Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Article] Funding for Seamus Quirke Road/Work Starts in June

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

KevR wrote: »
    A lot of people I have spoken to didn't actually realise that there are bus lanes going in on the SQR/BOD; they thought it was 2+2 all-purpose until I corrected them. I think if everyone was aware that it will be bus lanes then this huge waste of public money would cause a lot more outrage.

Agree that a lot of people don't know that this is for bus lanes.

However, I disagree about the impact this will have. I think evaluating it from the point of view of existing services is premature. However, if a Knocknacarra->Ballybrit/Parkmore very frequent service is not provided as a result of this, then, yes, it will have been a huge waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Called over to a friend in Fort Lorenzo the other day, waited 40 minutes for a bus. no show. Got a taxi instead :mad:. With the frankly crap bus service Galway has these bus lanes will be empty 98% of the time, meanwhile the traffic will be as bad as ever. Whoever farted out this "plan" needs a thump.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When did this start? Looks extremely unprogressed so far anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

MYOB wrote: »
    When did this start? Looks extremely unprogressed so far anyway

around end of November, first week of December they started doing physical work on the road from what I remember driving around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crusheenman

Was passing these works yesterday, seems to be very slow altogether. Very disappointed as i passed in november and there really looks like nothing has been done at all. I also heard that the contractor maybe in trouble and might not be there to finish the job.. hopefully the council would not let this happen..??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Was passing these works yesterday, seems to be very slow altogether. Very disappointed as i passed in november and there really looks like nothing has been done at all. I also heard that the contractor maybe in trouble and might not be there to finish the job.. hopefully the council would not let this happen..??

I presume (hope?) that the contractor had to enter some kind of completion bond or whatever they call it so that the council could get its money back/re-tender it to someone else.

Anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

They're working on a second underground attenuation pond in the green area behind the red railings near the back entrance to the hospital. The other, more advanced, underground attenuation pond is in the Westside pitches.

A few really deep potholes on the SQR now between the Corrib Park roundabout and the lights beside Dunnes. I'm avoiding using that road now because it's so bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

serfboard wrote: »
    Agree that a lot of people don't know that this is for bus lanes.

However, I disagree about the impact this will have. I think evaluating it from the point of view of existing services is premature. However, if a Knocknacarra->Ballybrit/Parkmore very frequent service is not provided as a result of this, then, yes, it will have been a huge waste of money.

Well, now that the SQR upgrades are complete does everybody feel that it was money well spent?

Are the Bus Lanes value for money?
    I'll give you a clue here, the taxi drivers are calling them the Taxi Lanes.

Even by Galway City Councils standards this has been a massive waste of money, massive!!!!

It would not be difficult to change this into a 2+2 road, not too difficult at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Down to 1 lane westbound at the ESB. I think I estimated the final cost at around €300 a square metre and it cost €16m for 1.6km or €1m per 100 Metres of road.

That plus the constant lies and incompetence. :(

Advertisement