the impression from the first post that they just laughed off your call, i would be seriously concerned if this was the case

with regards to the pattern again contact your community Garda, also at the neighbourhood watch meetings at the station (approx 5/6 a year) the estate co ordinators have access to pin maps, which map the crime locations in Bray,
    and there is also some analysis of times etc , specific m.o.s if applicable.
    i will post the lastest trends here by the end of the week if there is some demand for it .

• Advertisement

vasch_ro wrote: »
    The reason I was asking is that normally that type of call is high priority and i got the impression from the first post that they just laughed off your call, i would be seriously concerned if this was the case

with regards to the pattern again contact your community Garda, also at the neighbourhood watch meetings at the station (approx 5/6 a year) the estate co ordinators have access to pin maps, which map the crime locations in Bray,
    and there is also some analysis of times etc , specific m.o.s if applicable.
    i will post the lastest trends here by the end of the week if there is some demand for it .

Get them posted please. I did not mention that during my troubles my neighbour a few doors up was broken into and had jewellery stolen. This was at 11pm and on their way out the robbers set fire to a skip in their front garden, what was that all about?. This got my wife talking to other mums at the school run and one mother said in Mountain View drive they had 5 break ins (different houses) in a week :eek:

Yeah I'm in the Herbert Road area.

Every few weeks last year our shed was being targeted for about a year. August 2 years ago I was woken up to the dogs barking, around 5am I'd been tossing and turning as there was a lot of noise outside, some kids and stuff making a racket. I didn't do the curtain twitching thing because it'd probably only make it worse.

I went down to let them outside and our shed door was open, I kind of didn't think much of it as the noise was more distracting, I just somehow noticed that a bottle of Jager was gone from the shelf facing me. I should point out that this shed is kind of like a pantry or utility room for us, the washing machine/dryer is in there and stocks of food like bags of pasta/rice etc. When I looked more a load of food had been taken (crisps etc) and then drink (coke, vodka etc). Turned out those kids had been helping themselves to all the stuff and having a party outside my house without me realising.

We got a different pad lock for the shed and attempted break ins continued for months after. one was successful, my dad went chasing after them in the car and followed them up to those newer houses on kilbride lane opposite the post office there. They dropped the bags of drink they stole and Dad picked them up and the guards supposedly finger printed them... we never got the drink back! My bottle of Cava from my 21st was gone :(

As I said before we know the dogs bark when there's someone outside so there's been a few attempts. The most recent was this weekend last year (I know because my parents were away) and they attempted to break the lock on the shed, as that was unsuccessful they tried to break the wood, they did infact break the wood off the door. I called the guards as the same kids as the last time were all still outside at our wall laughing at me and stuff. They sent 2 cars up immediately.

A neighbour a few doors up was friends with all of them. She moved back in with her mother a while ago and seems to hang around with these kids even though she's older than them. These are the same guys each time, the guards said they'd had a few calls about them before and they were watching them (not hard enough, eh!). So they gave them a stern talking to and took names all that lark and then went up to the house up the road and appeared to search the place and searched all the cars outside. I don't recall them making any arrests but they did threaten.

Apologies for the long post but I just thought I'd give you that insight. I'm not in a "bad area" and it's only in the last while that we've had trouble and the guards have said it is to do with the recession that there's been so many more break ins.

Anyone heard anything more?

I suppose houses might be targeted more at the weekends. Definitely think it's an idea to keep this post active :)

Hey

heard something quite interesting today . I was talking about it to another parent who lives on the boghall rd & she was telling me there are bogus callers calling to people house saying they are from the main alarm & phone company . The householder says no ive no alarm & within days their house is broken into. She said they gardai are aware of this & she listed off about 8 people she knew it had happened to in her area in the last few weeks.All in & around the 5pm to 7pm timeframe. Word of warning if you get such a call ask for ID & do NOT tell them you have no alarm. Also spread the word........
    I actually remember having a number of callers saying they were from the same company but I just cut them off & said no thanks but thinking about it they did not have ID shown like their normal reps do ( In the snow I brought one in for a cuppa as it was pelting down & his ID was on his coat - The mam & sis & whole family were here at the time all stranded & we felt sorry for him )

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

There was an alarm going off all night either on Old Soldiers Rd or in Giltspur Wood -kept waking me up. Wonder if the burglars were about.........wish people would sort out their alarms! If your alarm isn't serviced/attended to isn't that an advertisement to the burglars, as in when nobody deals with the alarm after 5 mins they may as well take their time and really clear the house of it's valuables. I didn't see any Garda cars about so I guess every body just ignored it.

Hi All,

Another break in here yesterday. My parents were coming in at 7pm, a neighbour flagged them down and told them that their neighbours house had been broken into. She'd heard noise in the garden and went out and saw 3 lads in there opening the window up with a spade.. just like our house last week.

This was at the top of the road and on a terraced house. I may as well say now that I'm in Killarney Park so we figure these guys climbed over the wall in Silver Pines or in the grounds of the Coptic Orthodox Church behind.

It's really getting ridiculous now.

Well surely someone on the main road saw something... The studios was chaos last night with the Irelands got talent final.... But i noticed when out walking the other night a gang on the green in Killarney heights, Another gang at the entrance to the B & B at Rectory slopes & another gang at Clover Hill/ Richmond. Do the Garda not move them on anymore?

No it was at the top of the road so it wasn't near the main road at all.

There's always going to be gangs of kids around sure I used to spend all day everyday sitting on the green in ardmore sitting around and chatting to my friends. I don't think gangs are going to be hanging around waiting to break into houses, they're going to be very small groups doing it.

At this stage it's just ridiculous but I don't know what could actually be done about it. The guards said it seems they target houses with lights off and it clear that no one is home.

No it was at the top of the road so it wasn't near the main road at all.

There's always going to be gangs of kids around sure I used to spend all day everyday sitting on the green in ardmore sitting around and chatting to my friends. I don't think gangs are going to be hanging around waiting to break into houses, they're going to be very small groups doing it.

At this stage it's just ridiculous but I don't know what could actually be done about it. The guards said it seems they target houses with lights off and it clear that no one is home.

Aye, they are clever lads all right :rolleyes: Lets face it, the Gardai are feckin useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Apparently another 6 broken into in Kindlestown park in Greystones and 3 near the Burnaby. Typical, yis get rid of em and send em out our way!:P

Advertisement